cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 20th @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Community Chat, October 20th @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Lumping collectible dolls and doll clothes into “Dolls & Play Sets” is like lumping everything that has wheels together — from luxury automobiles to wheel barrels to roller skates. Did ebay involve any doll collectors, doll buyers, and/or doll sellers when making the decision to change our categories and Item Specifics? And why are the item specifics getting auto filled with nonsense in my existing listings? Will we be responsible for SNADs if a buyer buys an item expecting it be the way ebay auto-fills item specifics without our knowledge? Example, suddenly a collectible doll I have listed in a red dress has in the ebay auto-filled IS that she has red eyes rather than a red dress. Another has dolls eyes as gold, even though her dress is gold. Also, under “Includes” item specifics, ebay randomly grabs an item from the lot listed and puts that in there. Example, I have a listing that includes doll, clothes, accessories, box, and stand, but ebay auto-fills the “includes” IS with only “shoes.” Really? Do I need to go through every single one of my listings and check to see what goofy stuff ebay is auto-filling into my Item Specifics? This is a real nightmare.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 16 of 73
latest reply

Hi Velvet -

Am i reading this correctly -- that we only have 3 days from the time a buyer receives a trading card for them to file a not-as-described?  If so, that doesn't give the buyer any time to work it out with the seller -- the buyer is then FORCED to file a SNAD.

Please clarify if i have that wrong.

Also, as part of that issue... if the damage might be done by the post office, then who is responsible for collecting the damage -- the buyer or the seller?  Can the seller determine that it is the buyer's responsibility?

Thank you!

-----

Message 17 of 73
latest reply

Is eBay working on integrating translated listings on foreign sites in a manner compatible with the eBay API used by third party sellers to support US or English language eBay sites? Could translated auctions be supported? Could translated listings share the same listing ID on multiple eBay sites?

-----

Message 18 of 73
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

Back on Oct. 11, 2017 there was a Community Chat on the topic of Structured Data (and its item specifics).  Is it possible to have a Community Chat in the near future on the topic of Structured Data so sellers can get questions answered?  This would be very helpful before making the myriad recommended updates by February 22, 2022.

Also, where should we go if we have questions about item specifics.  For instance, if I want to fill in the item specific for postcard, do I enter Paper, Cardboard, or both?  Should I also enter Linen, though linen postcards (manufactured from 1930-1956) are NOT made of the material linen; they just look like linen due to the extra high rag content in their making.  Where do I ask this question?

Hello @somanypostcards thanks so much for reaching out! I would use everything that's going to help your buyer find  what you have listed. 

As far as the guided chat, I'm happy to see if we do one on Structured Data for sure, thanks for your input and feedback! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 19 of 73
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

eBay & Samsung recently partnered on a promotion offering eBay gift cards with purchase of select Samsung certified refurbished phones.  However, those listings offered only 14 day returns instead of the 30 day returns required to meet the criteria to be a certified refurbished seller.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Certified-Refurbished-only-14-day-returns/m-p/32374632/hi... 

returns3.jpglisting1.jpg

Why were these listings allowed to violate this explicit policy for certified refurbished items?

Also, buyers were shown a banner that stated 30 day returns along with links to information about eBay's certified refurbished program that also states 30 day returns.

banner2.jpg

What is eBay going to do if these buyers try to return the phone after 14 days but within 30 days?

After the promotion ended, the listings were updated back to 30 days to be in compliance with the policy.

revision history.jpg

14 day returns aren't even supposed to be an option in the cell phone categories according to eBay's general policies on returns 

returnpolicy.jpg

How and why was Samsung allowed to violate these policies while partnering with eBay on this promotion?

Seems like a bit of conflict of interest to me.

-----

Message 20 of 73
latest reply

Hi.  The Art category continues to lack any item specifics capable of sorting listings by date of creation since the recent update.  Do you know if this problem be addressed in the near future?  

-----

Message 21 of 73
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

If the cost of shipping First Class Mail and small packages continues to outpace the cost of living, what future, if any do small sellers have on eBay? Does eBay itself have a future? Also, when will eBay address the imbalance between high shipping costs from the United States to foreign countries and lower cost shipping from foreign countries to the US.

I know this may not help much.  But keep in mind the recent increase is temporary.  It will go away a few weeks short of their normal price increases they announce every January!!!  OUCH!!  

6.jpg

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 22 of 73
latest reply

We were told the shipping team would be updating categories in which Media Mail could be used around mid October.  We are past that and I personally am not seeing any improvements.  I've already waited several months.  Literally several months.  What is going on with these categories?  And others I'm sure.

Crafts-Beads&Jewelry Making-Instruction Books & Media

Crafts-Sewing-Quilting-Quilt Patterns

Crafts- Needlecrafts&Yarn-Crocheting&Knitting-Patterns-Contemporary

Crafts- Needlecrafts&Yarn-Embroidery&Cross Stitch-Hand Embr Patterns & Magazines-Other Patterns & Magazines

Crafts
-Needlecrafts&Yarn-Hand Embr Patterns&Magazines-Embroidery & Cross Stitch-Cross Stitch Patterns

Crafts-Scrapbooking&Paper Crafts-Instruction Books & Media

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 23 of 73
latest reply

I would like to know when they are going to fix the "ExperiencedSellers" board?

It would be nice when you click a post, and it takes you to where you left off and not make you

have to scroll through the thread trying to figure that out.

Very time consuming and annoying.

Message 24 of 73
latest reply

@spinach-eater  Some of us have tried to convince ebay for years that they need REAL category managers, especially in the Collectibles categories, people who actually KNOW something about the collectibles in the category. I suspect ebay is relying instead on "machine learning" and "Artificial intelligence", which is frankly a failure. So, I agree.....ebay: spend some money, hire real people with real knowledge and stop trying to do this as a tech operation....

Message 25 of 73
latest reply

Is eBay ever going to own up to and figure out the issue where buyers randomly can't pay for stuff?  It is ridiculous that I should even get a message like this from a customer:

"I am trying to pay you by many ways but i cant please let me know if you have other way or you can check your payment options"

You are a tech company yet you can't even run your own site or fix recurring issues.  Luckily the buyer seemed to figure it out this time, but in the past I have lost out on thousands of dollars in sales because of this bug.

-----

Message 26 of 73
latest reply

Item specifics do not allow for efficient browsing by collectors (especially for Newly Listed and Ending Soon) for the items they collect. How will eBay address this if categories will not be restored.?

Additionally, for buyers and sellers, the item specifics are a mess that cannot be fixed in their current form. The problem with trying to make drop-down item specifics work for ALL DOLLS is that it is impossible, and you end up with nonsensical, long, drop-down item specifics suggestions that don't even begin to cover the possibilities, and often just won't be used.

I see that eBay still separates cars by make and model in categories. Can you imagine the mess of trying to have ONE drop down for every single model of car ever created, plus all the accessories and parts? That is what eBay has done to the Dolls category.  There is no way to make all item specifics work for 200 years of manufactured and artist dolls by thousands of makers and thousands of artists, with thousands of characters, plus another one for all the clothing and accessories etc. for all the thousands of brands etc.

As an example:  Look at the item specific "character".  There is a nonsensical drop-down list of characters that doesn't even begin to cover the popular doll characters of many eras.  Really, BLANK add your own is the only thing that makes sense for listing sellers. Same for Product Line. What the heck is that? Well, there are some characters in there, and yes, some doll types etc, but it doesn't even make sense.  For instance, Tropical Barbie and Toys R'Us Barbie are in there, but thousands of OTHER Barbie "product lines are NOT, and Silk Cat Family is in there too; that is NOT A DOLL, that is a toy called Calico Critters. 

How will this be addressed? If we are depending on item specifics for buyers finding our items, confusing them (and the sellers) is not productive and will destroy sales.

Message 27 of 73
latest reply

@partsaholic wrote:

Three questions:

1) Is the "Does Not Fit" return reason still considered buyer's remorse? When a buyer selects "does not fit" as the return reason and the seller's return policy is buyer-pays, is the buyer responsible for return shipping?

2) How do returns work through the Global Shipping Program? There is nothing in the help documentation about it. There's an episode of the eBay for Business podcast about it from earlier this year that says GSP returns are to be handled the same way as regular returns, and then Griff/Brian Burke launch into a long-winded thing about how a seller pays for return international shipping. What happens when it's a buyer's remorse return and the seller is not responsible for return shipping costs?

3) The new categories in Motors Parts & Accessories are messed up. Most do not have return policies turned on, so listings can only be made WITHOUT a return policy. I know the stock answer is "wait a few weeks for the new categories to be sorted out" but when will this actually be fixed? It is a huge problem that has been present for over a week now.

Hey @partsaholic

1. Does Not Fit is a remorse reason. So unless a seller offer Free Returns, then the buyer should have to pay return shipping. If the seller doesn't offer a return policy at all, then they would be able to deny the Return request. 

2. GSP transactions follow normal Money Back Guarantee procedures. The difference is that eBay would cover the refund if an item arrived damaged. If it's not as described for another reason, like the wrong color was received, then the seller would be responsible for covering return shipping. If you go here and Control "F" Global then you'll see where it's discussed a few times throughout the help page. 

3. The changes were finalized yesterday and you can refer to the updated posted here for more on that. At this point though, like past category changes, it's now going to be best to edit listings as necessary. I know it's not ideal but hopefully things like return policies can be added back-in using the bulk listing/editing options within the Seller Hub. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 28 of 73
latest reply

The thing is sales just keep getting worse.  Overall I am down 40% in my sales here.  eBay is the only site that seems to be struggling.  I plan on having yet another bad 4th quarter due to these botched changes.

When it comes to the categories, and item specifics I fail to understand why eBay leadership thinks its the seller's problem to figure out and fix.

Message 29 of 73
latest reply

I'm trying to figure out the correct IOSS code we should be using for EU shipments.

On the page where you purchase shipping labels, the customs form has an informational pop-up for AES/ITN/Exemption that says-

IOSS-general.png

This is the information I've been using for all packages. However-

On the Order Details page- packages going to countries in the EU show this-

IOSS.png

So today I used that IOSS number instead of NOEEI 30.37(a), on a package to Germany.

eBay does not pre-fill the IOSS number on the customs form. Which one is correct?

I saw this discussion on the Shipping board that said PostNord in Switzerland is not recognizing the IM2760000742 number which may have something to do with PostNord's system and not the IOSS number- there's not that much info available.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/IOSS-and-double-VAT-taxation/td-p/32158139

Then there was the discussion about how An Post in Ireland is rejecting all packages sent directly with USPS and Royal Mail and citing IOSS information as the reason.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Why-was-my-package-rejected-by-Ireland-customs/m-p/32282468

I haven't heard about any issues from my German buyers when I used NOEEI 30.37(a) on their packages- so I'm wondering if it was a mistake to use IM2760000742 on the package today. Which number is correct and why does eBay not pre-fill the correct IOSS number on the customs form?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 30 of 73
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: