cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, July 7 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Community Chat, July 7 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@rosevelyn wrote:

Tyler,

Removing the undelete function is like removing the restore function of a recycle bin. I have asked for help here and through customer care and the help has not arrived. Please help!!

Hi @rosevelyn - I cannot provide the resolution you are looking for, I'm sorry. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 31 of 60
latest reply

@rosevelyn wrote:

Tyler,

Removing the undelete function is like removing the restore function of a recycle bin. I have asked for help here and through customer care and the help has not arrived. Please help!!

Well what you are saying (and they are saying) is simple:

You deleted and it is now gone;

You get to redo it.

Again not thought out by eBays part fer sure.

Message 32 of 60
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

Even though I know it’s wishful thinking, I am going to occasionally propose an idea or two in the chats. My expectation that any are taken seriously are less than zero. But hey where else am I gonna post it 😊

This time around feedback (yeah aim high!)

Seems like the amount of transactions where feedback is given by buyers I fairly low. Mine is about 50%. I am in Antiques and people there probably give at higher rate because often what I sell people are really grateful to have since they may have been looking around for one for awhile. But what’s the incentive if I buy a pair of socks?

Since eBay now tracks seller defects in other way, consumer feedback, which is extremely subjective, holds less weight.

Feedback needs an overhaul some suggestions:

• End the requirement for a written comment in addition to rating positive, negative or neutral. Or only require for negative. Make it easier for buyers to click one and done.
  • Eliminate written all together and just have positive, negative neutral and star ratings
  • Consolidate all feedback into just one: star rating 1-5 create a new environment where a less than happy customer is no longer a red mark that sticks out like a sore thumb). Someone with what is now a 98% feedback rating would have like 4.75 stars. People might be more likely to leave feedback if it’s easier.
  • Have a feedback score against total number of eBay sales like anyuser(100)/total eBay sales 400 this lets potential buyers know that seller has more experience the their feedback suggests. Offsets the low feedback response rate. Combine this with nay of the above.  If the goal of feedback is to build buyer trust. FB combined with total transactions completed could be a great trust builder. I see a user has a feedback of 25 seems a bit low. Oh wait they have actually sold 100 items  and 25 people who did rate them were happy. Good enough for me.

Sorry, but what sets eBay feedback apart are the comments! I can't imagine why you wouldn't want other buyers to see praise for your customer service (or an explanation of why a negative was left so that you can address it in your reply to it.)

Buyers are either going to leave feedback or they aren't. They already have the ability to leave it without a comment.

Without the comments, a "meh" positive would carry the same weight as someone praising the seller to high heaven for going above and beyond with their service...or problem solving...or whatever. Don't you want other buyers to know why they are rating you the way they are? Don't YOU want to know?

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

@rosevelyn wrote:

After all this time, I do not understand why we cannot chat with "the back office" and get our technical issues cleared up. Why are they kept out of reach with no ability to at least discuss issues here?

I can understand how public access to the technical branch of the company could result in no one getting anything done because they'd be responding to a mountain of messages every day.

That said, can you (eBay contacts here) give us a little more insight into what sort of weekly routine you have with the Engineering side regarding problems you report that are raised here? 

1. When you report a problem, do you have a tracking system into which you're reporting, and a case number that you can follow up on later?

2. Do you have regularly scheduled (e.g. weekly) meetings with other branches of the company?

3. If you're getting stonewalled or ignored when asking for updates or followups on a reported problem, are you able to escalate the case?

Too often (make that far too often), followup queries here are answered with, "We haven't heard anything yet, but when we do, we'll be sure to update you here!" I get the sense that you're trying your best (God knows you get enough dumped on you here), but you seem hampered in your ability to get traction on fixes for issues you report. 

It might be useful for us to confront the higher-ups in person about this during one of the upcoming eBay events, but before that, it would be helpful to get a better sense of what you've been given to work with so far, in terms of how you can report problems, and what else you can do if they're not fixed (or not updated regularly for you).

_____

Edit: Reply to this thread can be found here

Message 34 of 60
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

I also don't need email reminders to leave feedback for a buyer that never paid.

Last I knew we couldn't leave negative feedback. What does ebay want me to say in the feedback of a non-payer?

@carlqsportscards my guess is that these emails are sent through a batch process and scheduled to be sent before the transaction is cancelled, which results in the email being sent. I can definitely pass along this feedback though!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 35 of 60
latest reply

I am glad you responded .but you removed all those listings for a reason & Ebay has received many complaints about counterfeits on this issue.

Its not up to the buyers but Ebay to make this a safe place to do business for buyers and sellers & after many complaints I know of these listings were removed.

It was easy for ebay to find out if they had a huge widespread counterfeit stamp listings by buying a few rolls from a few different sellers privately and having then checked out.Its not the buyers job.

If you don;t notify the buyers about the real likely hood the purchased fake forever stamps in the last month & they receive letters back 3 months from now are you going to refund them?

Again this is a federal crime to knowingly sell Fake forever stamps.

Message 36 of 60
latest reply

I have been meaning to ask: why was "Vacation Mode" deleted, 
being replaced by "time away" which is limited to 30 days?

If that was explained in some document I missed, while I was  in 
hospital, I apologize. Please point me at it and I will be happy.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 37 of 60
latest reply

brittanie@ebay  - nice to see you still here in the chat this week!  I just wanted to check to see if you ever heard anything back on this issue:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/My-Good-Til-Cancelled-items-are-ending-and...

There were many reports of GTC listings disappearing/being delayed in relisting and also many reports of auctions ending with bids going to "unsold" even though they had in fact sold - both of which are very similar to the issues that were seen when there were latency issues at the end of February.

However, unlike when it happened in February, I have not seen any official acknowledgement of it being a "tech issue" or site latency.

Was there a tech ticket opened for this and if so, did the tech team find anything out?

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

Last question: why are there commercials for unrelated pages on the bottom of this pagy are really e?

I don't remember them from before.

They are really annoying, because I keep being bounced to one of those pages when I am trying to read messages in this chat.

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 39 of 60
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

Following up on mams question from the last chat session

When a buyer opens a claim in Ebay, we can enter typed information and pictures if needed and give details as a seller, BUT when a Chargeback is filed [buyer files a claim with their Credit card] those options do NOT exist.  The ONLY thing you can enter is a tracking number.  Depending on the reason for the chargeback that frequently is NOT enough info for Ebay and/or the CCC to have to accurately resolve the Chargeback.  

ALL MP needs to do is allow for comments from the Seller to be entered into the Chargeback record that is reviewed by a REAL person and the info shared with the CCC.  Sellers are LOSING Chargeback claims and getting charged a $20 fee because of it and this is completely unjust and unfair in many cases.  But due to a lack of information by Ebay and therefore the CCC, no one knows the details except the seller which in MP they WON'T allow us to share during the Chargeback process.

@downunder-61 - thank you for this input - I'll make sure that this is submitted to the Payments team for consideration. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 40 of 60
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@greg213213 wrote:

When is the feedback system for buyers that make multiple purchases going to be fixed. I have been trying to leave feedback for my buyer and this is what I get: We ran into a problem saving your feedback. Please close the page and try again.

I have contacted customer support about this issue over 10 days ago and was told that I would be added tp the list and it should be fixed within 48 hours. It has now been over 10 days and again more broken promises from eBay. These constant glitches are getting old real fast. 

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BE FIXED??????

@greg213213 the timeframe you were provided is inaccurate and I apologize for that. While this is a known issue, we don't not have an ETA on when a fix will be implemented.

@greg213213

I am able to leave feedback for buyers who purchase multiple items using bulk feedback. Have you tried that?

That being said, the new bulk feedback is riddled with bugs (it sometimes comes up in German, it sometimes says feedback has already been left when it hasn't, it sometimes displays with the action buttons greyed out). But if I immediately try again once or twice or refresh the sold items page and try again, I can get it to work. Not ideal, but I don't have any instances where I haven't been able to leave it. Hopes this helps...

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

Even though I know it’s wishful thinking, I am going to occasionally propose an idea or two in the chats. My expectation that any are taken seriously are less than zero. But hey where else am I gonna post it 😊

This time around feedback (yeah aim high!)

Seems like the amount of transactions where feedback is given by buyers I fairly low. Mine is about 50%. I am in Antiques and people there probably give at higher rate because often what I sell people are really grateful to have since they may have been looking around for one for awhile. But what’s the incentive if I buy a pair of socks?

Since eBay now tracks seller defects in other way, consumer feedback, which is extremely subjective, holds less weight.

Also, since only positive feedback can be left for buyers current system is diminished in usefulness as a marketplace trust factor. Assumes only sellers are responsible for trust when bad buyers cause just as much distrust as bad sellers (sellers turned of by buyers who flake or do fraud)

Feedback needs an overhaul some suggestions:

• End the requirement for a written comment in addition to rating positive, negative or neutral. Or only require for negative. Make it easier for buyers to click one and done.
  • Eliminate written all together and just have positive, negative neutral and star ratings
  • Consolidate all feedback into just one: star rating 1-5 create a new environment where a less than happy customer is no longer a red mark that sticks out like a sore thumb). Someone with what is now a 98% feedback rating would have like 4.75 stars. People might be more likely to leave feedback if it’s easier.
  • Have a feedback score against total number of eBay sales like anyuser(100)/total eBay sales 400 this lets potential buyers know that seller has more experience the their feedback suggests. Offsets the low feedback response rate. Combine this with nay of the above.  If the goal of feedback is to build buyer trust. FB combined with total transactions completed could be a great trust builder. I see a user has a feedback of 25 seems a bit low. Oh wait they have actually sold 100 items  and 25 people who did rate them were happy. Good enough for me.

@glasser thanks for the suggestions! I don't know what plans we may have for the feedback system going forward, but we can take note of this!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 42 of 60
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Happy to see ebay finally rolling out some changes to stores functionality, and even a dedicated Stores Hub. Any chance ebay will actually Announce this, so we don't have to be guessing about it? And it would be great if you could get the Stores team to come here for a chat....

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques - Thank you for the feedback. I know internally we have provided the feedback that customers would love to hear about the great work our product teams are completing and we'll continue to see what we can do about getting teams to join the chat. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 43 of 60
latest reply

I haven't read through the chat yet as I don't want it to close before I can ask this so I apologize if it has been asked and answered already.  When a buyer clicks on contact seller on a specific item there is a list of questions there. I know at one time we could add and edit to those questions. Is that still possible and if so,where do we do that.

I remember when that function started and we were giving the option of adding it...I never enabled it so when I look at my questions on another ID the questions show up but the answers are all blank so there must be a way for me to change that.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

Also wondering if the quality of CS agents will be addressed.

So much misinformation and incorrect advice resulting  in sellers and buyers being left high and dry because 10 different agents give 10 different answers and usually none of them correct.

Surely someone knows enough about how eBay actually works, to properly train some staff for each country

eBay operates in so issues can be addressed accurately.

Not a big ask, most company's consider this a standard business practice.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 45 of 60
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: