cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, January 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Community Chat, January 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay Thank you for your response from two weeks ago about payments: "Thanks for the additional detail and context @clarkphilatelics - we'll get it sent to the payments team. "

A couple of days ago a payout contained more than 350 lines. About two hours were required to process the report and obtain totals for income, final value fees, eBay postage insertion fees and monthly fees and verify that they added up to the payout amount. Excel functions like SUMIFS were needed to untangle the report, categorize, and rollup transaction amounts. The time spent was taken away from creating new listings.

Surprisingly, extraneous lines referencing three recent debit transactions, from two bank accounts were embedded. When the bank account was changed, a final closing transaction should have been posted to avoid comingling debit transactions from the old account into the next payment transaction of the new account. It would be better if each credit or debit to the bank account was documented in a separate report. Debit transactions should be treated equally with something like "Some of your money is on its way back to eBay" replacing the "Your payout is on its way to your bank account".  All kidding aside, it is a bad idea to comingle payout and debit transactions.

My takeaway is to simplify life by limiting each listing to one category and consider moving postage printing to a third party like Pirate Ship to simplify accounting.

Would it be possible to ask the Payments group to act faster.  The present situation is like the London bus that never left the end of the line. The bus could not leave until all fares were collected and riders were arriving faster than the conductor could make change.

-----

Edit: A reply to your suggestion/request can be found here

Message 61 of 68
latest reply

thank you very much !

Message 62 of 68
latest reply

Thanks for joining the weekly chat this week - it is now closed from further replies but we will continue to work through to ensure that questions receive a response. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 63 of 68
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

On a remorse return where I do not refund the initial postage paid by the buyer, do I then forfeit the final value fees on the whole transaction by doing this?

tks

Hi @fern*wood! At this time, you are correct. The Final Value Fee would not be credited with a partial refund like that. 

Since when velvet@ebay? I know FVF aren't credited on partial refunds- but in the event of a remorse return when original shipping was charged separately- refunding less original shipping has always been considered a "full" refund and triggered an automatic fee credit.

At one point partial refunds allowed for FVF credits if certain stipulations were met @coffeebean832, but since moving to managing our own payments, it's not something we currently offer. You can go here for more on Fee credits and I'll include a screen shot as well: 

velvetebay_0-1643234996906.png

***Update***

I've received follow-up info letting me know that there is one exception to the rule for Final Value Fee credits with partial refunds @coffeebean832 , and that is if it's a remorse Return and the buyer paid for shipping, then a full refund of the item cost only will still provide the full Final Value Fee credit. We are working to update both internal and public facing pages to reflect this. Thanks! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 64 of 68
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

How can ebay or the authenticator NOT be solely responsible for handling a complaint for AFTER the item has been handled, inspected, authenticated, shipped to the buyer and received by the buyer?  There seem to be a lot of posts about complaints falling back onto the lister.

Hi @gracieallen01! The Authenticity Guarantee program is to ensure that items are authentic. If the condition of the item or any other outstanding issues come up, then those would be treated like any other sale/Return. 

If you have a situation where you believe a claim wasn't handled correctly, we'd encourage you to contact Customer Support to appeal the outcome. At the very least, you can get more info as to why the claim was handled the way it was if the appeal is denied. 

velvet@ebay  this is not correct - the terms of the authentication programs specifically state the authentication is not only checking for authenticity, but to confirm condition and that the item matches the listing.

2022-01-26_16-36-19.jpg

Thanks for the follow-up @valueaddedresource. While the primary function of the Authenticity Guarantee is to confirm the item is authentic, we do check to make sure the item matches the listing to the best of our ability. This includes confirming any additional accessories, packaging, etc. are received along with the item purchased as stated in the listing, and that all pieces are genuine. Each category has a unique authentication process and will vary depending on the type of item received.

Ultimately, the responsibility for the condition of the item is the sellers. Just like any other listing on the site, sellers need to be accurate with their titles, descriptions, and item specifics. Our authentication teams will, to the best of their ability, compare the condition to the listing. If the the buyer has concerns upon receiving the item then they are able to open a return. This is to facilitate communication between buyer and seller, allowing them to reach a resolution. Either member can also ask ebay to step in if needed.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 65 of 68
latest reply

@etrusca wrote:

Thank you - this answers part of my inquiry- 

could you please answer whether I am allowed to add a Utube video to an existing listing first uploaded on the computer, especially once it has a bid ?

I have never used Utube and would rather not post something there that the world can see.

Or could I post a video on my business FB page and direct the interested bidder there? , somehow with a link to the listing? 

Thanks for your help here - I fully understand why the prospective bidders find it essential to be able to listen to the music box recordings to see if they sound correct and not damaged - I dont have a very refined enough musical ear to hear damage as it sounds okay to me - the risk involved in shipping this product is great so dont want to have a return and need to substantiate the integrity of it prior to shipping also. Thx E

Sorry if I missed that part of the question @etrusca. You should be able to edit the listing to add the video to the description based on the info you provided and what's found here.

I see @my-cottage-books-and-antiques has offered to help walk you through this process so thank you @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! When you create your new post in the Selling board just make sure you tag them by using the @ symbol and typing out their name. A box will pop up and you can click on their username and that will notify them to your post.  

Velvet,
eBay
Message 66 of 68
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

What is the cutoff time for a payment to come in where it will be processed and available the next day?

Hi @gwzcomps - I don't have a specific time of day that I can find, just that payouts are typically 1-3 business days out depending on a number of factors.  I'll see if I can find more detail and let you know if I do!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 67 of 68
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

tyler@ebay Thank you for your response from two weeks ago about payments: "Thanks for the additional detail and context @clarkphilatelics - we'll get it sent to the payments team. "

A couple of days ago a payout contained more than 350 lines. About two hours were required to process the report and obtain totals for income, final value fees, eBay postage insertion fees and monthly fees and verify that they added up to the payout amount. Excel functions like SUMIFS were needed to untangle the report, categorize, and rollup transaction amounts. The time spent was taken away from creating new listings.

Surprisingly, extraneous lines referencing three recent debit transactions, from two bank accounts were embedded. When the bank account was changed, a final closing transaction should have been posted to avoid comingling debit transactions from the old account into the next payment transaction of the new account. It would be better if each credit or debit to the bank account was documented in a separate report. Debit transactions should be treated equally with something like "Some of your money is on its way back to eBay" replacing the "Your payout is on its way to your bank account".  All kidding aside, it is a bad idea to comingle payout and debit transactions.

My takeaway is to simplify life by limiting each listing to one category and consider moving postage printing to a third party like Pirate Ship to simplify accounting.

Would it be possible to ask the Payments group to act faster.  The present situation is like the London bus that never left the end of the line. The bus could not leave until all fares were collected and riders were arriving faster than the conductor could make change.

I'll pass this additional info along to our payments team @clarkphilatelics. I know they've been looking into reporting and addressing other concerns we've recently sent their way. 😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 68 of 68
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: