cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, January 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Community Chat, January 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@coffeebean832 wrote:

I heard from a seller that was banned from the Community discussion boards that even while logged out they could not access the boards to read- meaning they didn't even have access to eBay Announcements.

Is there something I can suggest to them- or is there a way for you to allow all banned members read-only access so they don't miss out on important eBay Announcements?

Hey @coffeebean832 they'll need to be logged out for a read-only view. Using an incognito browser will usually do the trick! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 46 of 68
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  over on the eBay for Business Facebook page I noticed they recently posted something recruiting volunteers for the community mentor program.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Mentor-Program/Community-Mentor-Program/td-p/31654137

A couple observations:

Several people commented on that post referencing how many previously active contributors here in the community have been banned or run off over the years.  Is it maybe time to re-visit this old suggestion?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-November-25-1-00-pm-PT-Gene... 

Apparently, there are many long-time, and still active sellers that for whatever reason have been permanently banned from the eBay community boards.

Many of these bans may have been justified, but it seems wrong (and unethical) for eBay to permanently ban sellers from their community platform while still allowing them to sell (and pay eBay fees) on the marketplace.

With new senior company and community leadership perhaps eBay can revisit this process on the go-forward, and a means to 'appeal' or re-request access to those that have been banned long ago, but still sell on eBay.

Hopefully all would agree that these seller-customers should be permitted to browse the community board in ‘read-only’ mode (without a work-around like having to sign-out or using an incognito browser session).

If nothing else, every eBay seller should be allowed to ‘read’ the critical announcement boards (even if the user is otherwise banned), if eBay still allows them to sell (or buy) on the site.

Also, I noticed a question on that eBay for Business post asking about phone support for anchor stores - which reminded me that there was never any real resolution to the question about the fate of the Concierge support program.

Any other updates about Concierge since this weekly chat back in June 2021?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-June-9-1-00-pm-PT-General-T...

Hi @valueaddedresource - When it comes to login restrictions the answer I gave in November is still the most applicable (link here). 

As to your question about Concierge - I don't have much more input than Brittanie provided. Is there a specific, recent, concern or question about it that I can address?

Thanks tyler@ebay  - there was not a specific instance on Concierge, but I do continue to hear from sellers who previously had access to Concierge due to having an Anchor store subscription or other criteria that used to qualify are no longer able to access that level of service, which is a concern for those sellers and reminded me of that previous conversation.

If you do find out anything else about the status of the Concierge program, please let me know!

Message 47 of 68
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

tyler@ebay  - there is a very concerning post about a serial pre-sale violator here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/ebay-Preorders-Never-Fulfuilled-amp-No-Refund/td-p/32649715

The seller has been reported repeatedly but has still been allowed to continuing violating the presale policy, with many current listings showing pre-sales as far out as April.

the buyer on that thread @ragnbull has been unable to get any assistance from the regular support channels in getting their money back because it is after the MBG timeline.  However, as you know, community staff have previously confirmed support *can* still assist in these situations, even after that deadline. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Promoted-Funkoween-Presale-Violations/m-p/32013380/highli...

Since regular support has failed to both assist the buyer and take appropriate action against the violating listings, what is the best course of action for this buyer to get assistance?

Thanks for brining this to our attention @valueaddedresource based on the time frame it may be way to old to do anything. It would be best for the member to reach out to eBay for Business so they can take a deeper dive. 

As far as the seller goes, I'm not sure how they are getting their post through so I'll get them in the right hands for review. My assumption on why nothings been done yet is that buyers are not opening the cases so our system isn't catching it. I'll get them looked into for sure! 

Thank you jasmen@ebay but please review the other link I provided - eBay staff here in the community has confirmed in the past that support can still assist buyers on pre-sale violations even after the MBG timeframe.

I know that eBay can and does have the ability to provide courtesy credits in these situations - so again, what is the best course for that buyer to escalate the issue to support personnel who can assist?

@valueaddedresource The best course I would recommend would be to reach out to eBay for Business, they can take the time to deep dive and give the member their options. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 48 of 68
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

A few months back we communicating with the Shipping dept in regards to some addition categories or sub categories that they needed to add to the Media Mail approval list.  I've shared this information more times than I can count directly with the Shipping dept.  

I've tried over the past month to communicate with them but I do not get a response from them.  Last November or so they told me that the stuff I was asking to be added would not get added until their next update that was slated for February of 2022.  I'm just trying to verify that this is really going to happen as they had a few updates last year, I was also told then that they would get added, but they never did.

Hi @mam98031 - I've consistently heard the same thing from the Shipping team re: implementation dates in February. I'm sorry you haven't heard back from them with regards to specifics but I'll make sure that this gets passed to them!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 49 of 68
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

Now that I have done a lot of editing and listing new items, I would like to bring you back to  postcards, specifically non-topical postcards and item specifics.

Two recommended fields - Occasion and artist.  

These are both individually recommended.    Cards that are for occasions like Christmas, Easter are still expected to have the artist field filled in as well.    Postcards that display artwork, still expect an occasion to go with the recommendation of artist.  Renoir did not paint 'occasions', he painted people.

This dilutes the importance of recommended item specifics.  In seller hub, there is a separate bubble for 'item specifics'.  So every Christmas postcard appears there and needs to be touched in some manner.  I have been checking the little box "do not remind me about this again.".   After listing every non-topical postcard.......

Did you know, that if you use the eBay app, that option is not available?  What are those sellers supposed to do in order to clear the not applicable listings from under that bubble? 

There needs to be a serious review to determine if these two fields belong as recommendations rather than additional information.

Thanks so much for your added insight on this @postcardcountry, I'm happy to get this in the right hands! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 50 of 68
latest reply

Thank you - this answers part of my inquiry- 

could you please answer whether I am allowed to add a Utube video to an existing listing first uploaded on the computer, especially once it has a bid ?

I have never used Utube and would rather not post something there that the world can see.

Or could I post a video on my business FB page and direct the interested bidder there? , somehow with a link to the listing? 

Thanks for your help here - I fully understand why the prospective bidders find it essential to be able to listen to the music box recordings to see if they sound correct and not damaged - I dont have a very refined enough musical ear to hear damage as it sounds okay to me - the risk involved in shipping this product is great so dont want to have a return and need to substantiate the integrity of it prior to shipping also. Thx E

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 51 of 68
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

A few months back we communicating with the Shipping dept in regards to some addition categories or sub categories that they needed to add to the Media Mail approval list.  I've shared this information more times than I can count directly with the Shipping dept.  

I've tried over the past month to communicate with them but I do not get a response from them.  Last November or so they told me that the stuff I was asking to be added would not get added until their next update that was slated for February of 2022.  I'm just trying to verify that this is really going to happen as they had a few updates last year, I was also told then that they would get added, but they never did.

Hi @mam98031 - I've consistently heard the same thing from the Shipping team re: implementation dates in February. I'm sorry you haven't heard back from them with regards to specifics but I'll make sure that this gets passed to them!

Maybe we could get someone from the Shipping team to come HERE next Wednesday before they do the update so we can make sure all the categories and sub categories that need to be added get in on the update.

For many of us we have been fighting this battle for almost a year and it is very frustrating.  And it simply doesn't need to be this if we could just communicate.  I haven't been able to do most of my shipping labels in Ebay for almost a year.  So Ebay is losing income too.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 52 of 68
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

tyler@ebay  - there is a very concerning post about a serial pre-sale violator here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/ebay-Preorders-Never-Fulfuilled-amp-No-Refund/td-p/32649715

The seller has been reported repeatedly but has still been allowed to continuing violating the presale policy, with many current listings showing pre-sales as far out as April.

the buyer on that thread @ragnbull has been unable to get any assistance from the regular support channels in getting their money back because it is after the MBG timeline.  However, as you know, community staff have previously confirmed support *can* still assist in these situations, even after that deadline. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Promoted-Funkoween-Presale-Violations/m-p/32013380/highli...

Since regular support has failed to both assist the buyer and take appropriate action against the violating listings, what is the best course of action for this buyer to get assistance?

Thanks for brining this to our attention @valueaddedresource based on the time frame it may be way to old to do anything. It would be best for the member to reach out to eBay for Business so they can take a deeper dive. 

As far as the seller goes, I'm not sure how they are getting their post through so I'll get them in the right hands for review. My assumption on why nothings been done yet is that buyers are not opening the cases so our system isn't catching it. I'll get them looked into for sure! 

Thank you jasmen@ebay but please review the other link I provided - eBay staff here in the community has confirmed in the past that support can still assist buyers on pre-sale violations even after the MBG timeframe.

I know that eBay can and does have the ability to provide courtesy credits in these situations - so again, what is the best course for that buyer to escalate the issue to support personnel who can assist?

@valueaddedresource The best course I would recommend would be to reach out to eBay for Business, they can take the time to deep dive and give the member their options. 

jasmen@ebay thank you but based on recent issues reported with the eBay for Business Facebook page, I don't believe that is the best option.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-for-Business-on-Facebook/m-p/32621190/highlight/true#M192... 

eBay should be providing direct, secure support to this buyer on eBay's own site not requiring them to jump through hoops on a 3rd party site (which also happens to run a competing marketplace).  What would be the best direct support option for this buyer to escalate this issue to a level that can actually assist them?

-----

Message 53 of 68
latest reply

@etrusca wrote:

I need to add a music video to a listing for a music box already up.

I cannot find ANY information or ANY links to instructions on how to post a video anywhere on Ebay, other than old threads recommending Utube which I would rather not do. 

Why is there no information after an announcement was evidently made several months ago.

Now I have a bid on the listing and I dont even know if I will be able to add it.

Somewhere someone said only on the mobile app - but I find 0 information or links there and in fact

very little access to community or help on the app.

As a Top Rated Seller on Ebay for over 23 yrs am exceedingly frustrated. 

Information for sellers needs to be easy to find, presented written in a clear bulleted step format 

that is instructional - even the seller listing video omits key aspects of actually creating a listing properly with necessary details from start to shipping.  

Please update us ASAP if this is possible as its embarrassing not to be able to accomodate a potential bidder when it is essential to be able to verify the functionality of a musical instrument or music box

Thank you very much - Etrusca

Hi @etrusca! There is a feature we're working on to add videos to listings but it's not site wide yet. That's probably what you heard about and were referencing in your post.

For now, there are a few ways to add a video to your listing and I'll include a link to our help page here so you ensure you're following policy.

Upload a video clip using HTML

1. Obtain the 'Embed' code for the video from the video hosting provider (Bing Video, Dailymotion, etc.).
  2. In the Description area on the Sell Your Item form, click on the HTML tab.
  3. Enter the code provided by the video hosting provider in the area where the video should go.
  4. To test if it is working, click on the Preview link, just below the description box.

Upload a YouTube video

Recently, YouTube started using the iframe tag in embedded YouTube Videos into websites.  eBay doesn't allow the usage of the iframe tag, so you should use the old embed object code.

To upload a video clip using the old embed code:

Use the following code in your HTML section of your listing:

<div style="position:relative; text-align:center; margin:auto; width:100%; max-width:600px;">
<div style="width:100%; padding-top:75%;">
<div style="position:absolute; left:0; right:0; top:0; bottom:0; margin:auto;">
<object width="100%" height="100%" type="text/html" allowfullscreen="true" data="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XXXXXXXXXXX?rel=0"></object></div></div></div>

Replace XXXXXXXXXXX with the 11 character code of the You Tube video you want to use in your listing. This code is taken from the end of the video URL in the address bar.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 54 of 68
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

I heard from a seller that was banned from the Community discussion boards that even while logged out they could not access the boards to read- meaning they didn't even have access to eBay Announcements.

Is there something I can suggest to them- or is there a way for you to allow all banned members read-only access so they don't miss out on important eBay Announcements?

Hey @coffeebean832 they'll need to be logged out for a read-only view. Using an incognito browser will usually do the trick! 

If you re-read my post, you'll see that it said they were logged out. I'll tell them to double-check, I guess.

-----

Message 55 of 68
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

jasmen@ebay thank you but based on recent issues reported with the eBay for Business Facebook page, I don't believe that is the best option.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-for-Business-on-Facebook/m-p/32621190/highlight/true#M192... 

eBay should be providing direct, secure support to this buyer on eBay's own site not requiring them to jump through hoops on a 3rd party site (which also happens to run a competing marketplace).  What would be the best direct support option for this buyer to escalate this issue to a level that can actually assist them?

@valueaddedresource if the member doesn't feel comfortable contacting our CS through our social avenues then they are welcome to go through the regular CS channels as well. Either way they need to work with CS to get to the bottom of this. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 56 of 68
latest reply

etrusca, Weekly Chat is closing soon, but if you post your video question on the Selling Board, I think I can lead you through how to do the YouTube video...and how to put it on YouTube without making it "public".

@etrusca 

Message 57 of 68
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

If you re-read my post, you'll see that it said they were logged out. I'll tell them to double-check, I guess.

@coffeebean832 I understand for sure, but it may be a cookies thing which is why I mentioned the incognito window. Hopefully that works for them! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 58 of 68
latest reply

What is the cutoff time for a payment to come in where it will be processed and available the next day?

-----

Message 59 of 68
latest reply

Now that eBay has introduced an authentication program for trading cards, any updates on when the Scan To List tool will include sports cards and other trading cards?

Hey @valueaddedresource! There's been no formal announcement about something like that but I can definitely see how it would be useful. I'll be sure to pass this suggestion on!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 60 of 68
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: