cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, February 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Community Chat, February 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@glgenterprise wrote:

A question was raised on the selling board this week regarding a buyer who wanted to change their method of delivery after purchase and payment.  I actually had the same thing happen last week. In both incidents the buyers were happy to pay the difference in the shipping costs. eBay routinely frowns or blocks the type of communication we need to get those payments cleared without cancelling and relisting the item just to have the same buyer purchase again.

Has the issue of being able to invoice for additional fees post-sale ever been raised? In my case, the buyer wanted expedited shipping and was happy to pay the difference, but getting that done was a way bigger hassle that if I could have just sent an additional invoice to the same buyer via eBay for the additional charges.

@glgenterprise Thanks for bringing this up, in situations like this it's best to cancel and have them purchase again. The buyer can change their shipping address at any time before making payment. I totally get where you're coming from though and the process could be easier, I'm happy to pass it along! 

I know this is an option, but it's a lot of steps to ask a buyer to go through, plus the off chance that the new listing can get bought out from under the buyer - believe it or not I've had that happen - which will make for at least one unhappy buyer. Along with the additional $.30 transaction fee x 2 (not getting the refund on the original transaction fee and then the transaction fee on the new purchase.

Message 16 of 60
latest reply

tyler@ebay  did you ever hear back from the product team about Terapeak Sourcing Insights not working properly for the Motors categories?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-December-29-1-00-pm-PT-Gene... 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Terapeak-Sourcing-Insights-Not-Working-For-eBay-Motors/m-p/319...

If not, can you please follow up with them?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 17 of 60
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  did you ever hear back from the product team about Terapeak Sourcing Insights not working properly for the Motors categories?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-December-29-1-00-pm-PT-Gene... 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Terapeak-Sourcing-Insights-Not-Working-For-eBay-Motors/m-p/319...

If not, can you please follow up with them?

Hi @valueaddedresource - I haven't and I will. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 60
latest reply

With eBay's recent issues with counterfeit Dyson products being sold in the UK does eBay ever intend on taking counterfeits seriously?  I'm still finding counterfeit products that eBay is choosing to allow since it is profitable for eBay.  Reporting does nothing.  There are some items it just isn't possible to buy legit anymore because the scammers will just make 20 accounts and flood the site with the same dangerous counterfeit products.  This is just one of the latest examples I found:

The bar code is wrong, the P/N is wrong, also I think the shape of the label may be wrong.

gwzcomps_0-1643836931638.png

-----

Message 19 of 60
latest reply

@rosevelyn wrote:

Item descriptions in listings have a short margin and therefore appear to be in a column. This has been the case for months.

Hey @rosevelyn I took a look at a few of your listings on the desktop and they look normal to me. Where are you seeing this, is it on mobile specifically? 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 20 of 60
latest reply

When will I get my 1099k?

-----

Edit: A reply to  your question can be found here.

Message 21 of 60
latest reply

@rosevelyn wrote:

Item descriptions in listings have a short margin and therefore appear to be in a column. This has been the case for months.

For context, there's a full discussion with screenshots and many things sellers have done to try to get past it here. It would be good if an eBay rep could review that discussion (in full) after the chat and reply directly to the thread. I've seen the same posters from that discussion post as recently as this week that the problem is still intermittently occurring for them.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 22 of 60
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

Why is eBay not honoring their seller protections for " The buyer did not recognize the transaction" payment disputes?  I have one that has been in limbo since the 15th.  This is my second one now.  The first one closed in my favor immediately once I uploaded tracking that eBay already had.  The current one is just chilling like it has nothing better to do despite being covered by my seller protection.

Never had this problem with PayPal.  It just fixed itself right away.  It's not my fault eBay and its users can't keep their accounts secure.  If you aren't going to honor the protection why offer it?

Hi @gwzcomps! We have to wait for the outcome of the dispute with the payment processor it was opened with, before we can look into providing seller protections. It sounds like your first dispute was determined quickly by the payment source it was opened with, while this second one is taking longer.  

Velvet,
eBay
Message 23 of 60
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - there are several points from the Fall Seller Update that are *very* overdue at this point. I understand in the past you've said "no update available at this time" but considering we are all expecting a Spring update sometime in the next ~ month-ish, we really need a concrete update on these items.

Please escalate this to the appropriate teams and provide an update timeframe for these items as soon as possible or if they have been shelved or indefinitely delayed, please update us with that information.

1. Send discount offers to targeted buyer groups with coded coupons
Sending coded coupons to buyer groups is an easy way for you to encourage existing and potential customers to purchase your items. For example, use coded coupons to target specific buyer groups when your seasonal inventory has the greatest potential to sell.

The following coded coupons options will be available starting in October.
Launching in October

• Send a coded coupon to your previous buyers to encourage repeat business

Launching in the next few months
• Send a coded coupon to your followers on eBay
• Send a coded coupon to eligible buyers who have expressed an interest in the type of inventory you sell

2. Newsletter sign-up from your About tab

In the coming weeks, a new button will appear in your Store’s About tab to encourage buyers to sign up for your newsletters

3. Listing Quality Report

To keep improving the report, we’ve made some updates.

This month, the Listing Quality Report will be available to download in three formats:
• A PDF “one-page summary”
• An Excel “full report” with one tab per category
• A CSV “raw data” file, to be exported for further analysis

In the past, you could see the analysis of your 10 categories with the most live listings. You’ll now be in control of which categories will show up in the report. You’ll also have the option to keep the existing analysis, using the top 10 categories with the most live listings.

Hi @valueaddedresource! I can appreciate your frustration and I wish we had updates to provide. We've passed these requests for more information on a number of times and when we receive news to share, we'll be sure to do so. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 24 of 60
latest reply

@lloydsteventaylor wrote:

When will I get my 1099k?

Hey @lloydsteventaylor sorry you haven't gotten it yet, are you sure you hit the threshold for the year? It should have been generated for everyone that has over $20K or you're in a state where the threshold is lower it would have already been sent to you as well. You'll want to reach out to the payments team to get more info as well if it's missing. Thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 25 of 60
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

With eBay's recent issues with counterfeit Dyson products being sold in the UK does eBay ever intend on taking counterfeits seriously?  I'm still finding counterfeit products that eBay is choosing to allow since it is profitable for eBay.  Reporting does nothing.  There are some items it just isn't possible to buy legit anymore because the scammers will just make 20 accounts and flood the site with the same dangerous counterfeit products.  This is just one of the latest examples I found:

The bar code is wrong, the P/N is wrong, also I think the shape of the label may be wrong.

gwzcomps_0-1643836931638.png

Hey there @gwzcomps! We don't allow the sale of counterfeits and would encourage you to keep reporting anything you come across that appears to be just that. While we have filters in place, some make it live to the site and they aren't being left there purposefully.

If you're seeing a large number that will be a pain to click into and report each one, you can let us know the search parameters you used to locate them all and we can pass that on for a site sweep. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 26 of 60
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

Why is eBay not honoring their seller protections for " The buyer did not recognize the transaction" payment disputes?  I have one that has been in limbo since the 15th.  This is my second one now.  The first one closed in my favor immediately once I uploaded tracking that eBay already had.  The current one is just chilling like it has nothing better to do despite being covered by my seller protection.

Never had this problem with PayPal.  It just fixed itself right away.  It's not my fault eBay and its users can't keep their accounts secure.  If you aren't going to honor the protection why offer it?

Hi @gwzcomps! We have to wait for the outcome of the dispute with the payment processor it was opened with, before we can look into providing seller protections. It sounds like your first dispute was determined quickly by the payment source it was opened with, while this second one is taking longer.  

The outcome of the dispute is irrelevant in this type of case, or are you implying seller protections don't really cover anything unless it is convenient for eBay?  Like I said this was never a problem with PayPal.  PayPal honored their protections immediately since their systems could verify tracking without my intervention.  I kinda feel like this is just another lazy eBay excuse created to avoid accountability to be honest.

Message 27 of 60
latest reply

As the old timers here know, I've been pushing for ebay to actually host videos for a long, long time. So, obviously I'm happy that the video tool has begun its general roll out, and I was glad when I saw that I ahd the new tool available. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I might be waiting even longer for my video to actually go live in my video.

I included a video with a listing on Jan 21st. Today is Feb 2nd. When I go to the listing's revision page, my video is there, but continues to show as "under review". This video is about 25 seconds long. I cannot imagine any reason why it would be rejected, and I have not received any notice that it has been rejected. But....still no video. We are LONG past the 48 hour time frame ebay mentions, and we are now several days beyond the 7 day time frame ebay references. In fact, we will hit two weeks in a couple days (Thank God this wasn't a seven day auction).

To be blunt: This not my idea of a "tech led reimagination" of ecommerce. This is , frankly, absurd. ebay has provided no mechanism by which we can check on the status of a video, the Help pages provide no insight into whether ebay informs you if a video is rejected....this is simply yet another sad example of a Not Ready For Prime Time ebay tool that should have been live and working properly by now.

I suppose I could call Customer Service and try to find out what is going on, but so far, I've just been hoping that ebay would---eventually--- do what it is supposed to do. But it hasn't happened.

What do you suggest I should do?

And WHY is this happening?  If other sellers are having a similar experience, well, sellers won't exactly rush to adopt this.

-----

Message 28 of 60
latest reply

We have to wait for the outcome of the dispute with the payment processor it was opened with, before we can look into providing seller protections.

velvet@ebay 

The question has always been WHY THE WAIT?   Either the seller has obviously satisfied the requirements for seller protection or they haven't.   Actually, there appears to be some progress in this unfortunate situation as outlined in this thread here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/No-response-required-from-seller-on-payment-disputes-anymore/t...

Apparently, you still have to wait...sort of...but they don't snatch your money for a HOLD.  Can you elaborate as to whether that is for all sellers. some sellers, or at eBay's discretion? 

-----

Message 29 of 60
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

I know this is an option, but it's a lot of steps to ask a buyer to go through, plus the off chance that the new listing can get bought out from under the buyer - believe it or not I've had that happen - which will make for at least one unhappy buyer. Along with the additional $.30 transaction fee x 2 (not getting the refund on the original transaction fee and then the transaction fee on the new purchase.

I completely agree with you that the process should be easier, but think about it for a second. If eBay does add an option for sellers to send an additional invoice post-sale, there's no way they're going to waive the 30 cent transaction fee or the FVF on the second invoice so it would cost the same as cancelling and relisting.

Some buyers will not follow through on repurchasing so then you lose the sale.

Once a buyer has paid it's OK to exchange contact info through messages and eBay won't block it so you can invoice them through PayPal, but you should factor in PayPal fees with the shipping upgrade. If you want to keep it on eBay, cancel and relist at a high price like $5k with make offer so nobody else will purchase it, and add the additional 30 cents fee to the upgraded shipping cost.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 30 of 60
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: