cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, February 2 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

I am from NJ and over the threshold . How do  o reach the payment team?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 31 of 60
latest reply

@lloydsteventaylor wrote:

I am from NJ and over the threshold . How do  o reach the payment team?

@lloydsteventaylor if you go to your payments screen you'll see a HELP cox on the right side. From there you can request a call or chat directly with the payments team. Thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 32 of 60
latest reply

Done that they can't help. Can you help please

-----

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

And a second issue that I have had for years - regarding store categories..

I utilize categories within my store, and like to keep a fairly substantial amount of subcategories. Once within the listing page, we do not have the option to add additional categories/subcategories within the listing. I've tried going out and adding the category/subcategory on a separate window, but without saving the listing as a draft and re-opening the draft, the new category will not populate. It seems like way more steps than we should have to go through. Is this something that can be passed on to the team that builds the matrix for listings?

-----

Message 34 of 60
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

We have to wait for the outcome of the dispute with the payment processor it was opened with, before we can look into providing seller protections.

velvet@ebay 

The question has always been WHY THE WAIT?   Either the seller has obviously satisfied the requirements for seller protection or they haven't.   Actually, there appears to be some progress in this unfortunate situation as outlined in this thread here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/No-response-required-from-seller-on-payment-disputes-anymore/t...

Apparently, you still have to wait...sort of...but they don't snatch your money for a HOLD.  Can you elaborate as to whether that is for all sellers. some sellers, or at eBay's discretion? 

Hi @ittybitnot! I've not heard of this happening before with claims. It could be a pilot, or something new that's being applied in certain situations. I'm going to reach out and see what I can find and will follow-up with whatever I'm told. 

-----

Edit: The follow-up to this question can be found here

Velvet,
eBay
Message 35 of 60
latest reply

There was a really great discussion about how blocking users/messages works here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/It-s-2022-C-mon-Ebay-Time-to-Go-Back-to-the-Future/m-p/3266281... 

@popblox brought up that the block is disabled as soon as it becomes a 2-way conversation and provided examples of how she has learned not to immediately reply to some messages just in case it turns into a situation where she wants to block them.

It seems to me that nuance of how the block works is often not completely understood and many community members come here confused why they are still receiving abusive messages from people they have blocked.

I think a lot of users would agree that's not how the block button *should* work and we see a lot of community posts with people wondering why members are still receiving messages after they block someone.

There are also many reports here in the community and on social media about extremely abusive and harassing messages that are reported and nothing is done to stop them. I've personally been on the receiving end of some absolutely vile and threatening messages where the block didn't work for this reason - repeated reports to customer service were met with suggestions to "just ignore it" but no action was ever taken against the user who continued to harass me for over a week.

Why doesn't eBay  make the block function work by stopping further communication at the time the block is placed as many users assume it should or at the very least allow for customer service to review the messages and manually place a block on further communication if found to be abusive?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 36 of 60
latest reply

@lloydsteventaylor wrote:

Done that they can't help. Can you help please

I can get your user ID added to a ticket @lloydsteventaylor but you'll need to work with the payments team directly. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 37 of 60
latest reply

There is no easy way to provide a link/search since there is a mix of real and fake items.  It is probably 60% counterfeit and 40% legit when looking for a "new genuine dell power supply".

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

As the old timers here know, I've been pushing for ebay to actually host videos for a long, long time. So, obviously I'm happy that the video tool has begun its general roll out, and I was glad when I saw that I ahd the new tool available. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I might be waiting even longer for my video to actually go live in my video.

I included a video with a listing on Jan 21st. Today is Feb 2nd. When I go to the listing's revision page, my video is there, but continues to show as "under review". This video is about 25 seconds long. I cannot imagine any reason why it would be rejected, and I have not received any notice that it has been rejected. But....still no video. We are LONG past the 48 hour time frame ebay mentions, and we are now several days beyond the 7 day time frame ebay references. In fact, we will hit two weeks in a couple days (Thank God this wasn't a seven day auction).

To be blunt: This not my idea of a "tech led reimagination" of ecommerce. This is , frankly, absurd. ebay has provided no mechanism by which we can check on the status of a video, the Help pages provide no insight into whether ebay informs you if a video is rejected....this is simply yet another sad example of a Not Ready For Prime Time ebay tool that should have been live and working properly by now.

I suppose I could call Customer Service and try to find out what is going on, but so far, I've just been hoping that ebay would---eventually--- do what it is supposed to do. But it hasn't happened.

What do you suggest I should do?

And WHY is this happening?  If other sellers are having a similar experience, well, sellers won't exactly rush to adopt this.

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I'm sorry this is still ongoing and that I don't have any further updates for you. 'Why' questions will be difficult for me to answer, but I'm happy to get clarification on what the process is now that the 48 hour time frame for moderation review has (very clearly) run its course. 

Would you please get me the item number of the item that is still awaiting review? If you would prefer not to share publicly please let me know in your reply and I will work on an alternative. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 39 of 60
latest reply

Thank you very much

Message 40 of 60
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - there are several points from the Fall Seller Update that are *very* overdue at this point. I understand in the past you've said "no update available at this time" but considering we are all expecting a Spring update sometime in the next ~ month-ish, we really need a concrete update on these items.

Please escalate this to the appropriate teams and provide an update timeframe for these items as soon as possible or if they have been shelved or indefinitely delayed, please update us with that information.

1. Send discount offers to targeted buyer groups with coded coupons
Sending coded coupons to buyer groups is an easy way for you to encourage existing and potential customers to purchase your items. For example, use coded coupons to target specific buyer groups when your seasonal inventory has the greatest potential to sell.

The following coded coupons options will be available starting in October.
Launching in October

• Send a coded coupon to your previous buyers to encourage repeat business

Launching in the next few months
• Send a coded coupon to your followers on eBay
• Send a coded coupon to eligible buyers who have expressed an interest in the type of inventory you sell

2. Newsletter sign-up from your About tab

In the coming weeks, a new button will appear in your Store’s About tab to encourage buyers to sign up for your newsletters

3. Listing Quality Report

To keep improving the report, we’ve made some updates.

This month, the Listing Quality Report will be available to download in three formats:
• A PDF “one-page summary”
• An Excel “full report” with one tab per category
• A CSV “raw data” file, to be exported for further analysis

In the past, you could see the analysis of your 10 categories with the most live listings. You’ll now be in control of which categories will show up in the report. You’ll also have the option to keep the existing analysis, using the top 10 categories with the most live listings.

Hi @valueaddedresource! I can appreciate your frustration and I wish we had updates to provide. We've passed these requests for more information on a number of times and when we receive news to share, we'll be sure to do so. 

velvet@ebay  - I appreciate the efforts of the community team, but honestly that's just not good enough.

In the past the community team has proactively worked to get answers for community users on issues like this, not just left it at "we'll let you know if we hear anything."

If internal teams are ignoring your requests or not responding, that is a huge issue that needs to be escalated and addressed.

It is absolutely unacceptable for important business impacting issues like policy, procedure, and feature changes/updates not to be communicated to the seller community.  If promised updates are not happening, those teams or individuals who are responsible need to be held accountable internally and/or to the wider seller community.

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

-----

Edit: A reply to your update can be found here

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

Would you please get me the item number of the item that is still awaiting review? If you would prefer not to share publicly please let me know in your reply and I will work on an alternative. 

tyler@ebay 

Thank you for not telling @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  to call customer service! 

Message 43 of 60
latest reply

No. I am seeing it not only in my listings, but it's rampant on ebay. One person responded to a post I placed under technical issues in the forum and said it's a Firefox issue, which I use. If it is a Firefox issue, that still needs to be addressed by ebay.

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

There was a really great discussion about how blocking users/messages works here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/It-s-2022-C-mon-Ebay-Time-to-Go-Back-to-the-Future/m-p/3266281... 

@popblox brought up that the block is disabled as soon as it becomes a 2-way conversation and provided examples of how she has learned not to immediately reply to some messages just in case it turns into a situation where she wants to block them.

It seems to me that nuance of how the block works is often not completely understood and many community members come here confused why they are still receiving abusive messages from people they have blocked.

I think a lot of users would agree that's not how the block button *should* work and we see a lot of community posts with people wondering why members are still receiving messages after they block someone.

There are also many reports here in the community and on social media about extremely abusive and harassing messages that are reported and nothing is done to stop them. I've personally been on the receiving end of some absolutely vile and threatening messages where the block didn't work for this reason - repeated reports to customer service were met with suggestions to "just ignore it" but no action was ever taken against the user who continued to harass me for over a week.

Why doesn't eBay  make the block function work by stopping further communication at the time the block is placed as many users assume it should or at the very least allow for customer service to review the messages and manually place a block on further communication if found to be abusive?

Hey @valueaddedresource all great points for sure. The reason why we don't block them from messaging is because they are still within the Money Back Guarantee timeframe and they may still need to communicate with you. If they continue to be abusive we can take additional steps internally as well, but you can't block them from messaging specifically. Anytime you reply to them they have 30 days to reply to your last message, after that they will be blocked. Thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 45 of 60
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: