cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, August 25 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Community Chat, August 25 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Yes, that link works now, and I can find that page each week.

But right up 'til 1pm, and sometimes after that, it doesn't show the current date.

(Replying to message 15...I don't know how to include previous messages in my reply.)

Message 31 of 62
latest reply

Hello,

I started selling on eBay in 1999 and took a couple of years off.  In August 2020, I started to list items again here, but have been unsuccessful in getting many sales.   I sell maybe 10-15 items per month.

I am looking for suggestions on how to get more eyes (and hopefully sales) on my products.  I have tried running sales, but that does not seem to help.  It was suggested that I pretend to revise my items in order to refresh them, but to no avail.   I am beginning to feel the only way to get items sold is to run promoted ads and I am very reluctant to do that. 

Thank you.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 32 of 62
latest reply

Thank you for peeking in on the boards and participating in the community discussions, velvet@ebay. I saw a couple of your replies in some of todays posts and I find I enjoy the thought that someone from eBay is, at the very least, seeing some of the concerns of the community. I know that it's not something you're likely to have time to do as frequently as we would like, but just knowing it's happening is heartening.

-----

Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 33 of 62
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Last week I ask about the bad duplicate listings to Velvet:

Identical auction-style listings are allowed if they but aren't allow if:

It is possible to have multiple auction-style listings for identical items, but there are restrictions, and only one listing without bids will be visible to buyers at a time. Once the first listing receives a bid or ends, the next listing will appear.

I can give you a name, which I have report A LOT , that will list 3-10 identical auctions at a time without any bids. He list anywhere from 350 to 600 auctions a week which about 40-60% are duplicate auctions. I can't believe ebay would allow this for so long, its pretty much devalued fishing lures to nothing.

Hello @tsme35! I'd be happy to pass that specific seller on for a closer review. I'll be reaching out to you shortly for more details. Thanks! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 34 of 62
latest reply

>what browser or system are you using?? [message 17]

Chrome, Windows 10

Message 35 of 62
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

But right up 'til 1pm, and sometimes after that, it doesn't show the current date.

(Replying to message 15...I don't know how to include previous messages in my reply.)

Quote marks on the tool bar will include the post

Message 36 of 62
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

The discussion thread isn't created until the chat starts at 1:00 so if you visit the link early- the discussion won't be there. The eBay team is also human and can run a couple of minutes late- or your clock can run early. You just need to refresh the page. Or join 10 minutes late. LOL

Message 37 of 62
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

The discussion thread isn't created until the chat starts at 1:00 so if you visit the link early- the discussion won't be there. The eBay team is also human and can run a couple of minutes late- or your clock can run early. You just need to refresh the page. Or join 10 minutes late. LOL

Better advice than I could give. thanks.

Message 38 of 62
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I was going to make a call to managed payments to clear up any issues with how chargebacks are dealt with on here. We have been seeing a lot of posts on here and some from the people selling authenticated watches etc where they have posted they are having issues when a customer starts a chargeback. I have been posting that MP should be dealing with these chargebacks as well as PP did when this was your processor. Many have noted that the chargeback rebuttal system is different than PP and not as robust in the event of a fraudulent transaction. I know you may not be able to be very specific here but it has been a concern and since the Pandemic started chargedbacks by sheer number of contactless sales have increased 10 fold per my research on the subject.

Hi @vintagecraze50 - you're right that I don't have a lot of detail to provide when it comes to payments-specific questions. 

I'm happy to see what I can dig into, or at least get your feedback to them as a team. Is there a specific question you have about payment disputes (I'm not supposed to call them 'chargebacks' anymore, 🙃)? If this is more a feedback of "we're seeing reports of more" I can get that in too. 🙂

What tyler@ebay ?  How or why is Ebay planning to change the term "chargeback"?  It is an industry wide word that means it is a Credit Card dispute which is NOT the same thing as a claim filed in Ebay, AKA known as a Payment dispute.  These are two distinctly different processes.  They aren't handled the same and they don't mean the same thing.

And there are plenty of reports on this problem.  Ask jasmen@ebay, I've voiced my concerns with her and she may have a little more information.  Not that there is a fix for this issue or that one is even slated to be on its way but that the problem exists and it is a really serious problem for sellers.

FYI, this problem is NOT specific to Watches.  It is ANY INAD type Chargeback.

-----

edit: A reply to your question can be found here

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 39 of 62
latest reply

@friskya wrote:

With the upcoming Labor Day Holiday weekend, it seems that the eBay policy of marking and item as "shipped" when the only event has been the purchase of the shipping label is causing undue stress on buyers on sellers both. Actually, this could also be said of any transaction.

By way of example, if I sell something on Friday evening (or even Saturday afternoon) and issue the label right away, the buyer immediately sees that their item has been shipped. Allowing for my 2 day shipping, it could be as late as Tuesday (or Wednesday, if Monday is a holiday) before it has to be scanned accepted by the carrier. During this waiting time, the only thing the buyer will see in tracking is that the label was purchased. A few days of that and eventually the seller will start seeing "are you going to actually ship it, or not?" messages.

It might be wiser to add something along the lines of "Shipping label purchased - seller has until XX date to mail" and then once the item has been scanned, THEN advise the buyer that their item has been shipped. Or even just a "Seller has until XX date to ship" message, with no notification that the label has (or has not) been purchased message. The first scan by the transporting carrier should (ideally) be the trigger for notifying the buyer that the item actually is on it's way.

As a secondary question, I've noted that all eBay issued shipping labels default to "Today" if the Pacific time is still before 5:00PM. This even though I've set my preferences to E.T. where I live and ship from. I've mistakenly printed labels long after my local Post Offices have closed, but still before 5:00PM Pacific and they've had todays date as the ship date on the label. I think instead of asking the millions of sellers to consciously remember to check the shipping date, it might be better if there were no default date and we were asked to choose a date at the time of purchase, with an option to select (Today/Tomorrow/The Next Day) as a default for our specific needs.

Hi @friskya - great suggestions! Right now Buyers get several notices from us: one that their order is confirmed (but not yet shipped), and another when the item is 'On the way'. We do advise that it can take time for the tracking number to update, and list the estimated delivery date range as well. However, I can see that an eager Buyer may not necessarily understand or appreciate that. I'll get that one into the suggestion box. 

As to shipping cut off times, I thought that was something you had a bit more control over, but I may be remembering incorrectly. I recall with shipping rate tables you could set up specific cut off times. If that's no longer the case I'll make that suggestion too!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 40 of 62
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

The change was intentional, but the outcome was not (what a phrase, I know). 

Often referred to as the "Law of Unintended Consequences."

Message 41 of 62
latest reply

@mam98031  I thought Payment Dispute was the term used on ebay  for chargebacks and other non-ebay decided payment issues. If the buyer's claim is going through ebay, to be decided by ebay, it's called something else, isn't it? Claim, maybe? I'm not sure....

Message 42 of 62
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@donsdetour wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I was going to make a call to managed payments to clear up any issues with how chargebacks are dealt with on here. We have been seeing a lot of posts on here and some from the people selling authenticated watches etc where they have posted they are having issues when a customer starts a chargeback. I have been posting that MP should be dealing with these chargebacks as well as PP did when this was your processor. Many have noted that the chargeback rebuttal system is different than PP and not as robust in the event of a fraudulent transaction. I know you may not be able to be very specific here but it has been a concern and since the Pandemic started chargedbacks by sheer number of contactless sales have increased 10 fold per my research on the subject.

CS reps can not say much about MP on these chats...

And I do agree the whole mess of charge backs need to be addressed by MP.

Simple solution would be a ship to address that is verified by the CC to stop the blatant fraud that is going on.

So a gift for a grandchild would have to be shipped to the buyer, and then additional shipping paid to get it sent on?

Not a solution.

How in the world would anyone get such an address from the CCC.  The address sellers see is whatever address the buyer designates as their ship to address.  To my knowledge we don't have access to primary addresses much less the address associated with the CC being used.

@donsdetour 

@buyselljack2016 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 43 of 62
latest reply

@friskya wrote:

Thank you for peeking in on the boards and participating in the community discussions, velvet@ebay. I saw a couple of your replies in some of todays posts and I find I enjoy the thought that someone from eBay is, at the very least, seeing some of the concerns of the community. I know that it's not something you're likely to have time to do as frequently as we would like, but just knowing it's happening is heartening.

Awe! Thank you @friskyajasmen@ebay and I are so happy to be here and helping to take a bit of the load off tyler@ebay. We'll jump in and help whenever we can and thank you for the positive feedback. It's appreciated! 😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 44 of 62
latest reply

Or join 10 minutes late. LOL

That's what I do so I'll have something to read!   🙂

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 45 of 62
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: