cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, August 25 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Community Chat, August 25 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Tyler, personally I have not had any problems with this issue. But, my concern is for others here who see these posts, particular people who may want to venture to sell one of those authenticated watches and then see these posts and worry their heads off about a payment dispute. I think people may be concerned that especially with the very excpensive watches with the authenticate, the shoes etc that they would be protected from say a brick sent back to the authentications dept and then how do THEY deal with that from a payment dispute perspective. Please let them know.

Thanks for the clarification @vintagecraze50 - I'll make sure they're aware!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 46 of 62
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I thought Payment Dispute was the term used on ebay  for chargebacks and other non-ebay decided payment issues. If the buyer's claim is going through ebay, to be decided by ebay, it's called something else, isn't it? Claim, maybe? I'm not sure....

Filed through eBay, it's considered a "return request" or "item not received request" unless eBay steps in- then it gets escalated to a claim.

Filed outside of eBay through the buyer's financial institution, it's called a "payment dispute." A chargeback is an industry term- however within eBay they are calling them payment disputes, which is technically correct.

On the Orders page you'll see a link to "requests and disputes" and that's what that means.

Message 47 of 62
latest reply

The only shipping cut off times that I know can be set is for same day handling.  I looked at that setting in the last week.

Message 48 of 62
latest reply

@kosmetik.karnival wrote:

Hello,

I started selling on eBay in 1999 and took a couple of years off.  In August 2020, I started to list items again here, but have been unsuccessful in getting many sales.   I sell maybe 10-15 items per month.

I am looking for suggestions on how to get more eyes (and hopefully sales) on my products.  I have tried running sales, but that does not seem to help.  It was suggested that I pretend to revise my items in order to refresh them, but to no avail.   I am beginning to feel the only way to get items sold is to run promoted ads and I am very reluctant to do that. 

Thank you.

Hey @kosmetik.karnival so happy to hear you're back up and running!

I was checking out your listings, something that may help based on what you sell would be an order size discount promotion. Like "buy one get one X% off" or "Save X amount when you spend X". Usually buyers purchasing makeup want more than one thing so it could help!

You're also welcome to reach out to CS if you have any specifics you want o go into, eBay for Business is a great resource. The sellers here are always a great option too, check out some of the selling boards for more insights! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 49 of 62
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

Or join 10 minutes late. LOL

That's what I do so I'll have something to read!   🙂

That's it.  

Then some of the posts have been replied to by the staff.

As someone with little to contribute, sometimes I tune in waaaaay after it starts.

Message 50 of 62
latest reply

@mam98031  I thought Payment Dispute was the term used on ebay  for chargebacks and other non-ebay decided payment issues. If the buyer's claim is going through ebay, to be decided by ebay, it's called something else, isn't it? Claim, maybe? I'm not sure....

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Payment Disputes = INR or INADs / SNADs when filed on Ebay.

Chargeback = A claim a buyer files directly with their Credit Card company.  On this particular type of issue, if the seller loses the claim, Ebay [as they did in PP] can charge you a $20 fee. 

That fee NEVER applies to a Payment Dispute.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 51 of 62
latest reply

How in the world would anyone get such an address from the CCC.  The address sellers see is whatever address the buyer designates as their ship to address. 

@mam98031 

When a Payment Dispute comes through (it could be a c.card chargeback, a PayPal claim, etc. they are all called the same thing as opposed to an eBay claim)  there are supposedly seller protections in place IF the seller shows appropriate tracking that shows DELIVERED to the address provided by eBay. 

Basically, it USED TO BE the easiest type of Payment Dispute for which a seller would prevail.  We are seeing more and more reports of sellers LOSING such claims, with eBay CS using the old standby "it is the credit card company and nothing we can do."  It is most disturbing to see this. 

I would suspect that the address of the cardholder and the address provided by the "buyer" are not the same, and thus eBay is throwing the sellers under the proverbial bus.

Yes, on my website, I CAN require that the shipping/card holder address would be the same.  It a most stringent requirement that eBay does not use.

Message 52 of 62
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

Yes, that link works now, and I can find that page each week.

But right up 'til 1pm, and sometimes after that, it doesn't show the current date.

The discussion thread isn't created until the chat starts at 1:00 so if you visit the link early- the discussion won't be there. The eBay team is also human and can run a couple of minutes late- or your clock can run early. You just need to refresh the page. Or join 10 minutes late. LOL

Okay. Gottit. Thanks for the help.

Message 53 of 62
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

Yes, that link works now, and I can find that page each week.

But right up 'til 1pm, and sometimes after that, it doesn't show the current date.

@vrykalak 

Virtually every single Tuesday, a Khoros moderator posts a thread on the Selling board and "pins" it to the top of the list of threads (so it stays at the top). The thread on the Selling board will have the correct date, unless, on the rare occasion, the moderator will make an error on the date.

If you open the moderator's thread, there's a link to this board. Generally, this thread is not available until just before 1 p.m. Pacific. You can see from the initial post that this thread was posted at 12:59 p.m. Pacific.

Here's the Khoros moderator's post from the Selling board for this week, just so you'll know what it looks like. It will disappear from the top of the list shortly after the Chat is over.

Community Chat, 08.25.2021 @ 1:00 pm PT – General Topics 

Message 54 of 62
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

I thought Payment Dispute was the term used on ebay  for chargebacks and other non-ebay decided payment issues. If the buyer's claim is going through ebay, to be decided by ebay, it's called something else, isn't it? Claim, maybe? I'm not sure....

Filed through eBay, it's considered a "return request" or "item not received request" unless eBay steps in- then it gets escalated to a claim.

Filed outside of eBay through the buyer's financial institution, it's called a "payment dispute." A chargeback is an industry term- however within eBay they are calling them payment disputes, which is technically correct.

On the Orders page you'll see a link to "requests and disputes" and that's what that means.

Well that is a sure way to add more confusion.  Chargebacks are NOT handled in the same fashion as a payment dispute filed on Ebay.  They are completely different in type and process.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 55 of 62
latest reply

I would think that with c/c, eBay would have the buyer enter the billing address for the c/c being used.

They can also have a ship to address which may be different.

I see this all the time on other websites.

This might help with c/c disputes.

So may lately, it's scary! 

Message 56 of 62
latest reply

Thanks coffeebean!

Message 57 of 62
latest reply

As someone with little to contribute, sometimes I tune in waaaaay after it starts.

Unless I have a pressing issue I want to address, I mainly come here to read what others have problems with, or to see what progress has occurred for past issues that have come up.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 58 of 62
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I was going to make a call to managed payments to clear up any issues with how chargebacks are dealt with on here. We have been seeing a lot of posts on here and some from the people selling authenticated watches etc where they have posted they are having issues when a customer starts a chargeback. I have been posting that MP should be dealing with these chargebacks as well as PP did when this was your processor. Many have noted that the chargeback rebuttal system is different than PP and not as robust in the event of a fraudulent transaction. I know you may not be able to be very specific here but it has been a concern and since the Pandemic started chargedbacks by sheer number of contactless sales have increased 10 fold per my research on the subject.

Hi @vintagecraze50 - you're right that I don't have a lot of detail to provide when it comes to payments-specific questions. 

I'm happy to see what I can dig into, or at least get your feedback to them as a team. Is there a specific question you have about payment disputes (I'm not supposed to call them 'chargebacks' anymore, 🙃)? If this is more a feedback of "we're seeing reports of more" I can get that in too. 🙂

What tyler@ebay ?  How or why is Ebay planning to change the term "chargeback"?  It is an industry wide word that means it is a Credit Card dispute which is NOT the same thing as a claim filed in Ebay, AKA known as a Payment dispute.  These are two distinctly different processes.  They aren't handled the same and they don't mean the same thing.

And there are plenty of reports on this problem.  Ask jasmen@ebay, I've voiced my concerns with her and she may have a little more information.  Not that there is a fix for this issue or that one is even slated to be on its way but that the problem exists and it is a really serious problem for sellers.

FYI, this problem is NOT specific to Watches.  It is ANY INAD type Chargeback.

Hi @mam98031 - sorry to startle you! No - eBay is not planning on trying to change the industry term of 'chargeback'. 

From our perspective there are two types of post-transaction issues: Requests and Payment Disputes. 

A request would be something under the eMBG - so Returns or Item not Received requests. If those aren't resolved we can be asked to step in and assist. 

A Payment Dispute is a dispute raised by a buyer directly with the financial issuer (bank, credit card, PayPal, etc). They can also be called 'chargebacks', but we call them Payment Disputes. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 59 of 62
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining this week's chat! It's closed from further replies, but we'll continue working through any that have not received a response to make sure that everyone's questions are addressed. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 60 of 62
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: