cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, August 25 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: Community Chat, August 25 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Last week I ask about the bad duplicate listings to Velvet:

Identical auction-style listings are allowed if they but aren't allow if:

It is possible to have multiple auction-style listings for identical items, but there are restrictions, and only one listing without bids will be visible to buyers at a time. Once the first listing receives a bid or ends, the next listing will appear.

I can give you a name, which I have report A LOT , that will list 3-10 identical auctions at a time without any bids. He list anywhere from 350 to 600 auctions a week which about 40-60% are duplicate auctions. I can't believe ebay would allow this for so long, its pretty much devalued fishing lures to nothing.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 16 of 62
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

Every week, I have trouble finding this discussion.

OI keep getting sent to the archive, which only shows previous chats. 

What's the secret to finding the current discussion on time?

Use the navigation menu at the top of the page.

chat.png

what browser or system are you using??

Message 17 of 62
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I was going to make a call to managed payments to clear up any issues with how chargebacks are dealt with on here. We have been seeing a lot of posts on here and some from the people selling authenticated watches etc where they have posted they are having issues when a customer starts a chargeback. I have been posting that MP should be dealing with these chargebacks as well as PP did when this was your processor. Many have noted that the chargeback rebuttal system is different than PP and not as robust in the event of a fraudulent transaction. I know you may not be able to be very specific here but it has been a concern and since the Pandemic started chargedbacks by sheer number of contactless sales have increased 10 fold per my research on the subject.

CS reps can not say much about MP on these chats...

And I do agree the whole mess of charge backs need to be addressed by MP.

Simple solution would be a ship to address that is verified by the CC to stop the blatant fraud that is going on.

So a gift for a grandchild would have to be shipped to the buyer, and then additional shipping paid to get it sent on?

Not a solution.

Message 18 of 62
latest reply

@donsdetour- If you're referring to dark mode as seen in my screenshot, that's now available to everyone. You can read about it at the below link including info on how to access it and some of the kinks that still need to be worked out-

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-Community-Platform/Dark-Mode-is-live/m-p/32148786#M23418

Message 19 of 62
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@coffeebean832 wrote:

I don't remember where I read it- but I saw someone say that Business Policies are going away. Is this true??

@coffeebean832 Hi there! I have not heard any rumors of this happening, but if we make any of those types of changes you can always see them here too! 

Your link is to the Announcement Board, as you know for sure, LOL.  But my comment is the search box that appears on that page does NOT search just the Announcement board.  It searches the community.

So if you search for something, hit enter, on the next page you can fine tune your search to be Seller News.  Hit enter and then you can fine tune the search to the Announcement board.

I think it would be extremely reasonable to think that if you were doing a search when you are on the Announcement board that the search would ONLY apply to the Announcement board.  Not make us go through a couple more steps to actually be able to search the Announcement board.

So these are the steps.

1.  Go to the Announcement Board

2.  Type in what you want to search for.

3.  Now there is a Location button showing on the left side above the articles returned.  Select Seller news.

4.  Now you are on the Seller News screen.  Go back to the Location icon and select Announcements so that you can FINALLY find out what announcements pertained to what you were looking for in step ONE.

I'm thinking we can do better.  This is a newer enhancement [a very loose use of that word].

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 62
latest reply

Please, Please, Please, can't something be done to bring the "Request Total From Seller" function into the 21st century, for MOBILE APP buyers.  eBay's own statistics show the mobile app users are increasing by leaps and bounds.

It is a daily problem and frustrates buyers when they buy multiple items and have to pay multiple shipping charges, and then hope for a refund on the overpaid shipping charges.

It is also very frustrating, for sellers, to have to refund these overpayments, with NO refund of eBay fees, on these refunds.  I do always refund the overpayments, as it is the right thing to do, but it is costing me unnecessary, and unfair, fees.

I know it has cost me sales because it causes buyers an unneeded extra hassle.

PLEASE, I beseech you, get this simple fix done.

Message 21 of 62
latest reply

With the upcoming Labor Day Holiday weekend, it seems that the eBay policy of marking and item as "shipped" when the only event has been the purchase of the shipping label is causing undue stress on buyers on sellers both. Actually, this could also be said of any transaction.

By way of example, if I sell something on Friday evening (or even Saturday afternoon) and issue the label right away, the buyer immediately sees that their item has been shipped. Allowing for my 2 day shipping, it could be as late as Tuesday (or Wednesday, if Monday is a holiday) before it has to be scanned accepted by the carrier. During this waiting time, the only thing the buyer will see in tracking is that the label was purchased. A few days of that and eventually the seller will start seeing "are you going to actually ship it, or not?" messages.

It might be wiser to add something along the lines of "Shipping label purchased - seller has until XX date to mail" and then once the item has been scanned, THEN advise the buyer that their item has been shipped. Or even just a "Seller has until XX date to ship" message, with no notification that the label has (or has not) been purchased message. The first scan by the transporting carrier should (ideally) be the trigger for notifying the buyer that the item actually is on it's way.

As a secondary question, I've noted that all eBay issued shipping labels default to "Today" if the Pacific time is still before 5:00PM. This even though I've set my preferences to E.T. where I live and ship from. I've mistakenly printed labels long after my local Post Offices have closed, but still before 5:00PM Pacific and they've had todays date as the ship date on the label. I think instead of asking the millions of sellers to consciously remember to check the shipping date, it might be better if there were no default date and we were asked to choose a date at the time of purchase, with an option to select (Today/Tomorrow/The Next Day) as a default for our specific needs.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comments can be found here

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 22 of 62
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Were you able to get an update on this eBay stores question- was this an intentional change or an oversight- and will the feature be restored?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Sponsored-Listings-within-Stores/m-p/32176015#M1815418

Hi @coffeebean832 - this one is vexxing, but has a sort-of update! The change was intentional, but the outcome was not (what a phrase, I know). 

We're working with teams to get an update, but the last we heard they were working on a solution!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 23 of 62
latest reply

Wow! I don't think  I have ever seen that page [shown in message 14]

What is the URL to get there? (Sorry for being so lame-brained!)

Message 24 of 62
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@donsdetour wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I was going to make a call to managed payments to clear up any issues with how chargebacks are dealt with on here. We have been seeing a lot of posts on here and some from the people selling authenticated watches etc where they have posted they are having issues when a customer starts a chargeback. I have been posting that MP should be dealing with these chargebacks as well as PP did when this was your processor. Many have noted that the chargeback rebuttal system is different than PP and not as robust in the event of a fraudulent transaction. I know you may not be able to be very specific here but it has been a concern and since the Pandemic started chargedbacks by sheer number of contactless sales have increased 10 fold per my research on the subject.

CS reps can not say much about MP on these chats...

And I do agree the whole mess of charge backs need to be addressed by MP.

Simple solution would be a ship to address that is verified by the CC to stop the blatant fraud that is going on.

So a gift for a grandchild would have to be shipped to the buyer, and then additional shipping paid to get it sent on?

Not a solution.

A fast way to get an item nor received case and out money and item> It a common scam man...

Message 25 of 62
latest reply

Been begging for the combined shipping on app for over 3 yrs now, ebay is making money without it, doubt they'll add it.

I found a work around, its a pain but have the buyer send a question on each item, send an offer(for amount), have them accept but tell them not to pay, once they've accepted them all, they show up on sellers side and can send a invoice to buyer.

Message 26 of 62
latest reply

Hi.  A yes or no answer will suffice please. 

In a resent study of the eBay authenticator programs I found this statement:  

Items that are listed on eBay.com from sellers located in Japan, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Germany, South Korea and Italy for delivery to a buyer located within the US are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee

All of the authenticator programs are similar, and say a buyer must be located in the US in order to participate.  

So my question is, is an international buyer that uses a US freight forwarder address allowed to buy a listing for which the authentication program is required? 

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 27 of 62
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@donsdetour- If you're referring to dark mode as seen in my screenshot, that's now available to everyone. You can read about it at the below link including info on how to access it and some of the kinks that still need to be worked out-

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-Community-Platform/Dark-Mode-is-live/m-p/32148786#M23418

Possible browser not going to the update on the link: That is why I asked what browser yu were using, or system...

Message 28 of 62
latest reply

Tyler, personally I have not had any problems with this issue. But, my concern is for others here who see these posts, particular people who may want to venture to sell one of those authenticated watches and then see these posts and worry their heads off about a payment dispute. I think people may be concerned that especially with the very excpensive watches with the authenticate, the shoes etc that they would be protected from say a brick sent back to the authentications dept and then how do THEY deal with that from a payment dispute perspective. Please let them know.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 29 of 62
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

Wow! I don't think  I have ever seen that page [shown in message 14]

What is the URL to get there? (Sorry for being so lame-brained!)

Scroll up. It's at the top of the page you're currently on, assuming you're not on mobile. If your view is different with the menu condensed on the left with horizontal lines to the left of the eBay logo- then you need to zoom out your view. Hit CTRL and - at the same time until the navigation bar shows across the top of the page.

Or you can use the condensed menu by clicking on the horizontal lines and following the same navigation path to the chat.

Message 30 of 62
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: