cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, November 4 @ 1:00 pm PT - Holiday Shipping

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

This week we’re being joined by jen@selling with shipping experts amy@shipping and nate@shipping  to talk about the new QR code and shipping during this holiday season amidst a global pandemic. 

You can download our holiday shipping guide here and check out the seasonal playbook here for helpful tips to get through peak season. 

We’d also love to hear your thoughts and plans about what you are doing or experiencing with carriers. 

The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep refreshing the page and scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be answered after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 76
latest reply
75 REPLIES 75

Re: Community Chat, November 4 @ 1:00 pm PT - Holiday Shipping

@tsme35 wrote:

Thanks but I sell all different size orders and I'm old, easy for me to mess something up lol

@tsme35 , ha! I get that. I'll take the feedback to our team. Thanks again for the suggestions!

~Nate

Message 61 of 76
latest reply

jen@selling wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

jen@selling,

Do you guys really not understand how bad this sort of SNAFU is for ebay?  My God, if we sellers screwed things up as badly as you guys do, we'd be banished from the site. For the Love of God, PLEASE learn to PREVENT errors like this. Jen, I really do WANT to have more confidence in ebay, but when you guys do stuff like this......I'm sorry, but it is just so disheartening to see this sort of thing happening over and over again.

@my-cottage-closet   I appreciate the feedback. I was being human, honest, and transparent in my response.  The launch of several pages within a website is a heavy lift, and as you already recognize, we have a lot of moving parts. Sometimes we have to address changes after the fact even though we try our best to prevent these types of errors. 

I think the point trying to be made was that if this was flip and it was a seller making the mistake of this importance it is likely we would be sanctioned in some way.  "Being Human" is often lost in some of these rules that apply to sellers.  I don't think they meant the comment as a personal attack on you, more of a general comment.

This gets even more noticeable at this time of year.  Hopefully are transactions are increasing which gives us more room to make a mistake because we are ALL mere humans and stuff happens.  Having a one size fits all type policies for how sellers are evaluated is often times problematic for the small sellers especially.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 62 of 76
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Has the Puerto Rican problem ever been solved?

I see PR is still listed under Central America & Caribbean countries.....rather than up with US protectorates, etc........ so if a seller excludes Central America & Caribbean, he excludes Puerto Rico.....which he may not mean to do....... Plus PR buyers get upset when they are excluded from US shipment to them.........

Hi @dhbookds , 

Thanks for the feedback. I know we addressed this issue within labels, but it sounds like it still is persisting in exclusions. I will have the teams investigate. Appreciated!

~Nate

Message 63 of 76
latest reply

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

The chat is now closed. Thanks to everyone who participated! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 64 of 76
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@donsdetour wrote:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/ebay-standard-envelope.html 

I read that page with interest, but have a couple of questions: 

1. USPS, to my knowledge (and I may be wrong on this) does not support tracking on First Class Envelopes, only First Class Packages. This new method promises tracking and shipping protection at what appears to be FCE prices. Is that correct? Will tracking of an eBay "standard envelope" be available from usps.com?
  2. Why is this limited to only "select trading card categories"? How are the contents of the package relevant to the Shipping method (aside from needing to be no more than 3 ounces in weight)? It sounds like a new flavor of Media Mail (although I do understand that trading cards are not valid for MM).

@a_c_green  I love the interest! You are correct in your observations. Similar to other eBay Delivery Services we've launched (like eBay international standard) or plan to, we collaborate with our carriers on the solutions we intend to deliver to the marketplace. These may be solutions not available today.  

Along the same lines, as we work through new offerings, we need to make sure they work out as intended.  For this service, we are working on solving a basic need starting with one category but intend to expand as we see successes in what we roll out. 

Message 65 of 76
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

I don't know if the shipping team is the one responsible for the new "packing slip" but I think the new thing is awful.  It's limited in how much information we can have on it and while I appreciate that you want to splatter the ebay logo on things, I don't particularly want the added cost to print the ebay logo every time.  (thank goodness I don't print in color)

I want to add a message for my buyers, not the pre-selected sillyness that you guys have chosen.  I don't need my seller badge or feedback.   I would like my return policy but I would like to add a bit of detail  .. nothing nefarious, just a reminder that returns need the original tags, in package etc.  

Item price/shipping/tax etc would also be nice.

Of course it is still ok for bulk shipping and the problem packing slip appears to be just when you ship an individual label but it worries me that the bulk shipping packing slip is next.

@golfingaddict  Thanks for your feedback - we'll evaluate the packing slip content and review  with the team to see how we can make it more useful for sellers and buyers. Feedback like this is always helpful. 

Message 66 of 76
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Ok USPS I have delays in tracking info still happen.

One case I had to go to the PO to get a delivery update pushed to be updated.

Have not had a hang up on the packages so far this mounth.

I have seen recent posts of lost or locked in shipping still.

From what has been posted USPS is still a problem.

@donsdetour , 

Thanks for sharing. There were lots of challenges in the past months with many carriers due to the pandemic. I am glad you found creative ways to get delivery tracking updates regardless. We have seen very good improvement overall in the last month, but certainly still some challenges. My main suggestion would be to keep shipping and handling your packages as quickly as possible, use eBay labels or upload tracking automatically, and keep trying to provide the best customer service to your buyers!

Appreciate all you are doing!

~Nate

Message 67 of 76
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

nate@shipping wrote:

@golfingaddict wrote:

Could anyone  please explain why I am still seeing this type of tracking information on all my tracking/shipping info on ebay.  Pre shipment sent to USPS after they already have picked up and processed the package.  (these are still happening frequently)   Buyers are seeing this and it is confusing and irritating to have false information provided to buyers .

tracking1.png

Hi @golfingaddict , 

Thanks for the feedback. This doesn't look right. The pre-shipment even should be coming before the other events. The community team will reach out to see if you can share the specific example tracking numbers for us to dig into. Thanks for sharing!

~Nate

Just to be clear Nate, the pre-shipment is there first, then it gets picked up and then it goes down to the sort facility then EBAY puts in the Pre-shipment info again.  It does not show that way on the USPS site.

I will gather a bunch of tracking numbers to show you but they don't show up on the USPS site, it is only shown that way on ebay.  Perhaps item numbers would be better?

@golfingaddict Tracking numbers should work best, but the more information you can send us, the better. We'll make sure the team gets the right information and responds. Thank you!

Message 68 of 76
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Please keep the chat open 10 minutes longer it took me half an hour to sign in.

QR codes- will this be added as an option for buyer returns and when?

Can the codes be scanned at the self service kiosk?

@coffeebean832  Thanks for joining!  I'm not sure if and when buyer returns will be part of QR codes, but I can say that we are continuing to work on this new service.   

Unfortunately, the self-service kiosks don't have a way to scan QR codes at this time. You do have to bring the QR code to the clerk. 

Message 69 of 76
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

nate@shipping wrote:

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

nate@shipping   Can ebay supply a list of the possible surcharges that sellers will encounter when using Fed Ex and UPS that are not included in the shipping calculator?  

I am always so disheartened when OP's come to the community asking for help with their surprise high bills... usually Fed Ex.  

The poor OP's thought they were saving money and end up paying MUCH more than expected.  

Hey @comics-scifi-collectibles , 

Generally, most of the surprises on carrier invoices I see come through are related to inaccurate weight and dimensions being entered on the listing or label printing pages. It is so important to enter the packaged item details (weight and dimensions) into listings (for calculated shipping listings), and on label printing (for accurate label cost quotes)...but this is often an overlooked element. In general, our calculator supports all surcharges related to delivery address (delivery area surcharges), and to weight and dimensions (additional handling surcharges), and fuel surcharges. However, our calculator isn't equipped to handle package related surcharges...(like these from FedEx Surcharge list - additional handling package related surcharges): 

- is not fully encased in an outer shipping container;
- is encased in an outer shipping container not made of corrugated fiberboard
(cardboard) materials, including but not limited to metal, wood, canvas, leather, hard
plastic, soft plastic (e.g., plastic bags) or expanded polystyrene foam (e.g., Styrofoam);
- is encased in an outer shipping container covered in shrink wrap or stretch wrap; 

We don't have a way to capture on our labels pages this type of non-standard packing additional surcharges.

My recommendation for all users is to enter as accurately as possible (and round up on weight and inches) the fully packaged shipment into our labels pages.

Hope that helps

~Nate

Sorry but the OP's that I help, myself included... have used the correct weight and dimensions and are experienced sellers.   

I know that package surcharges can't be included in the calculator but how about a surcharge list posted on the seller announcements page so it can be referenced easily?  This way sellers won't get hit with a surprise "Christmas Present" when they decide to give Fed Ex a try  

Right now if an OP has a dispute with Fed Ex they are stuck and can not even begin to dispute the fees because eBay says to talk to Fed Ex... Fed Ex says NO ebay is the customer and Ebay must call on the seller's behalf.  

Hi @comics-scifi-collectibles , 

Thanks for you feedback. Here is a list of the most common surcharges I understand, and if they are included or not: 

eBay shipping calculator integrated surcharges:

Additional Handling Surcharge – Dimension

Additional Handling Surcharge – Weight

Additional Handling Surcharge – Peak

Delivery Area Surcharge

Dimensional Weight

Fuel Surcharge

Ground Unauthorized Package Charge

Ground Unauthorized Package Charge – Peak

Oversize Charge

Residential Delivery Charge

Surcharge Added at Label Printing (as-requested):

Declared Value 

Delivery Signature Options

Surcharges not built in our Calculator: 

Additional Handling Surcharge – Packaging

Additional Handling Surcharge – Non-Stackable

Address Correction

Dangerous Goods

As for raising claims, I am sorry you are getting the back and forth. Here is the guide on how to raise a claim with the process for FedEx and UPS.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipcover/shipping-insurance-shipcover?id=4643#section5

Hope that helps some!

~Nate

Message 70 of 76
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

nate@shipping wrote:

@golfingaddict wrote:

Could anyone  please explain why I am still seeing this type of tracking information on all my tracking/shipping info on ebay.  Pre shipment sent to USPS after they already have picked up and processed the package.  (these are still happening frequently)   Buyers are seeing this and it is confusing and irritating to have false information provided to buyers .

tracking1.png

Hi @golfingaddict , 

Thanks for the feedback. This doesn't look right. The pre-shipment even should be coming before the other events. The community team will reach out to see if you can share the specific example tracking numbers for us to dig into. Thanks for sharing!

~Nate

Just to be clear Nate, the pre-shipment is there first, then it gets picked up and then it goes down to the sort facility then EBAY puts in the Pre-shipment info again.  It does not show that way on the USPS site.

I will gather a bunch of tracking numbers to show you but they don't show up on the USPS site, it is only shown that way on ebay.  Perhaps item numbers would be better?

@golfingaddict , 

Thanks. Yes, that doesn't seem right. If you can share tracking numbers that would be best for us!

~Nate

Message 71 of 76
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

jen@selling wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

jen@selling,

Do you guys really not understand how bad this sort of SNAFU is for ebay?  My God, if we sellers screwed things up as badly as you guys do, we'd be banished from the site. For the Love of God, PLEASE learn to PREVENT errors like this. Jen, I really do WANT to have more confidence in ebay, but when you guys do stuff like this......I'm sorry, but it is just so disheartening to see this sort of thing happening over and over again.

@my-cottage-closet   I appreciate the feedback. I was being human, honest, and transparent in my response.  The launch of several pages within a website is a heavy lift, and as you already recognize, we have a lot of moving parts. Sometimes we have to address changes after the fact even though we try our best to prevent these types of errors. 

Jen, if this wasn't almost a "given" with most of what ebay does........it would be more understandable.......  Remember the QR code that was launched but not ready?  Right now we are all wondering what the deal is on Promoted listings credit for 2021......If chat wasn't supposed to close in a few minutes, I could come up with a doz of things...........  Ebay HAS to get this kind of thing fixed in order to earn the respect of sellers......it's at a slow ebb.........

@dhbookds  I hear you. It is not a great feeling when we make mistakes because we are doing our best to set you all up for success, give you the right information at the right time, and be helpful.  I'll share your feedback with our teams, and we will keep working on doing better. 

Message 72 of 76
latest reply

@ynotmore wrote:

I have a more general question - why are invalid or outright false claims if "I did not receive the item" allowed to stay up? 

This results in 3 weeks of harassment to the seller until the case is automatically closed.  I have been repeatedly harassed with reminders to take care of a case - even after customer service knows the claim is false.

2 examples:
1) the buyer won the auction but never paid, and after being told that case is closed, the buyer opens a claim against the seller

2) the claimant never placed a bid or made a commitment to buy - a case is opened against the seller

I don't need the harassment.

Do I need to repeatedly analyze a claim to make sure it's valid?

Repeatedly being told "don't worry about it" is not an acceptable solution to this problem.

@ynotmore 

1. If the buyer hasn't paid, then they are not eligible for the eBay Money Back Guarantee and any item not received request they opened would be purely for communication purposes. Neither the buyer nor the seller would be able to ask eBay to step in on the case, and it won't effect a seller's account in any way. In a situation like this, the request would close automatically after 30 days.

2. I would need an example for this one to be certain, but it sounds like my response to the first example you gave would apply here as well.

I understand being told not to worry about a request when they are often times a high priority situation for sellers can fall short of the reassurance we are aiming for, but when a buyer isn't covered and an item not received request is purely for you and the buyer to communicate, then you wouldn't have anything to worry about beyond responding to the buyer.

Sometimes buyers are confused about whether they have paid, sometimes payment was made outside of eBay, and in very rare instances, payment may have been made through eBay but due to a glitch on our site we aren't able to confirm the payment. In any of these situations, we wouldn't be able to step in and close the request because doing so escalates the request into a case with the eBay Money Back Guarantee and the transaction isn't eligible for our protection program. Just double check that you never received payment, explain to your buyer that they never paid for the order, and direct them to Customer Service if they still have question.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 73 of 76
latest reply

@justsc92 wrote:

I think I should complement eBay on drastically reducing the number of counterfeit listings of Patrick Mahomes cards passed off as reprints or RP in October.  Way down are the sales and listings for counterfeits; No 20 of 25 : 2017 Panini Cracked Ice Auto, No 62 of 75 : 2017 Panini Optic Contenders Auto, No 17 of 25 : 2017 Panini Contenders Draft Class, and 2017 RC Optic Contenders Auto.

While there were reductions, there are more new of the same counterfeits added each day.  There are plenty of sellers to fill the gaps.  I do not see how the VeRo program works unless eBay stops listing from being added.  Trying to keep up with new listings each day would be a burden for any company. 

But while the Patrick Mahomes counterfeit cards stalled, other counterfeits soared.  The 2003 UD Game Jersey Michael Jordan Kobe Bryant Combo game jersey No 8 of 10 counterfeited card took off with 24 sales in October and two sales of over $1000.  There are currently now approx. 20 active listing of this counterfeit card.

Hi @justsc92 - Thanks for this report, we'll make sure it gets passed on appropriately!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 74 of 76
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

The perennial Christmas question............

At one time, if a seller had an ebay message from a buyer asking to change the delivery address for an item for a gift.....it was ok to do it and ebay would back us up with the usual protections.

Then it was NOT ok and we had to cancel the order (pay PP fees, if still in PP, now pay the MP fee), and ask the buyer to repurchase.

What's the rule this year? 

@dhbookds Totally get where you’re coming from. Sellers are protected when they ship to the buyer’s address provided in checkout (which is the one that will show in the Order Details page), the current protections are shown here.

If a buyer needs to update their shipping address after they’ve gone through checkout then the order would need to be cancelled on the seller’s end and re-purchased with the correct address by the buyer. We found this was the best way to verify the item is shipped to the right address, because it can be messy when there are several addresses floating around. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 75 of 76
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: