cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, July 8 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have!

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close the thread from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will work review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: Community Chat, July 8 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Simple question for ebay.  How many seller offenses of committing a felony crime by selling a counterfeit item does it take to be removed from ebay?    One, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000?

I can provide one seller with 150 counts.   Selling over 500 counterfeit cards.

Note: The 1984 Act created an offense, codified at 18 U.S.C. § 2320, which provides that "(w)hoever intentionally traffics or attempts to traffic in goods and services and knowingly uses a counterfeit mark on or in connection with such goods or services" shall be guilty of a felony.       

Edit: Reply to your question can be found here

Message 2 of 70
latest reply

MP sign up Incentives

eBay is doing a disservice to all Sellers who signed up for MP before the incentives to sign up started to appear.  I signed up on the 6th and want whatever the highest incentive is eBay is offering.  I see no reason why that shouldn’t happen ala retro-active.

eBay is also making a BIG MISTAKE in offering incentives … I mean just look at annual tax returns, other than this year tax returns are due on or before April 15 EVERY YEAR, yet many Americans still file for extensions … thinking that everybody receiving notification is going to sign up on time for MP is not a realistic expectation and offering incentives only means that on the next group eBay Indoctrinates, people are going to hold out LONGER for the highest incentives they can get … which again, is a disservice to all those who sign up in plenty of time.

If Sellers don’t want to sign up there is no amount of incentive that will change their minds so eBay needs to take their lumps and move on.  Offering incentives is clearly a sign of desperation …

I signed up using the 3rd reminder … nos. 1 & 2 were read and deleted, no. 3 was read and saved … ALL the ones after 3 (and there were plenty) were deleted.  Last week I got a call from a woman with a British accent, she said she was following up on the eBay message about signing up for MP … I said which one of the 10?  I know the schedule, I know the sign up date and I don’t like the program … she was laughing at that point and didn’t have too much to say … end of conversation.

As of this writing apparently I have NOT been activated in to the program nor received ANY message or communication from eBay, I have explored Seller Hub to no avail on the promised fabulous support I am supposed to be getting … and I quote,

“Exclusive support: Get dedicated, expert payments support during the sign-up process and whenever you need help.”

There was NO option to speak to anyone during the Sign up process …

EDIT: Reply to your question can be found here (Link)

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 70
latest reply

Questions regarding ebay transactions related to the new paypal user agreement updates effective July 31st. As you know managed payments is not yet ready for the coin category but the paypal user agreement updates seem to take away seller protection from us.

Paypal states that "We are clarifying that our Seller Protection Program does not cover Unauthorized Transactions initiated in an environment not hosted by PayPal."

Does this mean ebay checkout hosted by ebay but processed by paypal are no longer receiving any seller protection, and that are ebay transactions are at our own risk in categories where paper payments are not allowed? Or are ebay transactions still going to be protected?

In the same policy update Paypal states

"We are adding payments made in respect of gold (in physical form or in exchange-traded form) to the list of ineligible items and transactions under our Seller Protection Policy."

Does this mean numismatic gold coins sold on ebay are no longer covered by any protection even outside the bullion categories where we aren't allowed to accept any payments other then paypal?

Does ebay have any plans to offer any coverage to help us sell safely?

Any additional or related information regarding safety of accepting payments on ebay where managed payments are not yet an option would be welcome. Thank you!

Message 4 of 70
latest reply

Hello eBay,

How can I find tracking numbers for returns without calling merchant support?  In the seller hub under return details it does not show the tracking numbers for the labels, these are labels I purchased from eBay or my customer uploaded to eBay.

Thanks,

John Norman

Message 5 of 70
latest reply

CAN EBAY PLEASE ADD A ONE MORE ITEM TO THEIR PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED ITEMS LIST

I see there is a prohibited list item related to the “Reproduction political memorabilia policy”.

Could EBAY please add :  “Reproduction and Reprints of Sports Memorabilia” something like:

EBAY does allow for the sale of reprinted cards and memorabilia that are manufactured by the original licensed and trademarked company; however, they must strictly contain the word reprint or similar on the product.   Reproduction or reprints that are not licensed are strictly prohibited in accordance to 18 U.S. Code Section 2320.  Reproductions or reprints that infringe upon the copyrights or trademarks of the original manufacturer, MLB, NBA, NFL, or etc. are strictly prohibited.  Unlicensed reproductions or reprints such as above would be classified as containing a counterfeit mark.

Notice for Claims of Intellectual Property Violations and Copyright Infringement Pursuant to Section 512(c) of Title 17 of the United States Code.

Violations : Intellectual Property Violations, Copyright Infringement, counterfeit mark per 18 U.S.C. § 2320.

Message 6 of 70
latest reply

CAN EBAY PLEASE ADD AN SELLER ACKNOWLEDGEMENT TO SELLING REPRINT SPORTS CARDS.

It also would be helpful if when a seller does select to sell a reprint (selection of original or reprint) that the seller is prompted to acknowledge that the sale of an unlicensed product is prohibited.

Only licensed reprints should be allowed.  Ebay created a major opening for illegal activity when it allowed reprint sports cards without an consideration for the difference between a legitimate licensed reprint and a counterfeit, fake reprint.

Too many to count ebay sellers thinks that is ok to sell a reprinted sports card (and think they have every right to).    They do not consider copyright infringements and theft of intellectual property.

Message 7 of 70
latest reply

@lesctag wrote:

Simple question for ebay.  How many seller offenses of committing a felony crime by selling a counterfeit item does it take to be removed from ebay?    One, 10, 50, 100, 500, 1000?

Note: The 1984 Act created an offense, codified at 18 U.S.C. § 2320, which provides that "(w)hoever intentionally traffics or attempts to traffic in goods and services and knowingly uses a counterfeit mark on or in connection with such goods or services" shall be guilty of a felony.       

@lesctag, counterfeit items are against our policy and something we do take action on. Please report any listings that appear to violate this policy and we'll take appropriate steps, which may include removing the item, temporary restrictions, or an account suspension. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 8 of 70
latest reply

I'm reading that MP is now offering $50-400 credits for signing up for MP?

Are those sellers who "did the right thing" and signed up early going to get those credits or should we have held out to the last minute?

To be clear.......I'm ticked off........IF these incentives are being given.........VERY, VERY bad precedent.....  Who among us will cooperate with Ebay in the future with signups.........UNTIL we get an incentive or are sure there won't be one given that we may miss out on........

Can you check with the MP to see what they say?  I posted the same question on MP board, but no answer.......

Message 9 of 70
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@coinslabz26 wrote:

Questions regarding ebay transactions related to the new paypal user agreement updates effective July 31st. As you know managed payments is not yet ready for the coin category but the paypal user agreement updates seem to take away seller protection from us.

Paypal states that "We are clarifying that our Seller Protection Program does not cover Unauthorized Transactions initiated in an environment not hosted by PayPal."

Does this mean ebay checkout hosted by ebay but processed by paypal are no longer receiving any seller protection, and that are ebay transactions are at our own risk in categories where paper payments are not allowed? Or are ebay transactions still going to be protected?

In the same policy update Paypal states

"We are adding payments made in respect of gold (in physical form or in exchange-traded form) to the list of ineligible items and transactions under our Seller Protection Policy."

Does this mean numismatic gold coins sold on ebay are no longer covered by any protection even outside the bullion categories where we aren't allowed to accept any payments other then paypal?

Does ebay have any plans to offer any coverage to help us sell safely?

Any additional or related information regarding safety of accepting payments on ebay where managed payments are not yet an option would be welcome. Thank you!

Hi @coinslabz26, PayPal protection policies are unrelated to eBay protection policies. I can confirm that there already exists a number of situations where eBay offers protection where PayPal may not, and vice-versa. Though we wouldn't be able to speak to PayPal policy, I can recommend that you contact PayPal and discuss your questions with them directly.

Message 10 of 70
latest reply

I have questions on Managed Payments

Registration: I registered but never got an email confirmation that bank account information I provided was verified, I called ebay MP and they said I was "good to go" - but again, never got an email confirming this. I would like an actual email confirmation saying my account info was verified 

MP Sign Up Incentive: MP was a sign up by July 15th or lose ability to sell on ebay. I Registered June 30th, a week later now ebay is giving people large credit offers for signing up - sorry, but I'll take that credit also, and everyone else who has put up with ebay MP harassment past 3 months. 

Private MP Community:  I have no access, same with others, I would like access to the community to be able to further prepare for MP, seeing ebay said "more information will be provided after you register" - yet NO further information aside from the vauge information already provided prior to registration was provided.  

Note: The answer to your question can be found here

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 11 of 70
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

MP sign up Incentives

eBay is doing a disservice to all Sellers who signed up for MP before the incentives to sign up started to appear.  I signed up on the 6th and want whatever the highest incentive is eBay is offering.  I see no reason why that shouldn’t happen ala retro-active.

eBay is also making a BIG MISTAKE in offering incentives … I mean just look at annual tax returns, other than this year tax returns are due on or before April 15 EVERY YEAR, yet many Americans still file for extensions … thinking that everybody receiving notification is going to sign up on time for MP is not a realistic expectation and offering incentives only means that on the next group eBay Indoctrinate,s people are going to hold out LONGER for the highest incentives they can get … which again, is a disservice to all those who sign up in plenty of time.

If Sellers don’t want to sign up there is no amount of incentive that will change their minds so eBay needs to take their lumps and move on.  Offering incentives is clearly a sign of desperation …

I signed up using the 3rd reminder … nos. 1 & 2 were read and deleted, no. 3 was read and saved … ALL the ones after 3 (and there were plenty) were deleted.  Last week I got a call from a woman with a British accent, she said she was following up on the eBay message about signing up for MP … I said which one of the 10?  I know the schedule, I know the sign up date and I don’t like the program … she was laughing at that point and didn’t have too much to say … end of conversation.

As of this writing apparently I have NOT been activated in to the program nor received ANY message or communication from eBay, I have explored Seller Hub to no avail on the promised fabulous support I am supposed to be getting … and I quote,

“Exclusive support: Get dedicated, expert payments support during the sign-up process and whenever you need help.”

There was NO option to speak to anyone during the Sign up process …

Exactly! I want my $150 credit AND A FREE T-SHIRT!

Message 12 of 70
latest reply

When I offer items such as battery operated toys, I like to include a video link in the description box, to show the toy operating. I believe this can provide a competitive edge and increase conversions. However, buyers don't really KNOW my listing includes a video UNTIL they open the description box.

My suggestion: ebay should include an icon or text on the search results page to inform buyers that a particular listing includes a video.

Could you pass this on to the appropriate team?

Message 13 of 70
latest reply

How can we trust eBay to switch over to MP when they can't even keep the current systems running right? I lost out on a decent sale because my buyer wasn't able to pay. Buyers having payment issues seems to be a growing problem from what I have seen on the boards.

Message 14 of 70
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@lesctag wrote:

@lesctag, counterfeit items are against our policy and something we do take action on. Please report any listings that appear to violate this policy and we'll take appropriate steps, which may include removing the item, temporary restrictions, or an account suspension. 

Many of these counterfeits are blatant and eBay appears to do nothing about them though.  It is an even worse problem with the electronics field.  I don't feel it is fair to expect the users to invest their time policing the site when that should be eBay's job.  I know myself as a buyer I have gotten scammed by various counterfeits over the years.

Message 15 of 70
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: