cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, January 6 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Community Chat, January 6 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:

I received a concerning email from ebay that sates

"Starting January 13, 2021, sellers in the Coins & Paper Money categories, including Bullion, will be notified to register or will be activated for managed payments if you’ve already pre-registered. Sellers that are already activated on managed payments may create listings in these categories beginning January 25."

If I am preregistered and activated on Jan 13 what happens to my listings until January 25th? Coins and bullion will still be restricted from the 13th to the 25th? On the 13th will all my listings be taken down if I am activated on the 13th?

No fees have been announced. How do I know what my ebay fees will be on that date? Currently prior to the switch coins are the same price as stamps. Will that continue and will coins stay the same price as stamps?

Also I have seen lots of people having trouble signing up to managed payments but I had none. If the payments tab says "You've successfully registered for managed payments" am I done? Or will I require any more action? I just don't want to be part of the wide spread problems getting payouts.

Hi @coinslabz26 - I don't have specifics on this detail. The information I have specify that currently activated managed payments sellers will be able to list currency/coins as of January 25th, but that pre-registered members may be activated between the 13th and that date. I've requested clarification and will update you here as I hear back. 

When it comes to payments registration I'm really not able to provide much support (you must contact a payments trained teammate via callback request for that). However, from what I've seen shared on the boards from other members you shouldn't have any problem with your payouts as long as you've made sure that all your information matches and is correct between your eBay account and the bank information you provided when pre-registering. 

Just for clarity.  I think the other poster is concerned that if they get activated in MP when they register, sometime between the 13th and 24th, what will happen to their coin listings.  Will they get ended because they can't be processed by MP until on and after the 25th?  Are they expected to stop selling during that period if this is all they sell?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 63
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@donsdetour wrote:

Hello this week, and again thanks for doing this: hoping you and the crew are all doing well.

Might as well ask about reports of emails about coins, bullion and managed payment  finally coming together so user can sell such:

Do you have any info on this??

Hi @donsdetour  - happy new year! Hope you had a nice, uneventful one. 🙂

Yes - I found out about this late yesterday: the process of onboarding the bullion, coins and paper money category into managed payments is going to be happening soon. I know that members should be receiving emails about this process over the next week with more details (some may already have begun to receive them). 

I don't have much beyond that though - I hope that helps!

@donsdetour 

If you look at my post I just quoted the email about coins when asking a question about the on-boarding. Those reports you have read are correct.

I read it and found it very helpful.  However it doesn't say what you are concerned about.  It is saying that as of the 13th you can register for MP.  That doesn't mean as soon as you register that you become active.  Those are two separate things.  But you are right with your concern, what happens if they activate you before the 25th.  Being that they are saying to sellers that are already in MP that they can't list these listings until the 25th.

If you wouldn't mind.  If that isn't the entire email, would you please post the whole thing, less any personal account info that might be on it.

@mam98031

Sure, I've quoted everything that pertains to managed payments. There are also new new item specific requirements

"Starting January 20, 2021, sellers who have listings in the (link removed) category will be required to update item specifics in the Year and Denomination fields. If the required item specifics are not updated, the ability to create new listings, or relist or revise current listings, will be interrupted, and listings will not successfully publish.

Year and Denomination item specifics fields are already part of the listing process and are currently “recommended,” but will now be "required” effective January 20. The new item specifics requirements improve searchability for buyers and improve listing organization within the category. (link removed) about item specifics. "

There is also a screenshot of the denomination and year spots and how to fix add the specifics.

Message 32 of 63
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:

I received a concerning email from ebay that sates

"Starting January 13, 2021, sellers in the Coins & Paper Money categories, including Bullion, will be notified to register or will be activated for managed payments if you’ve already pre-registered. Sellers that are already activated on managed payments may create listings in these categories beginning January 25."

If I am preregistered and activated on Jan 13 what happens to my listings until January 25th? Coins and bullion will still be restricted from the 13th to the 25th? On the 13th will all my listings be taken down if I am activated on the 13th?

No fees have been announced. How do I know what my ebay fees will be on that date? Currently prior to the switch coins are the same price as stamps. Will that continue and will coins stay the same price as stamps?

Also I have seen lots of people having trouble signing up to managed payments but I had none. If the payments tab says "You've successfully registered for managed payments" am I done? Or will I require any more action? I just don't want to be part of the wide spread problems getting payouts.

Hi @coinslabz26 - I don't have specifics on this detail. The information I have specify that currently activated managed payments sellers will be able to list currency/coins as of January 25th, but that pre-registered members may be activated between the 13th and that date. I've requested clarification and will update you here as I hear back. 

When it comes to payments registration I'm really not able to provide much support (you must contact a payments trained teammate via callback request for that). However, from what I've seen shared on the boards from other members you shouldn't have any problem with your payouts as long as you've made sure that all your information matches and is correct between your eBay account and the bank information you provided when pre-registering. 

tyler@ebay 

Thank you very much! I eagerly look forward to that update from you.

Also wish you and everyone else in this thread a Happy New Year!

Message 33 of 63
latest reply

@wooden_flower wrote:

Happy New Year to All 😁

Do you know when the 'eBay standard envelope' will be available for sports cards?  Will there be an announcement when it starts up? The initial announcement said 'in January'.

thanks!

@wooden_flower - yes - it's still coming in January, but an exact date hasn't been announced. The scuttlebutt I've heard is that it will be more towards the end of the month rather than sooner. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 34 of 63
latest reply

Hello eBay,

Why do we constantly get notified about best offers when we have already accepted, declined, or offered a different price.  In this example, both of the circled items have already been answered yet eBay keeps telling me I have new offers that I don't.  With multiple people working the eBay account this is just a big waste of time opening these alerts to find they have already been taken care of by a different employee. 

John Norman
Max Optical LLC

tem EBay best offer email.JPGtemp ebay image 2.JPGtem EBay best offer email.JPG

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 35 of 63
latest reply

Hello eBay,

Why is there a several hour delay between the actual sale on eBay and the email sent about the sale?  All other modern platforms send emails within 12 and a half seconds of receiving an order.  This delay makes the emails of very little use as the order has most likely been boxed and shipped by the time we get an email.

Thanks,

John Norman

Max Optical LLC.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 36 of 63
latest reply

Oh I just thought of another question.

In the latest seller update a new "send watcher an offer" feature was added to "automatically send offers".

There is no information regarding this feature. How does it work?

If I select the box how long after a buyer views, watches, or adds to cart will the receive the offer? It seems effective if it sends the offer days later but does it offer it at point of sale? Basically just how does this feature work?

-----

Message 37 of 63
latest reply

Just wanted to go on record as being less than thrilled about the Payment Methods on item listings being being removed from the listing area shown in the snippet below and, instead, being displayed only on the Shipping & Payments tab now.

Community volunteers find the Payment Methods to be crucial in helping OPs with a wide range of questions. Whether an OP is using PayPal or Managed Payments for their payment processor is vital information in helping resolve an OP's issue(s). Adding an extra step to find the information is a detriment to community members assisting others.

Payment methods.JPG

_____

Message 38 of 63
latest reply

@maxoptical wrote:

Hello eBay,

Why is there a several hour delay between the actual sale on eBay and the email sent about the sale?  All other modern platforms send emails within 12 and a half seconds of receiving an order.  This delay makes the emails of very little use as the order has most likely been boxed and shipped by the time we get an email.

Thanks,

John Norman

Max Optical LLC.

I am not experiencing this issue except on really rare occasions.  The vast majority of the time the emails arrive just fine for me.  But every now and again they are late, thankfully that isn't often.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 39 of 63
latest reply

@coffeebean832  - Item numbers still work. The shipping team knows the data is being weird and changing, so they can still use that information to see what's going on. I sent you an e-mail, just get me some examples when you can.

Tagging @golfingaddict - I saw you are seeing something similar. If you're willing to share examples please post a thread on Technical Issues or let me know if you would like me to e-mail you.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 40 of 63
latest reply

@partsaholic wrote:

1) Buyers who are having problems with Global Shipping Program delivery delays are contacting us for status updates. Why is eBay making the seller the first line of customer service for the GSP when the seller relinquishes title to the item once it's delivered to the GSP center and ebay, at least in the help documents, states that the seller is NO LONGER RESPONSIBLE (https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/global-shipping-program.html#faqs) . Bottom line: When a GSP package is late, the buyer's only option should be to CONTACT EBAY, not the seller!

2) What is eBay doing about the fact that the USPS stopped doing timely parcel accept scans in the past three weeks? This is resulting in late shipment dings for sellers everywhere when it is the USPS's fault. A recent Washington Post investigation revealed that the USPS ROUTINELY FALSIFIES SCANS:

"The Postal Service logged 94.8 percent of packages through handheld bar code scanners that track an item’s progress through the mail system from receipt to delivery. But a Washington Post investigation in October found that postal workers and supervisors routinely falsify those scans — one of few package-related performance statistics the agency makes public — to boost performance statistics."

(source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/12/15/postal-service-holiday-packages-delays/ )

EBay relies on that fraudulent tracking data to assess sellers. I'm sure in all of this eBay will blame the seller - "sellers choose which carrier to use".... What is eBay going to do to accommodate - instead of penalize - sellers for this USPS screw-up?

Hi @partsaholic - happy to clarify where I can!

1. While your accountability for the deliverability of an item ends once the item successfully makes it to the sorting center, we'd still encourage you to support your customers when they have questions or concerns. You can always let them know that as it was going through the Global Shipping Program that they are protected in the event it doesn't arrive. They're also more than welcome to contact Customer Support as well, who can let them know the same information. 

2. You can review the announced protections offered for the holiday shipping delays here

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 41 of 63
latest reply

brittanie@ebay wrote:

Tagging @golfingaddict - I saw you are seeing something similar. If you're willing to share examples please post a thread on Technical Issues or let me know if you would like me to e-mail you.

Or you can tag on to the existing thread @golfingaddict-

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Wrong-Ship-Date/m-p/31322893

Message 42 of 63
latest reply

Hello eBay,

Do you have faster servers for sellers with a large number of listings?  I currently have 5k listings and I have a plan to get to 10K by the end of the first quarter of 2021.    My problem is when I add the new required Items specifics or any other minor change to 5000 listings it take 12+ hours to update all of the listings.  I am using Sixbit software and it changes listings one by one adding the new "IS" and the response back from eBay is too long.    

I have fast Gigabit internet with a fast modern computer.  There are many sellers with millions of listings,  there is no way they could be making changes with these long delays.  How can I speed up the servers that my eBay listings live on?

John Norman
Max Optical LLC.

-----

Message 43 of 63
latest reply

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@coffeebean832  - Item numbers still work. The shipping team knows the data is being weird and changing, so they can still use that information to see what's going on. I sent you an e-mail, just get me some examples when you can.

brittanie@ebay 

This is not the first time that I have mentioned this.  This has been going on for months.

I can "start another thread" but you know about it, the shipping team knows about it.  Perhaps they should reach out to REAL SELLERS to find out what they have been experiencing rather than have sellers post to another thread!! Sorry if that sounds rude, but I have brought up two issues today that have been going on and reported by me for MONTHS.

And always I'm told to start a thread and/or someone will email me for examples.  AND nothing has happened, no one has contacted me and no one has even acknowledged that this is just bad data being used against sellers (Check the old weekly threads and you will find my posts on the same two subjects)

Shipping issue with that stupid "

• PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM

And

Item specifics for variation listings for color and size demanding I add those even though size and color is the variation.

Sorry, but when ebay holds sellers to certain standards and then gives faulty data and when they expect sellers to add item specifics to listings that already have that info, then the answer is not to ask sellers for "more examples"

What more can I tell you.   Another thread?

_____

Message 44 of 63
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

I know Managed Payments does not currently offer a micro payment fee option similar to PayPal's 5% + $.05 transaction fee.  Can you let me know if Managed Payments might at least consider offering a micropayment fee option?  I sell postcards on 2 IDs which must join MP by Jan. 22, 2021.  The cost of selling a $1.00 postcard using the PayPal micropayment option was $.29 (PayPal fee $.10 and eBay fee $.09), and I make a profit of $.15.  Under Managed Payments the fee is $.43 (eBay FVF $.12 + $.30 transaction fee), over a 220% increase and I have a loss of $.08.  This forces high volume, low cost sellers to either leave eBay or change their business model.

Hi @somanypostcards - there's not currently any announced micropayment solution for sellers in managed payments.  We will continually monitor feedback as we strive to best meet seller needs. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 45 of 63
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: