cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the group? Introduce yourself here.

ds_gifts
Enthusiast
Are you new to the group and don't know where to start? How about here, tell us a little about yourself, what you sell, how long you have been selling and anything you would like to add. -- .......... dsbooksnmore ~ educational, books, CDs, toys, homeschool
Books are Fun Entertaining Educational
and well...
Just Plain Good For The Mind And Soul.
Give One Today.

-- Edited by dsbooksnmore at 03/18/2011 5:07 PM PDT

Message 1 of 155
latest reply
154 REPLIES 154

Re: New to the group? Introduce yourself here.

Hi, I've been a member and had some success with misc. items over the years. I was recently laid-off so I thought that

I would clean out some excess around here and supplement my unemployment a little while I had the time to do it.

My question is:

I recently imported my Half.com items to also list on eBay. How do I revise those listings to add myown info into the discriptions? I am already posting a link to my Half.com bookstore in my other regular eBay listings. http://shops.half.ebay.com/gold4x4toy

Message 91 of 155
latest reply

If I knew that I had to wait so long to get paid I would never have done this at all.
It's a huge out of pocket expense to mail it all out and then you have to wait 90 days after they get YOUR money after they pay and have received the items. It's a rip off!
Message 92 of 155
latest reply

You know what?  I'll just reply to this because I can't figure out where to post a new thread.  I am Leslidiana (yes, uncommon name but hey, we're all unique, right?) and my D.A.V. husband, John and I run Kitty's Jewelry, Etc. - Handmade Jewelry & Specialty Clothing Imports out of the house.  We mainly sell on RebelsMarket but when we have alot of itmes IN stock and "staying around too long" we put them up on E Bay (our ON SALE) items.  Well, it is eh.... so so.  Buyers are WAAAAY picker these days than they were years ago.  I mean, if they know the packing envelope or box was prior used?  They rag.  (Uh, would they rather us charge them more?)  We recycle the packing materials.  So, now... we ASK first if there is anything special they want done when we pack the item.  Usually, they will respond with "butcher paper or gift wrap" and "free overnight shipping" but unfortunately, they don't like it when there are extra charges connected with those kinds of things.  Usually, about seven times out of ten, the buyers are pretty much reasonable and ok.  We price ALL our stuff REAL low, below retail.  We do this because we're not brick and mortar and don't have that kind of overhead.  So, we try and be nice and give people that discounted option for basically the same stuff you'd find at an expensive goth specialty shop or at a costume store but for way less.  So, we are kind of surprised when we receive complaints that "it's too small!"  (they don't read the measurements most of the time) "not like the picture" (it's the photo from the supplier that is on the box we get the material to put together the outfits!) and they want "free overnight shipping" because "I need this for this date and such..." when they could have just done a "buy it now" option but they didn't wish to pay for it.  Just really cheap stuff they're pulling in the last six months or so.  I kind of get "miffed", though NOT openly at all, when stuff is "free shipping" and they're saying they want it "on this date".  Uh.... yeah.  Well, we have the option to have expedited shipping right there on the listing for 24.95 or whatever and they, for some "strange" reason, don't choose the option but want the item (that was only 16.00 or so) "hot-n-now".  My husband says that if we really jacked up our prices to retail, we would not get these kinds of buyers.  I'm open to any and all suggestions.  Look at the listings and please tell me what is wrong?  I'm sorry.  We have been doing this for YEARS and NOT have had issues like this before except for with in the last six or seven months.  Hmmm.  Well, thanks so much and happy 2014.  You all seem really nice.  >^..^< )

Kitty's Jewelry - Etc.
Alt. Fashion 4 Less.
Google us!
Message 93 of 155
latest reply

It's a huge out of pocket expense to mail it all out and then you have to wait 90 days after they get YOUR money after they pay and have received the items. It's a rip off!

Two statements. Both wrong.

You can print Paypal shipping labels from recieved payments even while they are on Hold. PP may also give a discount from PO counter rates. Certainly Canada Post does , from 5% to 18%, and perhaps USPS too.

The Hold period is 21 days from cleared payment, not 90. I believe this is only for foreign sellers, like us Canadians though. The Hold period for US sellers is until positive feedback is left or proof of mailing is posted. I am sure the wait is shorter, but I am unclear on what it is.

Message 94 of 155
latest reply

Hi ya guys! My husband and I sell used (probably worn two or three times) clothing and shoes. It's nice to have a community for all the questions that arise while selling.  😉

Keran and Bob

Little Hawk Trading - Buy For LESS Clothing & Shoes
http://stores.ebay.com/Little-Hawk-Trading
NEW - China & Dinnerware Replacement Dishes
Message 95 of 155
latest reply

My husband says that if we really jacked up our prices to retail, we would not get these kinds of buyers.  I'm open to any and all suggestions. 

I agree with him. The hardest customers to deal with are bottom feeders and cherry pickers.

And of course, you are dealing with a demographic that is slightly hostile and entitled. I do a little cosplay myself at SF cons, (those steampunkers (!) Felicia Day got them down in The Guild) Goths are usually very nice and polite to old ladies like me.

EBay is not a retail market, so some discounting is expected, even after shipping is included, but many people appreciate their purchases more if they pay more for them.

but they didn't wish to pay for it

The most you can do is offer two shipping rates and I'd stick with Standard and Overnight. (As a Canadian, I have no real idea of how those generic terms fit with American couriers or USPS, sorry)

I believe it would be difficult to offer Free Shipping, since most of your items are bulky and parcel rates vary with distance. But I hope you do use Calculated Shipping which will give the exact postage to your customer's doorstep.

And remember that Free Shipping is advertising talk for 'shipping included in the asking price."

.  So, now... we ASK first if there is anything special they want done when we pack the item. 

Don't.

The 70% will not have a problem with your system and the others will be all the more demanding.

Then there is the 'tissue paper and a pretty sticker" system of packing. We Canadians don't have the luxury of free Priority Post boxes (which USPS will even deliver to your place free, you lucky hundan!)  By using something 'nice' on the inside, much of the criticism for using recycled materials on the outside disappears.

... but when we have alot of itmes IN stock and "staying around too long" we put them up on E Bay (our ON SALE) items.  Well, it is eh.... so so. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the sales. As you say, this is product that didn't move on your primary site, eh? Only about 40% of listings on eBay sell. As a bookseller, I can tell you, it can be lower than that!

BTW, I looove your stuff. I doubt it would go over at the Senior's Centre, but great con -wear. Could I suggest that as well as giving manufacturer's sizes, preferably in titles,  that you include mesurements in descriptions? 

Message 96 of 155
latest reply

YEs... measurements are very important and yes, we (my husband or myself) do include them.  See, yes.  We have seen that people who do not wish to pay much (the bottom feeders and cherry pickers) shop for the body they WANT, not the body they HAVE a lot of times.  Stuff comes back all torn or stretched out because someone who is a size whatever tried to squeeze themselves into something we clearly listed as a size small (WITH measurements)  Here is one feed back I got for a xxl corset somewhere else,.. NO contact from the customer.... NOTHING:  "I ordered an extra large and It did not fit half way around by body!  Not happy!!"  Well, number one, I wouldn't publicly post that fact, number two, why didn't she look at the measurements?  Number three, she ordered a 2xl.  She said later she thought it was a 5x.  OH BOY.  Yes, people just don't READ sometimes and yes, after these listings we have now have run their course,  THE PRICES ARE GOING UP.  Yes, I will get some hate mail and or complaints via our main web site.... but.... yes.  Cheap isn't always good and our stuff is NOT cheap.  We put most of it together OURSELVES either by hand or with a sewing machine and do not charge folks for the work.  Oh, here is another one we get probably..... orince or twice per month:  "I won X item and I'm on public assistance can i have it for free or (they name their price after winning the item).  Sorry, but that gets my husband really mad and I get irritated.  I've done the BUYER SCREENING thing.  It helped a LITTLE.  I say this, we have been selling for years and these kinds of things have only been raising their ugly heads with in the last year and a half or so.  You're right.  I think people ARE feeling more entitled or something like that.  It's pretty surprising.

Kitty's Jewelry - Etc.
Alt. Fashion 4 Less.
Google us!
Message 97 of 155
latest reply

Hello,

I'm a new seller and happy to be joining this group. I created my eBay account in November 2013 and started selling

about a month later. I really love selling here and plan on making it much more than part time very soon. Just waiting

for a few things to happen before I can commit most of my time. I have a lot more to learn but am ready, willing, 

and more than able to do it. Right now I'm selling cosmetics and beauty products, but plan on moving up to fashion 

in the near future. My name is Teresa and I live in West L.A. with my husband and 2 pets. We moved here almost 4 

yrs ago from Mass and fell in love with this city instantly! I'm looking forward to meeting others here and getting great

advice..as well as giving it back. Nice to meet you all, have a great evening!

Message 98 of 155
latest reply

i am new to the group and new to ebay. i have not sold anything yet. Do you have to wait to get paid if you sell something as a newbie

email me savemoney.cash@gmail.com or skype me on this at mladd1361 confused

so is 15% good to add on the on the products for fees and etc

what the best way to make a good title and compete on prices

any tricks I need to learn??

Michael Ladd Brand new on here.

like to be a good seller

Any good books or ebooks i should read or videos

Message 99 of 155
latest reply

Do you have to wait to get paid if you sell something as a newbie

Never ship until the customer has paid. You will be notified by Paypal that the customer\'s payment has cleared and that you can now ship.

Yes, your customer's cleared payment will be Held against your good performance for up to 21 Days, however you can print that PP shipping label and the cost will come out of the Held payment immediately. The rest of the money will be released when the buyer posts feedback or 21 days have passed.

so is 15% good to add on the on the products for fees and etc

I'd allow 20% for fees payable to eBay and Paypal. Better to be pessimistic.

what the best way to make a good title and compete on prices

You have 80 keystrokes free for your title. Use them all and don't use words that are NOT Searched (L@@k! Rare! cute). Use words that are searched (NIB red two/2  size)

Don't try to compete on prices. Ask an amount that you will be comfortable with if you have only one bidder. The bottom feeders are a pain to deal with. Go for the customer who wants a fair deal, not the one who really wants it free and would prefer that you pay her to take it.

Look into Free Shipping. This means you add the cost of shipping into your asking price. Which is cheaper a $5 item with $10 shipping or a $15 item with Free Shipping?

any tricks I need to learn??

Watch your spelling and grammar. Poor language skills make customers think you are incompetent. This makes good customers shy away and scammers believe you can be cheated.

Message 100 of 155
latest reply

Hello!

I am new to the group and I am looking forward to learning some new selling tips.

I have been selling on ebay for years and have had a great time!

Selling was going strong and steady for me over the last 2 years, but sales have been really slow for me lately. I sell mostly clothing and shoes.

Anyone have any ideas for how to increase sales or how to get more traffic to your ebay store?

Thank you,

Leslie

Denimdogz

Message 101 of 155
latest reply

Hi!

I too sell mostly clothing and shoes and love it! I have had slow sales the last 2 months. How about you? Are you and your husband doing okay in the sales department?

Leslie

Denimdogz

Message 102 of 155
latest reply

I keep hearing complaints from newbies about how long it takes "to get paid."  Let's put this in perspective.  If you were opening a new bricks & mortar store, you would have to sign a lease, pay 3 months in advance, pay deposits on utilities, buy displays, etc., etc., etc.  You would be lucky if you had a payday before the first year!  

In my humble opinion, you should never drain your PayPal account dry.  You should leave at least $100 if not more in your account so that your funds aren't held; so that you can buy packaging materials when needed; so you have available funds to issue refunds when requested.  Once you build up your business to a comfortable level, you can withdraw the excess once or twice a month, being careful to never drain it dry.

About me:

I started selling here about 4 years ago, but just got into it on a regular basis about a year ago.  Right now I'm selling excess houshold good accumulated over decades, and I have a few consignment customers too.  I'm not making big money, but it is supplementing my retirement by giving me some spending coin.

Message 103 of 155
latest reply

Very true, mrgran!

Our B&M has to gross $1000 a day to cover our costs. This includes staff wages and bonuses as well as payroll taxes and our portion of Ontario Health Insuranceand Employment insurance for our employees.

I've heard it said that a B&M business should gross $100,000 annually per square foot of retail premises to be able to show any profit.

Message 104 of 155
latest reply

Hi, I am Leslie,

Been selling here on and off for 4+ years, but more steadily in the last year.  Mostly I'm clearing out excess household items, doing some consignment selling, but haven't selected a "product" yet.  I'm almost at the point of considering a store, but want to wait awhile longer before I commit.  Right now I have enough going on.

I keep track of sales and expenses on Excel, and have written a spreadsheet that seems to cover my needs.  Not really hi-tech, but it works for me.

I am a grandmother of 3 year old triplets and 3 year old twins.  The twins live in my town and I watch them for working mom a couple of days a week.  The triplets are 250 miles away and I only get to see them 2 or 3 times a year.  Wish they were closer!  BTW the trips and twins were born 9 days apart! 

Besides selling on eBay and watching little ones, I enjoy facebook, politics, football, baking bread, making homemade jams and various kitchen experiments! 

Message 105 of 155
latest reply