cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ELIMINATE CLUTTER from your life forever!

dr.declutter
Enthusiast
Hi everyone. I figured there had to be others out there in the millions of eBayers who want to eliminate clutter. So I decided to create a discussion thread and a "ME" page all about clutter and how to get rid of it and how to keep it out of our lives forever.

Personally I know my clutter problem took years to accumulate, and will take some time and effort to make things "normal" again. But I'm ready to dedicate myself to the effort. I'd like to discuss the tips and strategies necessary not just to eliminate clutter but to become the kind of person who does not ACCUMULATE CLUTTER in the first place! If you are interesting in creating a clutter-free life then let's talk!
Message 1 of 331
latest reply
330 REPLIES 330

nana*of*seven
Enthusiast
I feel like I am on hold when it comes to decluttering.I never did get to taking care of all the picture's I have and knowing what to do with them.

Daughter came and took down my Christmas stuff as I just had my hip replaced.

It can really get to you when you want to do it but can't get it done.

Take advantage now while you have two good arm's and leg's and your health.
Photobucket
Message 256 of 331
latest reply

dr.declutter
Enthusiast
Good advice nana*kate. Hope you're mending well.

Clutter update for me: I've managed to empty two of my large gray plastic storage bins. Some of it went to charity and some of it is for sale now on eBay. This is just the beginning. I have about 20 more of those bins to empty, then I'll attack the Xerox boxes - not sure how many of those.

For me most of the problem is in the basement and the detached garage.

Good wishes for a less cluttered new year for everyone. I'll check back again soon.

Dr. DeClutter
Message 257 of 331
latest reply

Wow Dr D.!
That is ~awesome~ progress! It's amazing how much those gray bins can hold. You've done quite a piece of work!

A donation truck is coming by this Monday. I have a nice little pile of things to donate. (And, a donation truck came by just a week and a half ago and took a donation.)

It's great being on their call list, because when someone in the neighborhood contacts them for a pickup, they call me to see if I happen to have a donation, since they will already be in the area.

I feel like my living areas are pretty clutter free. It's my closets that are over full, and the garage needs some help.

Also, I am working on emergency preparedness. The government asks us to have 3 gallons of water stored per person in a household and enough food (that doesn't need electricity to prepare) for 3 days. I want to create space for these items.

That's my update. Blessings to each of you!
Rebekah
Message 258 of 331
latest reply

I'm trying to get in the mindset to
tackle the back room and get rid of
some excess clothing.
Being in the Northeast where we have
four distinct seasons, I'm trying to
minimize what i'm keeping, but i'm
having a mental block.
:(
Message 259 of 331
latest reply

I know all too well about the mental block phase. I am in the process of de-cluttering also and ridding of the sentimental items that we really do not use, but for only keepsake. I have even been called a miser for all my collected items. lol.

If getting mentally blocked while in the cleaning process, I just give myself a break and get a change of scenery. IE go to the best room/ area of your house that is a clutter free zone. From this spacious/ clutter free area, you'd get motivation to execute the same spacious room for the clutterbox room.

I have often "put- off" /avoided organizing myself and it can seem like the room would be shrinking for each minute more that you spend in there, hence the mental block. Just maintain focus, take interval breaks, make "sectioned goals" for each part of the room and do this for at least; once EVERY WEEK and slowly but surely, you'll see the clutter retreat and eventually disappear.

GL
Message 260 of 331
latest reply

This is such a great "Support" thread.
Everytime I get overwhelmed, I come back
and re-read the threads and get inspired.

How's everyone's decluttering projects?
Message 261 of 331
latest reply

Hi Nonny,

It's great to hear from you. I hope things are well with you. Here's my update:

The kids and I recently went through their room to clear toys that they don't love so much. I also got rid of a couple of videos that they have outgrown.

I let go of a few paintings that I made for my daughter's little girl room. It was hard, because I liked them, and they had sentimental value, but I felt such a sense of relief and freedom when I placed them in the give away pile. I imagined a family buying them from a thrift store for their little girl's room. It really helps me to think about how someone may enjoy what I share.

I went through our auto and home insurance folders as a mini project. Since we changed insurance companies, we can trash the old policies and some of that paperwork. I also shredded bank statements up to 2003.

Liquidating on eBay is continuing too.

I guess that's my update for now. Good luck with your projects!!
Message 262 of 331
latest reply

I am moving. The ultimate way to go through everything you have and I am being ruthless!
Photobucket
"Whatever you did for the least of these, you did for me."
Matthew 25:40
 photo 2296388f-feb1-48d2-9555-475e062b3333.jpg
To Everything, There is a Season...
Message 263 of 331
latest reply

we are working on getting it out of here.. tomarrow is a swapmeet thing.. hubby cleaned out the shead. and i condenced the xmas stuff to 4 boxes.

the main thing is.. i want to move toward being a beach bum person lol.

and i cant do that with my place full full FULL of stuff i cant part with.
so i am telling myself this is what is stopping my dreams.. it is much easyer to get rid of stuff i wouldnt let go of. i know retireing will be srapeing for us.. so i know i cant take it all. its so hard. when you have tons of real collections. ( over 400 movie.. 500 lps.. wall cabbnet of disney. wall bookcase full. wall bookcase full of clasic books. ) now that is not even talking about youre everyday stack of junk. ..and we are to retire to a travel trailer. ya right.. this is hard!
Message 264 of 331
latest reply

B-)Thanks dr. declutter for having this post on Eliminatie Clutter. The article was very good. I want to take time and read all the Posts! Have A Blessed Saturday and Thanks:-)
Message 265 of 331
latest reply

How to eliminate clutter: Don't move a whole bookstore into your house.
Message 266 of 331
latest reply

Update: We packed out the back of our SUV with our donation pile and took it to Goodwill this week. Whew, it's wonderful!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Message 267 of 331
latest reply

bridgecreekcharm
Enthusiast
I have finally gotten a few things back on ebay and sold. I am still working a little at a time on my Mothers house that still had some of my Grandparents things there too. I sold several old quilt tops and pieces from there.

The last two weeks I have been selling some of my Barbie Doll collection. Most of the better ones are sold and havn't got back to listing the rest . All are new and have been stored in closets so that is freeing up a little space.

Between mowing two yards [ different towns] and just keeping up with family I don't get much done so every little bit helps.

Tomorrow--- mowing a third yard and cleaning up brush, fence posts and misc. getting ready for our farm land auction next month.

I'm glad to see this discussion keep going. It really helps.
Message 268 of 331
latest reply

My daughters tend to be pack rats and I tolerate it to a point. They each have an organizer shelf in their room that they can pile as many toys on as they want I also allow them several boxes in their closet to store the overflow. They do not have to look neat but the toys must either fit in the organizer or in one of the boxes (the lids must close on the box. Once I notice that the toys have exceeded this limit I will pick a Saturday and depending on how out of control the toys are I give each daughter 2-3 garbage bags. They have the weekend to fill up the bags. They can fill them up with anything in their room and unless they ask for my help I leave them alone to sort through their stuff. By Sunday night there needs to be 2-3 bags filled sitting by their door and all other toys must be put away. Monday when they leave for school I go into their rooms with a bag of my own anything on the floor goes in the bag. If their boxes in the closet do not close I put whatever in on top of the boxes in the bag until they close. If they do not fill up the required number of bags, bags must be full to the top partial bags do not count, then for every 1 bag they are short I will fill up 2 bags. After my inspection I take the bags they left by the door along with any I filled up and take them to the dumpster.

I have found that allowing them the decision makes the process go smoother. It has also made them consider when they get a new toy if they really want it because with every new toy their storage space will fill up. The first time I did this my oldest tried to cheat the system by filling each bag up less than half way and stuffing her excess toys in the back of her closet. Needless to say once she got home and saw 6 bags piled up in her room she knew I was serious. I allowed her to reduce the number of bags from 6 to 4 and since then My inspections I have not had to throw away a single thing.
Message 269 of 331
latest reply

bridgecreekcharm
Enthusiast
I started going thru several items today to get ready for a yard sale Sat. Then had company so didn't get a lot done .I hope tomorrow I will find more to add to it. Then have some sell so won't have to deal with a lot left as usually happens.

I shipped a couple more things that sold on ebay. Little by little I am making more room in our house.

Janet
Message 270 of 331
latest reply