cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the new listing page

1st off i hate it, but my question is this... my items are .8 ounces, which means my labels are about $3.75 to $4.00.  now today with the new page the 2 options for me are buyer pays $3.78 (that what i charge) and that's fine. the other option says you pay shipping $5.10-$5.50. Am i actually paying those numbers when i purchase a label or simply the same $3.78 i charge. thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: the new listing page

@whoohooohyeahdavid wrote:

1st off i hate it, but my question is this... my items are .8 ounces, which means my labels are about $3.75 to $4.00.  now today with the new page the 2 options for me are buyer pays $3.78 (that what i charge) and that's fine. the other option says you pay shipping $5.10-$5.50. Am i actually paying those numbers when i purchase a label or simply the same $3.78 i charge. thanks!

The $3.78 is what you will pay to buy the postage online regardless of what you charge your buyer. The $5.10-$5.50 is the retail price that you would pay if you went to the post office and bought the label over the counter instead of online.

BUT remember that eBay takes 12.55% (approximately depending on a few variables) so if you charge your buyer the same $3.78 you are only actually getting $3.30 so you are losing money.

If, on the other hand, you charge your buyer the retail price of $5.10 then you actually get $4.46. Remember also that you have to pay for the tape, label, ink and any packing you use.

As much as you might think you are overcharging your buyer at $5.10 you are actually only about breaking even, whereas you are losing money if you only charge them $3.78.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The price of an eBay postage label for a 1-ounce First Class package will range from $3.37 - $3.86 depending on distance.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The $3.78 is what you will pay to buy the postage online regardless of what you charge your buyer. The $5.10-$5.50 is the retail price that you would pay if you went to the post office and bought the label over the counter instead of online.

BUT remember that eBay takes 12.55% (approximately depending on a few variables) so if you charge your buyer the same $3.78 you are only actually getting $3.30 so you are losing money.

If, on the other hand, you charge your buyer the retail price of $5.10 then you actually get $4.46. Remember also that you have to pay for the tape, label, ink and any packing you use.

As much as you might think you are overcharging your buyer at $5.10 you are actually only about breaking even, whereas you are losing money if you only charge them $3.78.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

thank you very much. that's very informative. like you said the obvious side bar is the buyer seeing $5.10 and saying OMG they killed Kenny!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

thank you very much. that's very informative. like you said the obvious side bar is the buyer seeing $5.10 and saying OMG they killed Kenny!

@whoohooohyeahdavid 

There's no way your buyer is seeing $5.10 when the listings say $3.78. I don't have any explanation for that...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Nevermind, I misread.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

"the 2 options for me are buyer pays $3.78 (that what i charge) and that's fine. the other option says you pay shipping $5.10-$5.50"

One is your flat rate, and the other is the retail calculated postage cost for 5-8 ounces,  which is what the buyer would see if you chose to use calculated shipping..

Message 7 of 7
latest reply