cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Tightens The Noose Around The Necks of Responsible Sellers With June 1 2018 Update

I just reviewed the updated (June 1, 2018) standards for remaining a TRS.

Late Shipment Standards

I am particularly concerned with the miniscule number of shipments considered "late" for a TRS to lose their status and even their selling privilages. I believe that 6 late shipments knocks you out of TRS and just another 2 put you in the position to lose your selling privilages. Seriously? That is a fraction of a single USPS pickup. I don't know about your local post office, but mine is NOT 100% when it comes to scanning packages. And unless a law is passed allowing me to threaten a carrier with bodily harm, I cannot FORCE them to scan packages 100% of the time. I had an issue a couple of months ago where we received a shipment of thermal paper for our barcode reader. Apparently it was defective because the USPS scanner couldn't read the barcode (even though it looked fine). Our local post office did not notify us of a problem. I find out a couple of days later because a customer asked if their package shipped. This issue affected 20 packages. Under this new policy, I'd have my seller status restricted or revoked altogether. It wouldn't matter that I have 99.99% positive feedback. It wouldn't matter that my "late" percentage is under 2%. It wouldn't matter that I've been a trusted seller for nearly 20 years.

Free Returns

Additionally, eBay claims that free returns on EVERYTHING sold are now the "industry standard." These include returns due to errors made by the buyer and simple buyer's remorse returns. Please allow me to translate this into plain Engish: free returns on everything are the "Amazon and Walmart" standard. Most of the eBay sellers I know do not have the resources of an Amazon or a Walmart. Some of us ship heavy items to customers where shipping is nearly the cost of the product. I deal with MANY suppliers and free remorse returns is NOT the industry standard. All this will do is to encourage product "renting" (sellers of better ladies garments are very familiar with this). If eBay believes that this is a good business practice, I have a suggestion: let eBay fund this "industry standard" free returns program. They can write the millions of dollars spent off to Fraud or Advertising Expense. eBay can also stop taking a cut from every dollar received by sellers for shipping costs. 

Amazon is a **bleep** place to sell. I know plenty of Amazon sellers but very few who like it. They do it because it's the biggest game in town. Does eBay really want to join this club? Many sellers of the most interesting stuff I know, do it part time. Tighten the noose too much and these sellers may just decide it's too much effort and worry. And everytime I think that eBay cannot make the demands on Top Rated Sellers even more onorous, they find a way. The bad sellers are OBVIOUS. They are NOT the sellers who had a bad day with the post office or were suddently taken ill and could not hit the "On Vacation" slider between the chest pain and unconsciousness. 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: eBay Tightens The Noose Around The Necks of Responsible Sellers With June 1 2018 Update

I'm pretty sure I'm going to no returns in the near future.

For every return I get that is a valid one I get two remorse or stupidity returns....and if I can't charge the 20% stupid tax anymore I'd rather not bother.

Ebay may say that it is industry standard....but for what industry?

I sell second hand collectibles and kitsch and have for over 25 years and I can tell you that free returns is absolutely 100% without fear of contradiction, NOT part of that industry. In fact allowing returns at all is outside the indusrty norms.

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

Re: eBay Tightens The Noose Around The Necks of Responsible Sellers With June 1 2018 Update

@robot-hands wrote:

It is standard for brick & mortar retail.   You can buy anything on Walmart.com, Target.com, etc. and take it back to one of their stores for free.

By the way, I offer free returns too ... just bring it back to my warehouse.  🙂

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

@vssoutlet wrote:

I just reviewed the updated (June 1, 2018) standards for remaining a TRS.

Late Shipment Standards

I am particularly concerned with the miniscule number of shipments considered "late" for a TRS to lose their status and even their selling privilages. 

Free Returns

Additionally, eBay claims that free returns on EVERYTHING sold are now the "industry standard." These include returns due to errors made by the buyer and simple buyer's remorse returns.

I guess u didn't hear, TRS are no longer rewarded for excellence, they are punished and discouraged to continue being TRS 😞

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

@vssoutlet wrote:
Then eBay is trying to out-return Amazon which is a truly scary thought.

especially because it's not eBay giving the free returns, it's the sellers, who already pay eBay to sell from their platform. They want to micro-manage us and have it come out of our pockets.

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

@pauls-parts wrote:

I know on the first of may I am going to downgrade my store. I have slowly been decreasing my listings anyways because of eBay's policies. On June first I will be closing my account.

It's not mandatory to offer free returns unless you want to keep the TRS+ status on listings

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

@grannywith6 wrote:
I'm downgrading in May also. Bye 10 years. I used to make money here but the fees and rules have made me decide to cut back expenses at home and effectively make eBay a minor hobby to keep up with my Netflix and Hulu auto-pays.

I'm outta here too if they ever say I can't wear my PJ casual work attire 😄

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

Amazon and walmart also sears do not have free returns for buyers remorse or changed mind. I have 3p accounts with all three. I am paying my final ebay fees and shutting down on ebay on the 15th. Fees are too high fraud buyers rampant. listings only show up a day or two a week. sales slow.  And now it will be free returns lol for TRS plus and give it a few months that will be for non TRS sellers also.  it was a good ride for 8 of the 10 years selling here.

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

Since eBay has put out the"new" policy of "Free" returns I have been looking at return policies of All other buying sites that I see as click bait. The other day I clicked through for a shoe site from China. The shoes ran in price from $40.-$60. They were real cute. I might have bought a pair. Looking at that site I was required to Pay a "high" price for shipping, and also Pay for ALL returns. (why such a High price for shipping out when Chinese Sellers get such a low price shipping?) More of a money grab from Foreign Sellers.

How many people look at the return policy before buying? I usually don't but because of eBay's "new" policy of returns I have been checking returns on every site I go to. That site did not offer Any free returns, and You had to send everything back to China to get Your money back.  If I received a pair of shoes that didn't fit then I might as well give the shoes away.  I don't see any free returns for ANY reason at most sites, not even on Amazon. Even when You return electronics on Amazon for a "NEW" out of the box item Amazon WILL charge You for a restocking fee If it is a remorse return. Amazon takes the item back themselves and checks electronics to make sure they are NOT a return for remorse and NOT a snad. They also check to see if the items are "REALLY BROKE" and not just a remorse return. 

Even Brick and Mortar stores get a chance to see if an item is eligible for returns. Sellers here don't get that option. They get back a box of bricks and there is no way to prove that...So they loose.

Used items should NOT have such a huge latitude of return options. eBay should have split used and unique items from the "shiny New" a long time ago. The return policy for those items should be looser and "MORE" in line with Garage type sales, with NO returns accepted being the standard.

Sellers are like the frog put in a pot of cold water the rules keep getting hotter and hotter... until the Seller is boiled and cooked. 1% more FVF is not much but when a Seller adds All the 1%'s up it does effect the bottom line.  Sellers are also squeezed by higher aquisition prices, the cost of shipping and many other out of control things that have made it impossible to Sell at a profit. 

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

It is standard for brick & mortar retail.   You can buy anything on Walmart.com, Target.com, etc. and take it back to one of their stores for free.

Again, in the business. Returns...maybe. Refunds, never.

...well that's a lie, I did do two refunds in 25 years.

There was a sign in the store on the register. "Once you spend your money here it becomes my money."

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

I will always dabble a little - Maybe use my 50 a month...Some days I am at a loss of what to do as I spent so much time on the computer writing ads, or taking pictures, shopping, etc. --I know, big house, lots of kids/grandkids...but I did get efficient with much of that because of the time consuming eBay ads....So keep those PJ's on, I'll be checking in!

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

Nope, sorry, but I've worked (and shopped at) retail, and it is not a universal standard.  I don't shop at these .com versions, but I can tell you that even Walmart has tiered policies on what is returnable for how long and in what condition for a refund. 

eBay is for buyers, period.  And there will always be new sellers who hope to make it big.  ::shrugs:: 

~M

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

I feel exactly the same. I'm selling for about 10 years and feels like Ebay playing against of small sellers. I'm paying about $16-18K per year for Ebay selling fees and they still keep moving us out. Why? If Ebay wants to copy Amazon and Walmart - they have to pay from their own funds for the return shipping labels in case customers just changed their mind and return, or item just doesn’t fit.

My average shipping cost is $14 per item, so to ship and return it $28. If I raise my fee for even 10% my sales will go down tremendously. But this 10% will not cover my expenses. I been TRS for the last 8-9 years, but starting of June 1, I'm going down. I am not agree to use my store as a free fitting room and I also have to pay for the return. I'm selling only brand new items, so I'm already down for my money when I have return, as I'm not able to sell them as new in retail packaging any more. Restocking fees helped a lot. Now Ebay eliminate them. Because I will not be a Top Seller started June 1, I also loose shipping discount as well.

I feel as unwanted child... Sorry Ebay that you treat your sellers this way. This is so unfear. I have 100% rating and I'm working for this rating a lot. I'm trying to make the best service, I have lots of perfect reviews. So kick out sellers like me from the Top Rated just because we don't like when customers abuse us? Please open your eyes and think what you doing! This is not the perfect world. We are not multimillionaire businesses. We just trying to feed our kids and trying to run honest business. Please re-think this abusive policies for sellers!

Customers coming to buy on Ebay because they are able to find bargain prices. We will not be able to do good prices with this policies. So you’ll lost your customers you so badly fighting for.

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

Hello,

As a 15+ Year Selling Veteran (for many /  multiple accounts / clients), I have to agree with this post 100%. 

Every statement made is accurate and Hits Home like a bull's eye dart; I have come to believe that whatever 'changes' were done to the Management down there in San Jose sometime within the last two years were VERY BAD decisions which have doen NOTHING to raise either Buyer's or Seller's faith in this online parking lot swap meet. 

The ownership of this site should listen to your statements and THINK about them as HELPFUL suggestions; they are NOT critical stabs at how poorly things have become run down there;

Practicall every 'New Feature' that has come to exist on this site over the past two years has made things either WORSE / MORE COMPLICATED /  or MORE COSTLY for Sellers.  

They will NEVER be AMAZON. They shouldn't WANT to be AMAZON. I can understand wanting to have the income of AMAZON, but it will not be achieved by 'mimicry' or 'copying' them; 

Remember your IDENTITY eBay? You lost it a couple years ago, so you may not remember what it was.

The year was 1997.  The eBay identity was that of a place where folks of all kinds could come and display their quirky, unusual, hard-to-find, rare, sought-after, fun, bizarre, collectible and/or cool items and offer them FOR SALE to the highest bidder. I cut my teeth on that model, and did a pretty fair number of great exchanges in the process; which in turn made folks happy; they returned; maybe not to me, but to a different Seller with cooler stuff than I; that's cool; I knew there'd be others coming along soon; and over and over it went.

Fast forward to now. 

I scramble daily to try and make a few cents Selling here. Often my items are 'invisible' to people searching for them because I haven't properly jumped through all the new Circus Rings such as Structured Data which doesn't even apply to stuff I LIKE to sell; I can keep trying to Play The Game by giving up even more of my profit in the Pay TO Play racket known as Promoted Listings, but with all the Fees and unwarranted Percentages of Selling price that get taken off the top, my stack of cash is pretty small each month, and I'm running out of reasons to join a race of Monkey's clammoring on top of each other like Peacocks during a mating ritual all trying to sell the exact same Oven Mit. Let Amazon deal with that zoo, ok?

'Cause for me, and as the great B.B. King once said,  "...the Thrill is Gone...";

I can hear the young bucks now: 

'Then scram, old man!...that's just more room for us.' which is just part of life sometimes, I know. But losing people like myself and the Original Poster of this Topic is not the best idea you could have right now. Although, if the last two years of ideas coming out of San Jose is any indication, 'Good' apparently isn't a necessary part of the process. 

In closing, I should simply say to those in power down there:

REMEMBER YOUR IDENTITY. It was a GOOD one.

It was WORKING. People flocked to it. 

Your Sellers made some money. You made good money.

That made you a household name. People liked you. 

It multiplied exponentially on all those levels to bring you to that fateful day of terrible decision making Two Years ago to try to 'be like Amazon' simply because you believed they were taking 'your share' of the pie. THAT is where it all started to collapse. But it's not too late to go back and claim what was once yours. Start by firing the morons 'Managing things' down there and give Sellers a BREAK on the Fees. I bet you'll blossum like my Daffodils are right now. 

Thanks. I hope someone's listening...:-)

T

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

Well, if Etsy does not get involved in the return policies then I can see why people might like it there . Thanks for the info.

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

How are TRS punished for delivering excellent service? You mean by offering free ship, 30 day returns and free ship back? Perhaps the buyers will consider this EXCELLENCE, regardless of the "punishment" from Ebay for attracting them to your items and them buying them more because you were "punished" by Ebay.

Message 30 of 42
latest reply