cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can a seller use media mail to ship me for free shipping a crystal bowl via Media Mail 7/27/2023?

I thought it was not legal to ship breakable glass by media mail. What is the cheapest way to ship that product?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: can a seller use media mail to ship me for free shipping a crystal bowl via Media Mail 7/27/2023

Media Mail is for media only and even with that it has strict guidelines such as no media with advertising. They are just plain nuts (and probably not real bright) if they try to ship it using Media Mail.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: can a seller use media mail to ship me for free shipping a crystal bowl via Media Mail 7/27/2023

Glass items do not qualify for Media Mail. Glass isn’t Media. See the screenshot below for what qualifies for Media Mail. Priority mail or Ground Advantage would be the only way to ship glass items with USPS. 

IMG_0800.jpeg

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The odds are 99.9% that one of two things will happen.  It will be returned to the seller, or delivered to you with postage due.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@dcarolpare wrote:

I thought it was not legal to ship breakable glass by media mail. What is the cheapest way to ship that product?

Are you asking as the buyer or the seller @dcarolpare ?

You have a lot of glass items listed. If you sold one and the shipping label page is defaulting to Media Mail, change it to the service that was buyer selected at checkout and advertised in the listing (as long as that wasn't Media mail). Sometimes the shipping label page defaults to the wrong service so you have to pay close attention when purchasing your labels.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

No as a seller or buyer. Not only that but it is slower shipping which most people don't realize. And probably if it did just shipped that way it would be in a million pieces when buyer gets. Package of "Media Mail" should have the words on it per the clerks at my post office. And you can't put "handle with care" or "fragile" on package because it is suppose to be a book or such.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@dcarolpare wrote:

Are you asking as the buyer or the seller @dcarolpare ?

Sorry, I saw you answered that in the title of the thread. I was only reading the post content. Yeah, that seller is violating USPS rules if they ship Media Mail. Did you make the purchase? If not, I'd move on to a different seller. If you already bought and the seller shipped, you can report them to USPS after the package arrives.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Only these items are eligible for Media Mail: Media Mail Eligibility 

Should they go to a window & still you that service, when discovered, the recipient will be required to pay the full postage assessed in order to claim the package. If refused, upon return, the same applies to shipper. The USPS will get paid before delivery.

As to service, you need dimensions & weight to determine service eligibility. The days of "cheap" shipping are long gone. Your options are now from "less expensive". All the carriers use automation to sort, ship & containerize parcels so it is a matter of coverage for damage in the end.

Until something happens for breakage - lowest service now at USPS is Ground Advantage - within dimensions & weight. Comes with insurance to $100 as a base free.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Possibility #3: delivered to OP in a trillion pieces.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply