cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when buyer files INR & asks eBay to "step in".....

I have some outstanding INRs due to the USPS problems. None have yet filed asking eBay to "step in", but my question when this inevitably happens, is I guess eBay automatically pulls the refund money from my account & refunds the buyer (despite all my efforts of numerous e-mails & keeping in touch w/buyers to try to avoid this). Then say after they refund the buyer, the item delivers a week or two later. What happens to me then? I am out the item, out the shipping cost, & out the $$$ for the item the buyer originally paid. Someone please advise. Is there any recourse or since I can't provide proof of delivery at the time eBay refunds am I just scr**ed, even if the item ultimately does deliver??? Please share any help or advice. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: What happens when buyer files INR & asks eBay to "step in".....

@remote_controls_and_more wrote:

If buyer is refunded, wait for it to be delivered. Call ebay and they will credit you.

I have no idea where you got this idea. 

The only protection eBay is offering is defect removal or negative feedback removal if the package is finally delivered after you issue a refund.    EBay can not force the buyer to repay you nor are they refunding buyers out of their pocket.

Here's my advice for inr packages >>>>

If the item is expensive then I'd try to do a package intercept on the USPS site if an item not received case was filed and it doesn't look like the package will be delivered soon. There is a fee for this service.

Be sure to communicate with your buyer and let them know that you have contacted USPS and are awaiting an update.

This is what I would say: I know you are anxiously awaiting your package and I appreciate your patience in these difficult times. Please rest assured that you will receive your item or a full refund. You have 30 days from the last estimated delivery date to file a refund request on eBay. I am following up with the postal service and will keep you updated.

Hopefully communicating with your buyer will calm them down and they will be willing to wait a bit longer for their item.

If they file a refund request I recommend refunding because if they ask eBay to step in eBay will FORCE a refund you will be out your sellers fees and get a DEFECT.   Ebay is currently keeping item not received cases an additional 10 days if the package shows movement in the last 10 days, be sure to still refund before the time is up to avoid a defect that you may or may not be able to have removed.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Helping-buyers-understand-shipping-delays-and-wha...

If you end having to refund before the item arrives then you will need to send the buyer a Paypal invoice and hope they repay you. I think that most buyers are honest and will repay you if given the opportunity.

I would say on the invoice: Thank you for your patience and understanding in these difficult times.

You might offer a small discount to encourage them to pay again.

You will have to ask the buyer for their PayPal email address to send the invoice. You are allowed to share contact information after a recent sale. This is not considered an offsite transaction since the sale already took place.
Or ask them to mark the item refused return to sender if they no longer want it.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Oh hon Merry Covidmas and go enjoy yourself. Go talk to USPS clerks and they will explain it to you. I got to move on.

I gratefully dont have to bow down to your nonsense. ever.

As you said think what you want to think. 

Coincidence 3x is not facts.

Neither are your feelings.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

@remote_controls_and_more wrote:

If buyer is refunded, wait for it to be delivered. Call ebay and they will credit you.

I have no idea where you got this idea. 

The only protection eBay is offering is defect removal or negative feedback removal if the package is finally delivered after you issue a refund.    EBay can not force the buyer to repay you nor are they refunding buyers out of their pocket.

Here's my advice for inr packages >>>>

If the item is expensive then I'd try to do a package intercept on the USPS site if an item not received case was filed and it doesn't look like the package will be delivered soon. There is a fee for this service.

Be sure to communicate with your buyer and let them know that you have contacted USPS and are awaiting an update.

This is what I would say: I know you are anxiously awaiting your package and I appreciate your patience in these difficult times. Please rest assured that you will receive your item or a full refund. You have 30 days from the last estimated delivery date to file a refund request on eBay. I am following up with the postal service and will keep you updated.

Hopefully communicating with your buyer will calm them down and they will be willing to wait a bit longer for their item.

If they file a refund request I recommend refunding because if they ask eBay to step in eBay will FORCE a refund you will be out your sellers fees and get a DEFECT.   Ebay is currently keeping item not received cases an additional 10 days if the package shows movement in the last 10 days, be sure to still refund before the time is up to avoid a defect that you may or may not be able to have removed.  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Helping-buyers-understand-shipping-delays-and-wha...

If you end having to refund before the item arrives then you will need to send the buyer a Paypal invoice and hope they repay you. I think that most buyers are honest and will repay you if given the opportunity.

I would say on the invoice: Thank you for your patience and understanding in these difficult times.

You might offer a small discount to encourage them to pay again.

You will have to ask the buyer for their PayPal email address to send the invoice. You are allowed to share contact information after a recent sale. This is not considered an offsite transaction since the sale already took place.
Or ask them to mark the item refused return to sender if they no longer want it.

I got the idea from the multiple CS reps I talked to.  I have already been credited for a closed INR claim.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@remote_controls_and_more. Count yourself one of the very few lucky sellers as courtesy refunds are not the norm. 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

I was also told to let the case close on its own, if you manually refund they cant credit you back with the appeal.

Message i got after calling support after a package was delivered that was auto refunded.

We've granted your appeal

Hi ******,

After reviewing the case, we decided to reverse the outcome and grant your appeal.

You'll receive a refund of US $****** to your total funds.

This case will not affect your seller performance, and we’ll remove any feedback that was posted for this item.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply