cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS to replace First Class Package, Retail Ground, Parcel Select with Ground Advantage Summer 2023

As USPS implements price & service changes every July (think the first year was August), I expect that's about the time they're planning to roll this out.

https://postalnews.com/blog/2023/02/10/usps-seeks-to-replace-first-class-package-service-with-usps-g...

WASHINGTON, Feb. 10, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — As part of its overall strategy to enhance its shipping offerings, the United States Postal Service today filed a procedural filing with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) notifying the commission of the Postal Service’s intention to replace its existing First-Class Package Service category with USPS Ground Advantage. USPS Ground Advantage will feature two-to five day service standards for packages up to 70 pounds.

The filing streamlines and simplifies package shipping options for customers and enhances the Postal Service’s ground product offering with the anticipated summer 2023 launch of its improved ground product — USPS Ground Advantage.

Message 1 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

USPS to replace First Class Package, Retail Ground, Parcel Select with Ground Advantage Summer 2023

Thanks for your work.  I began adding shipping charges back to my listings after a decade or so of offering free shipping on everything. It just isn't cost-effective for me anymore to not pass on at least half the actual shipping fee. I use to be able to ship padded envelopes for 69¢. Now they are around $5. Same with Priority. Use to be $3.95 now everything seems to be at least $10. Don't even mention adding insurance. At least I have a third-party insurance company that is about 1/10th of what the USPS charges.  The downside is you have to pay an annual fee which is around $150. So you have to determine if will be a benefit or not for the annual cost. It looks like I will be putting S/I charges on more and more of my listings after this gets implemented.  Just my 2¢, now $5, worth.

Message 16 of 164
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

It does look like we're losing that last ounce of First Class package shipping, and 15+ ounces will ship at the one-pound rate which is a pretty big price jump. 

Yes, I noticed that. I have 3 lines of product that are going to be hit hard by that. 😞

An entirely different price for one stupid ounce. And the commercial jump is $1-2 depending on zone. That's not insignificant. It's under a pound, give us a break!

All those posters that currently have problems when they use calc FCP shipping on packages over 13 oz will no longer come here asking why their buyers are being charged Priority rates because there will no longer be a retail weight limit of 13 oz.

Message 17 of 164
latest reply

@oldwestgold wrote:

Thanks for your work. 

No prob. I'm in the midst of sourcing new inventory that's under a lb so I was anxious to know how this change would impact and if I should go forward with these products or not. Figured I'm doing the work to find out these GA details anyway, might as well share it.

Is that what we're calling it? GA? So we don't confuse USPS Ground with UPS Ground?

Message 18 of 164
latest reply

I am curious to see if this will affect those who wrap labels around a package:

Minimum: large enough to accommodate postage, address, and other required elements on the address side

Message 19 of 164
latest reply

That's already be in the requirements, but widely ignored.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#ep1097220

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.31.20 AM.png

Message 20 of 164
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up and update.   How do folks feel about ebay's ability to update their shipping flow for this? 

Message 21 of 164
latest reply

I'm not really worried about it. With Reg Rate they converted to regular Priority so calculated shipping was unaffected and (as usual) anybody using flat rate or free ship had to manage the rates manually.

So I assume for this FCP will convert to GA or GRAD or whatever you want to call it. Retail Ground will also convert. Should be pretty seamless.

Parcel Select will be interesting to see how sellers react. What I assume will happen is it will be a straight conversion, and whether online or retail rates show will depend on the seller's shipping preferences. So if those sellers want to offer commercial rates they'll have to change their settings to offer online discounts for all USPS services - or switch to flat rate / rate tables. They will no longer be able to charge retail rates for all other services and commercial rates for ground service.

It's a little weird since USPS had Retail Ground and Parcel Select split up; that split never made sense to me. If those services had the same name with a retail/commercial split like every other service this wouldn't even be in question.

Message 22 of 164
latest reply

I do wonder though - will eBay add First Class Mail as a service or will sellers that ship flats and  PWE have to select a generic "Standard Shipping"? Would be nice to see them add FCM to the list of services.

That part will be problematic for sellers when they see their flat shipments suddenly advertising Ground Advantage - but if eBay were to announce in advance, add FCM as an option, and instruct sellers they need to make those changes that would ease what I see as a future pain point. Ideally they would add FCM well in advance of the July 9 changes so sellers could work on edits before FCP is switched over to GA. I know, I know, eBay will never do that, but I made you laugh, right?

Message 23 of 164
latest reply

Am I understanding correctly that the less than a pound 1st class will now be automatically insured too?

Message 24 of 164
latest reply

Yes, it look like all packages under this new service will come wth $100 coverage.

Message 25 of 164
latest reply

OOPS😲    I've shipped dozens of 5 1/2" x 4" x 2 1/2"   3-8 oz packages  in the past year and nobody said anything, and they all got to their destinations.   Label on top with scanning barcode on front.   hope they don't start cracking down on this!  I get these boxes free from a local Electronics Mfg. (Dumpster), and they work great for smaller light weight parts and pieces.  and I'm saving the Earth! 

Message 26 of 164
latest reply

It would also appear that Ebay shipping Supplies 4x4x4 box, doesn't meet USPS min size requirements?  I've shipped quite a few of those too!

Message 27 of 164
latest reply

When I use the 4x4x4 boxes from ebay and ship with pirate ship, it doesn't even let me select those dimensions saying its too small and I have to lie and say one side is 6 in.

Message 28 of 164
latest reply

They can honestly stop pricing on anything under whole inches. Most e-commerce sits do not allow fractional dimensional sizing. They round up. So this will always be more expensive going forward.

Message 29 of 164
latest reply

You mean the inability to react & update? I expect it to be a clusterflock of turkies.

Message 30 of 164
latest reply