cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS has lost its mind

Its really going to happen ebay sellers. I saw the written card at my post office yesterday. Any packages over 22" will have a flat 4.00 extra charge. Over 30" will have a 15.00 extra charge. Also a 15.00 charge for a square footage i cant remember the details. I have never seen so many price increases in the last 5 years from them and now this is just rediculous. I will be using UPS and Fed Ex a lot more than in the past. BTW they were talking about this last December. Nothing to do with the gas prices being so high. Also the new fleet will be getting 8mpg. Bad decisions across the board for USPS. a tiny % electric or hybrid 😞

I hope ebay can help mitigate some of this crazy cost for sellers.

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: USPS has lost its mind

@m60driver wrote:

UPS and Fedex have long been more competitive for larger and heavier packages.

I have been preaching this for years. 

Don't understand all the reasons sellers get completely stuck on USPS, though I know some don't have any other choice due to circumstances. 

I ship a lot of small items under a pound.

Also a lot of 1-3 pounders. 

And alot of 3 to 50 pounders.

UPS gets nearly all the heavier/larger shipments.

This USPS increase is just a small blip on the radar if UPS is utilized.

Message 46 of 105
latest reply

Instead of getting upset.  Maybe its time to reinvent your self.  And what you sell.  I have done it several times.  I used to sell clothes.  From there, I move to selling computers.  And the virus happen.  I was making good money selling computers.  My cost to ship 1 computer was $30 to $85 per computer (Free Shipping/Free Returns).  1 buyer return 1 computer.  It cost me $150 both ways, out of my pocket.  Not to be rude, but an extra $4, when I was selling computers is just nothing. 

Now, I sell watches.  Shipping is between $3.50 to $5.  If I get a return.  I might get upset for couple of minutes, but at the end, its not going to break the bank.  

Don't get upset.  Maybe its time for you to reinvent your self and what you sell.  Good luck on your selling journey.

Message 47 of 105
latest reply

@neatstuff4utoo wrote:

Its really going to happen ebay sellers. I saw the written card at my post office yesterday. Any packages over 22" will have a flat 4.00 extra charge. Over 30" will have a 15.00 extra charge. Also a 15.00 charge for a square footage i cant remember the details. I have never seen so many price increases in the last 5 years from them and now this is just rediculous. I will be using UPS and Fed Ex a lot more than in the past. BTW they were talking about this last December. Nothing to do with the gas prices being so high. Also the new fleet will be getting 8mpg. Bad decisions across the board for USPS. a tiny % electric or hybrid 😞

I hope ebay can help mitigate some of this crazy cost for sellers.

Ok, I have only read the Original Post, not any replies yet. So excuse me if I repeat what others have posted.

I am a mail carrier. I have not had time to list since the start of Covid so I have not gotten any such notice. If there is one in my Post Office I haven't seen it (I also don't have time to go up to the front). But if it is then it is justified. 

Since covid hit I DAILY pack my Jeep to the ceiling and at least a few times a week have to leave notices for packages I can't fit in. Most days I have large packages marked heavy or "team lift" LOL there is hardly room for me let alone a helper.  People are not shipping only Books, jeans, handbags and such, NOPE they are shipping 40# bags of dog food, tubs of cat litter, mattresses, refrigerators', drill presses, and even 69.2 #BOUNCE HOUSES.  I have one guy that gets 2 CASES of Monster every week (and has two flights of steps to his porch.  (FYI, this girl turned 62 last month, I doubt his stomach will make it to 40)

I am on a route that uses a POV (my jeep), I will have to replace it before I reach retirement as it currently has over 297,000 miles on it. I would LOVE an electric vehicle or hybrid but it isn't going to happen as NO ONE makes one that I can use on the route. NO ONE makes one that is right-hand drive, no one makes one that is 4 wheel drive, no one makes one that has the necessary ground clearance. NONE OF THE MANY COMPANIES' THAT COMPETED FOR THE CONTRACT FOR NEW VEHICLES OFFERED A ELECTRIC OR HYBRID. My route is 99 miles long, I have a 40 minute commute, I go through 3/4 of a tank of gas every day.  YES I know that seams like a lot, but I start and stop on my route over 500 times, my jeep on leaving the Post Office is heavy enough to make a visable differance in the look of my Jeep even with 10 ply tires and heavy duty shocks and springs. 

Oh and as for switching to FedEx and UPS, that is fine, but just know that they bumped up their prices MONTHS ago.

Message 48 of 105
latest reply

@lepke1979 wrote:

As mentioned, I think USPS feels like it is better suited for smaller stuff. Unless you have some awesome rate with UPS or FedEx, there is a reason USPS is better suited for stuff under a pound and the others don't seem to try and compete in that area.

As for electric mail trucks. I thought I heard 5-10% would be switched over to electric. I suppose they could bump that number up a little, but am OK with that. Would rather they test things out first before branching out further. Upgrading buildings to handle charging stations is bad enough. But electric cars aren't the best in all climates and testing to see how they do day to day is preferred than going full hog on them. Can easily see them requiring a charge or two each day and unless they have the ability to swap batteries, that won't be feasible in some cases. Not to mention some areas, electric won't be realistic at all. Although I suppose those could switch over to natural gas maybe. Or possibly hydrogen if they have stations for that in the particular area.

Plus with all that is going on right now, it's probably going to be difficult to even have new electric vehicles made soon.

For a time I was using a CNG Dodge Caravan. I liked it even though I had to straddle the middle. But it had ground clearance issues. You see we are on and off the berm a lot.  Not everyone maintains the area around the mailbox well. And of course, I could only use it in good weather needing to use my Jeep when it was rainy or there was snow and ice. When I was moved to my current route it just couldn't handle the roads (mostly unpaved) so it went to my daughter who used it for catering. 

When she got a position in a restaurant it got parked in the shed where it sat for 4 years.  I noticed a ISO ad wanting a CNG vehicle I answered and sent him some pictures, covered with 4 years of dust and bird droppings. He came out dropped in a battery and hit the key and it started right up. Pumped up a couple of low tires and cleaned the windshield and followed his wife home. Seriously you can't beat a CNG vehicle but the tanks do take up some room and fueling stations are few. They had free gas at home and a set up to fill right from their garage.

Message 49 of 105
latest reply

@macabrelibrarian wrote:

When this first came to light, I understood that this did not apply to Media Mail. Now I'm starting to wonder. Does anyone know?

I doubt that it would come into play. I deal mainly in media, to get packages that large would put them at a unmanagable weight. 

Message 50 of 105
latest reply

Easy answer to that, fishing rod cost $8-$10 shipping USPS, $22-$28 for UPS and UPS doesn't pick up at my home, 25 mile to the nearest drop off point.

Message 51 of 105
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

If the USPS increases bother you, wait until UPS and FedEx add similar fees because they can. 

The other parcel delivery services already have some extra fees for such things as rural delivery.  Fedex is notorious for adding fees and billing your Ebay account after you have shipped based on their "estimate".

Message 52 of 105
latest reply

I feel for you, my mail lady had the same problem since the virus started, some days she would have to go back to office mid route to refill packages. Being on a rural route she was working long after her paid hours and not pick up my orders until after 4pm.

But since around Dec.-Jan. the river started delivering their own packages which was about 70% of the packages she had. Now instead of coming thru between 3-5pm she's picking up 11am- noon and she doesn't have to figure out where to put my long(not heavy) packages and no double trips.

You said you haven't read the any of the posts on this thread or others, but what the USPS doesn't get, this is a business killer, its on average a 150% increase not the 8-10% yearly rate increase over the last 6-7 years. This surcharge will wipe out 50% of my business and being disable I can't do a 9-5 job, selling on ebay allows me to work around my disability

Message 53 of 105
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote: ... what the USPS doesn't get, this is a business killer ... 

I think USPS understands this perfectly.  The notice about these surcharges stated explicitly that it was to discourage customers from using USPS to ship packages that don't fit within their sorting machinery and thus have to be handled by actual humans: "A new series of nonstandard fees, applicable to certain competitive products, will be assessed on packages that cause the Postal Service to incur manual handling costs when the dimensions of the package exceed sortation requirements."

Message 54 of 105
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@goodbrakes wrote:

As a part of 2022 rate increases announced by USPS late last year, new fees will take effect for some USPS products and services starting April 3, 2022. Below is an overview of the USPS shipping services  increases.

Non-standard fees

Additional fees will apply when package dimensions exceed USPS sortation specifications and require manual sorting. These fees will apply to Retail Ground, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, Parcel Select Ground, and First Class Package Service.

• Packages that exceed 22 inches but are not greater than 30 inches in length: Add $4.00 per package
  • Packages that exceed 30 inches in length: Add $15.00 per package
  • Packages that exceed 2 cubic feet (3,456 cubic inches): Add $15.00 per package

A maximum of two non-standard fees may be assessed for a package.

Dimensional non-compliance fees

An additional $1.50 fee will apply to packages greater than 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) or 22 inches in length for Retail Ground, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, and Parcel Select Ground when:

• Dimensions provided are inaccurate
  • Dimensions are not provided

Our shipping calculator  will automatically factor in the non-standard fee changes to your shipping quote and the shipping charge a buyer sees.

Smart Ship Tip: Use our DIM weight reference guide  to check package compliance.

While we recognize these fees may impact your shipping costs, remember that when you print your labels on eBay you can save up to 30% with pre-negotiated USPS rates. 

tyler@ebay, velvet@ebay 

Questions regarding the above specifications ...

1. Will eBay's Calculated shipping automatically adjust for these new rates based on the dimensions / weight supplied by Sellers when they create their listings?

2. Will eBay's label flow automatically adjust for the Seller's cost for these new fees?

3. Will eBay be doing this automatically starting April 3, 2022?

Regards,

Mr. L

Hi @mr_lincoln

1. Our shipping labels will adjust for these new rates and if a seller happens to include inaccurate weight/dimension during the label purchase process, then those fees will be charged to the sellers original payment method similar to the methodology used to charge short paid postage today. You can view USPS adjustments by checking your shipping label dashboard here.

2. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant here or in question 1, they seem similar. The label flow will automatically adjust for these new fees if the label being purchased qualifies for the non-standard or dimensional non-compliance fees. Please let me know if I misunderstood something though. 

3. We will be charging these fees as applicable starting on April 3, 2022.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 55 of 105
latest reply

Sounds like the USPS is applying sound business practice.  If 10% of their packages take up 60% of everyone's time (I'm just making up numbers as example) then they need to adjust those prices to ensure profitability.  Otherwise, the 'normal' package customers are subsidizing the out-of-process packages.   Hopefully some of the funds will go into investment in their infrastructure so they can handle more packages because obviously the trend of people ordering dog food over the internet isn't going away.   

Actually, it is probably an app automatically ordering the next bag of cat litter.

Message 56 of 105
latest reply

OH I know they don't want to ship large packages what they don't get how many people will lose their business. I have to now decide if its worth selling or just filing disability

Message 57 of 105
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@heckofagame wrote:

I don't think the USPS is really efficient at larger packages. They take up a lot of space, requiring more trucks. Perhaps this is an attempt to move away from them and reduce costs. 

This is exactly why it seems perfectly fair to me-- I don't think they ever intended USPS to be used for a large volume of large, heavy packages. Some of the things I've seen the poor postal carriers delivering around here have been ridiculous.

And I agree with you.  I will say, the carrier in my town is pretty happy about this.  We live rural, in a teeny tiny farming community.  All the carriers here are considered rural carriers who use their own modified vehicles.  I have spotted him around town with his little modified sedan packed to the gills with packages during busy seasons.  Packages that don't fit stay behind at the PO and get a pick up tag to the recipient.  But our PO itself is very small too, and they frankly don't have a lot of room for those large packages.  

So I personally don't think USPS has lost it's mind here.  Large packages are just not something they are equipped to handle, especially in rural areas (and there are a lot of rural areas in the US).  They require more manpower and special handling than a lot of people realize.  

Message 58 of 105
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

OH I know they don't want to ship large packages what they don't get how many people will lose their business. ...

I think they get that, but they don't care. They have to prioritize their own efficiency.

Message 59 of 105
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@goodbrakes wrote:

As a part of 2022 rate increases announced by USPS late last year, new fees will take effect for some USPS products and services starting April 3, 2022. Below is an overview of the USPS shipping services  increases.

Non-standard fees

Additional fees will apply when package dimensions exceed USPS sortation specifications and require manual sorting. These fees will apply to Retail Ground, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, Parcel Select Ground, and First Class Package Service.

• Packages that exceed 22 inches but are not greater than 30 inches in length: Add $4.00 per package
  • Packages that exceed 30 inches in length: Add $15.00 per package
  • Packages that exceed 2 cubic feet (3,456 cubic inches): Add $15.00 per package

A maximum of two non-standard fees may be assessed for a package.

Dimensional non-compliance fees

An additional $1.50 fee will apply to packages greater than 1 cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches) or 22 inches in length for Retail Ground, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, and Parcel Select Ground when:

• Dimensions provided are inaccurate
  • Dimensions are not provided

Our shipping calculator  will automatically factor in the non-standard fee changes to your shipping quote and the shipping charge a buyer sees.

Smart Ship Tip: Use our DIM weight reference guide  to check package compliance.

While we recognize these fees may impact your shipping costs, remember that when you print your labels on eBay you can save up to 30% with pre-negotiated USPS rates. 

tyler@ebay, velvet@ebay 

Questions regarding the above specifications ...

1. Will eBay's Calculated shipping automatically adjust for these new rates based on the dimensions / weight supplied by Sellers when they create their listings?

2. Will eBay's label flow automatically adjust for the Seller's cost for these new fees?

3. Will eBay be doing this automatically starting April 3, 2022?

Regards,

Mr. L

Hi @mr_lincoln

1. Our shipping labels will adjust for these new rates and if a seller happens to include inaccurate weight/dimension during the label purchase process, then those fees will be charged to the sellers original payment method similar to the methodology used to charge short paid postage today. You can view USPS adjustments by checking your shipping label dashboard here.

2. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant here or in question 1, they seem similar. The label flow will automatically adjust for these new fees if the label being purchased qualifies for the non-standard or dimensional non-compliance fees. Please let me know if I misunderstood something though. 

3. We will be charging these fees as applicable starting on April 3, 2022.

Sorry velvet@ebay I should have been more clear on point #1 and added will Buyer's see the new rates based on the dimensions and weight Sellers put on their listings with the Calculated shipping method.

Thank you for confirming that eBay will adjust automatically for the new fees ... and please encourage the Shipping Team at eBay to put on their very best negotiating gear and work towards a better deal with USPS for eBay Sellers citing the millions and millions of packages we ship ... we're worth it ...

Best regards,

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 60 of 105
latest reply