cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Priority Large Flat Rate Board Game Box not an option under eBay Shipping

I  have a Priority Large Flat Rate Box (Board Game) with the dimensions 23-11/6" x 11-3/4" x 3".  I would like to ship a sale in this box, but eBay does not give me the option to select it.  Instead it only gives me "USPS Priority Large Flat Rate Box" with the dimensions 12" x 12" x 5 1/2".  USPS.com still offers this RETAIL service for the larger Board Game Box on its website https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=0&ccode=US&oz=23805&omil=False&dz=85083&dm...

and still provides the boxes for free.  https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-large-flat-rate-board-game-box-....

Can anyone confirm whether or not eBay would allow me the use of this box through its shipping service?

Has anyone used this box through eBay after February 2019?

This would mean the difference between $17.08 for the Flat Rate Box and approximately $38.16 for my own box (Priority or Parcel).

My last option would be to walk in to USPS and pay the retail, then fill in the tracking number.  However, that is not something I would like to make a habit of, if I don't have to, especially when the Retail insurance is only for $50 at the post office vs. $100 through eBay.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: USPS Priority Large Flat Rate Board Game Box not an option under eBay Shipping

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@Anonymous wrote: ... since this box is somewhat "retired" (in the sense that it is available through special order from USPS based on the research I've done) it makes sense that a member of Customer Service would give guidance to use the label only for the package type we have listed within our system. ...  .... 

Far from being "somewhat retired", this box is available just like any other when ordering free Priority Mail supplies at usps.com. As noted above, when purchasing postage through Click N ship at the usps site, they do not differentiate between this box and the original Large FRB.

The underlying problem here is that eBay has never updated their shipping pages to encompass this box, which is one of the newest of the available free Priority Mail packaging items.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 4.36.00 PM.png

Hi @nobody*s_perfect, when I referred to this package type as somewhat retired, it was based on the information provided by other sellers that this size was not as popular as USPS had hoped, so is only available to order from USPS. The "somewhat" is in reference to how this is still available for order, as you have pictured. 

Again, we aren't able to speak with authority on the products and services of shipping couriers even when some of those options are available through eBay. From everything that I've reviewed, it seems like the board game box is not always available in store, so updating the shipping label form could lead to confusion for sellers who arrive at the post office to package and ship with a label in hand, but end up having to use a different package type and thus a different label. The designation by USPS that the board game box is also considered a large flat rate package is available on the USPS website for sellers who wish to use this package type and either have access to it already or plan to order them. I've tried researching this to the best of my ability using the USPS website and some of the some of the reports provided by sellers within the Community. If anyone has a resource that goes into more detail about this package type or possibly something that confirms this is available in most postal locations, I'm happy to pass along suggestions to update our shipping label page accordingly slight_smile

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Re: USPS Priority Large Flat Rate Board Game Box not an option under eBay Shipping

@Anonymous wrote: ... it seems like the board game box is not always available in store, so updating the shipping label form could lead to confusion for sellers who arrive at the post office to package and ship with a label in hand ... possibly something that confirms this is available in most postal locations .... 

Indeed, most PO's don't keep this box in stock.  Post Offices have limited allowances for the free packaging that they offer to their customers, so naturally they choose the items that are most in demand.

The "game" box deserves its lack of popularity since   it's a specialized shape and often not a good value compared to weight-based postage for many items (including board games).  But most of the non-flat-rate popular Priority boxes, such as the 07 and 04, are also not readily available at PO's.  It doesn't make sense that eBay would avoid offering postage for this box just to accommodate unprepared sellers.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

I'm pretty sure that there are only two versions of the Large FRB.  You can see them on the second page of Notice 123, as well as on the usps.com pages for ordering supplies.  If you go to the label purchasing pages on Click N Ship, you'll see only one option for Large FRB labels, same as on eBay shipping.  I suspect that the CS rep was relying on old eBay information that just never got updated after the introduction of the "game board" box.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

There are only 2 available now but there are actually still three. The side load box can still be special ordered, it wasn't popular so it was taken out of mass production. I have no clue how many you have to order if you request a non standard size box.

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

I never heard of those.  Thanks for the update.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:
There are only 2 available now but there are actually still three. The side load box can still be special ordered, it wasn't popular so it was taken out of mass production. I have no clue how many you have to order if you request a non standard size box.

Back in the day (and this may still be true, though I haven't seen it recently), you could order non-Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes in your own specified size and including your company logo on the outside, along with all the usual Priority Mail and USPS artwork. I seriously doubt that they were free, but the personalized sizing and logo were probably the main selling points. I have a PM box in my basement someplace that's in a non-standard size and branded with a home-delivery dog food company logo on the side.

I don't know how popular that program was, as that was the only personalized PM box I've seen.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

Yes, I knew that businesses could order Priority Mail boxes in custom sizes (in quantity) but I'd never heard about a third type of Large flat rate box, although I've been selling here since before even the original flat rate boxes (now known as Medium) were introduced.  

Perhaps the game board box will be discontinued, as the Regional C was (and for similar reasons related to not being a good value).  

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Getting ready to use the game box now.  The cost from ebay is the same as what usps charges for shipping ($19.95) - priority mail large flat rate box.  The size listed on usps is the 24" size.  Ebay has not updated their shipping sizes.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

If you type in the dimensions of the PFR game box (24 x 3 x 11) it should appear.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Thanks!
Message 24 of 35
latest reply

I have used that box.  Type in the dimensions of the box and select the USPS packaging.  Then choose Large Flat Rate.  You will be good to go.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

Thanks!

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

Can you ship anything in these large flat rate game boxes or is it just for games?

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Anything that's legal to ship.  "Board game" is just a nickname, like "Shoe box" for the Priority Mail box that's roughly the size and shape of a shoe box.

The large flat rate box is often not a good choice for shipping a board game, since the regular Priority Mail rate (based on dimensions, weight, and distance) could be much less.  For instance, online postage for the large flat rate box is $18.30, but you can ship 3 pounds to Zone 4 for just $8.59. Postage for 4 pounds to Zone 8 is $18.14, and most boxes board games would weigh less than that.

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Hi,

I have the exact same question as the original poster. Could anyone here confirm if the Game Board boxes can still be used with the ebay LFRB label as of today? This was posted a year ago, so I'd like to know if their policy has changed since then. Thanks!

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

The game box is a Large Flat Rate box. This is not an eBay policy, it's a USPS policy.  There are two different Medium flat rate boxes, and two Large ones including the "game" box.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply