cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcing cheaper, shipping supplies

so I was reading, a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with this one, and I realized a lot of people were talking about the cost of shipping supplies.

it got me thinking… Why is shipping supplies cost such a big thing for some of them? And then I realize that a lot of you probably buy your shipping supplies - maybe from eBay and maybe from usps.

so I would just like to leave some of my tips here that saves me a lot of money on shipping supplies.

1. I get them for free OR I buy in bulk - there is no in between. 
 You either get them in bulk or you get them for free. I buy my tape in bulk from Sam’s club or Walmarts. I get the big packing tape and getting it in bulk saved me money and it lasts me a LONG LONG TIME. 
I don’t order eBay envelopes. I know it looks cute but I’m a penny pinching snob and I’m sorry but it’s a waste of your harder money, having the cute little logo on the envelope go to usps.com and order your envelopes of ALL sizes for FREE. 

boxes - most places have a box been outback, or they are more than happy to help you locate empty boxes. I go and snipe boxes from my local pharmacy and dollar general Family Dollar stores.

i reuse diaper boxes, cereal boxes, Sam’s club corndog boxes. You can use ANY box - so long as it can close, it’s sturdy, and there is no alcohol or nicotine brands on it. 

Ink and labels. Guys. Idk about where y’all are but my post office can now scan QR codes and print the label right there at the post office. 

save yourself some time effort and change - have the Post office print your labels. 

and! That’s all! I hope it helped someone! ❤️

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Sourcing cheaper, shipping supplies

diaper boxes, cereal boxes, Sam’s club corndog boxes????   I would not want to get a package like that.

Message 61 of 68
latest reply

That's great that you have some resources for storing things, especially the plastic bins. I have quite a few of my items in those bins. The majority of my items here, tho, are in an oak bureaus. That's the beauty of selling smaller items - less storage space is needed.

Silver fish would have me heading for the hills too!

Message 62 of 68
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Mileage to and from PO is deductible.

But deductible doesn't = free.

But then no one said it was.

Then why have the argument that mileage to PO is deductible versus staying put at home and having the mail carrier come to you to pick up? Staying put at home still wins since you don’t spend gas.

Message 63 of 68
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Mileage to and from PO is deductible.

But deductible doesn't = free.

But then no one said it was.

Then why have the argument that mileage to PO is deductible versus staying put at home and having the mail carrier come to you to pick up? Staying put at home still wins since you don’t spend gas.

Well you can stay home and do your shipping, then put it in your mail box or ask for a carrier pick up.

I you drive to the PO to drop off or otherwise process your shipping, the mileage to and from the PO is a tax deductible expense.

With that said, it is still likely cheaper to ship from home as it takes less of your time when you can be doing other things and the deductible rate for mileage isn't likely enough to actually cover your real expenses of using your vehicle.  It certainly doesn't cover your time.

It is a choice for each of us to make.  Whatever works best for you is the right answer for you.  Not everyone does the same things.  2023 rate is 65.5 cents per mile.

For me, round trip that would be 16 miles so 65.5 x 16 = $10.48 per trip.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 64 of 68
latest reply

On my personal account, I have actually gotten praise for using recycled boxes when I do things like that.  For the business I work for, however (this account) we do prefer the more professional look of always (or almost always) using new boxes.  We do get them from Uline, which is great if you're getting enough (we do) but some people certainly don't do enough volume to justify it.  We usually get two or sometimes three pallets of boxes in an order.

Message 65 of 68
latest reply

@flowerofdestiny1990 

This reddit post I saw today reminded me of this thread:

Screenshot_20240115_075134_Reddit.jpg

Message 66 of 68
latest reply

The title says it all 😂

Message 67 of 68
latest reply

I was surprised I didn't see posts about getting free labels for thermal printers.

Go to Youtube or Google and search for free thermal labels.  I even found info on getting the thermal printer for free, but that's probably only if you spend a lot in shipping with the shipping company.

Message 68 of 68
latest reply