cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel this transaction or just reship?

I sold an item on 1/5 and shipped it out.  Last week it was returned to me as refused as the buyer was not known at that address.  I tried contacting him immediately and got no answer until yesterday~~he asked when I was going to ship it.

I explained to him that I had shipped it and it had been returned to me.  I got a message from him this morning telling me to ship it again~~giving me different details of his address.  I shipped it to Minneapolis to the address in pay pal.  The info he is giving me now is to ship it to Bloomington~~same address and same zip code but added an apartment number.

BTW~~he does not speak English very well.

If I do ship it and change the tracking number will ebay get me for late shipping? 

I'm thinking to just cancel due to a problem with the buyers address, relist it and he can buy it again and pay giving the correct address and city OR should I call ebay and have them look at the details of the tracking and that it was returned to me and his message this morning to ship it to a totally different city?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

wrote:

I sold an item on 1/5 and shipped it out.  Last week it was returned to me as refused as the buyer was not known at that address.  I tried contacting him immediately and got no answer until yesterday~~he asked when I was going to ship it.

I explained to him that I had shipped it and it had been returned to me.  I got a message from him this morning telling me to ship it again~~giving me different details of his address.  I shipped it to Minneapolis to the address in pay pal.  The info he is giving me now is to ship it to Bloomington~~same address and same zip code but added an apartment number.

BTW~~he does not speak English very well.

If I do ship it and change the tracking number will ebay get me for late shipping? 

I'm thinking to just cancel due to a problem with the buyers address, relist it and he can buy it again and pay giving the correct address and city OR should I call ebay and have them look at the details of the tracking and that it was returned to me and his message this morning to ship it to a totally different city?

If you cancel due to problem with buyer's address,  you will eat the original shipping cost if the item had free shipping.    I'm not quite sure how it works if the buyer paid separate shipping, that is, if they still get a full refund when you cancel or if you have the option to deduct the shipping cost (anyone want to chime in on this?). 

Some sellers send the buyer a message saying that they will issue a partial refund through Paypal (this message needs to be sent on eBay so there is a record of it) for the item less the original shipping .    You won't get FVF's back if you do this, so you may want deduct a little extra from the refund for "handling" .    Then, after the buyer updates their account address,  they are free to repurchase.   

Other sellers offer a re-ship as long as the buyer is willing to pay the re-shipping cost.   I do not recommend sending a paypal invoice / money request.  I have done this at least 3 times and the buyers can NEVER pay it because they say the link doesn't work.   I just create a special listing for them for "reship costs" and they can buy that.  Then I attach the new tracking number to that listing. 

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

You ship from the post office if I remember correctly so if you just don't upload the new tracking number it won't affect your shipping time.  I would not pay for reshipping though. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I sold it for $39.99 + $10.00 shipping.  The actual shipping was $7.60 since he is so close to me (WI & MN).  I only paid $2.00 for the item at the thrift shop so I would be more than willing to ship it free and not charge additional shipping to him.  I'm just wondering if he files a INR and the original tracking number shows it was returned to me I'd be out of luck and he'd get a refund.  I did look up the zip and it's the same zip for Minneapolis & Bloomington.  I'm concerned because he doesn't speak English very well and doesn't appear to know even the city he actually lives in.  I hate to put more money into shipping when it may very well get returned to me again.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

When this happens, I offer to reship if they will pay the cost to reship.  If they agree, I invoice them the shipping cost in Paypal.  When they pay, I then print the shipping label in Paypal and ship the item.  I message them in eBay messaging with their tracking number.  This way, you don't get dinged for late shipping by using eBay shipping.  In addition, you've resolved the issue and it's documented in eBay messaging.   When an item is returned due to bad address you'll also win an INR case if they open one any way.  If they don't want to pay for reshipping, then your return policies will dictate how you process the refund.  Best of luck!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

wrote:

I sold it for $39.99 + $10.00 shipping.  The actual shipping was $7.60 since he is so close to me (WI & MN).  I only paid $2.00 for the item at the thrift shop so I would be more than willing to ship it free and not charge additional shipping to him.  I'm just wondering if he files a INR and the original tracking number shows it was returned to me I'd be out of luck and he'd get a refund.  I did look up the zip and it's the same zip for Minneapolis & Bloomington.  I'm concerned because he doesn't speak English very well and doesn't appear to know even the city he actually lives in.  I hate to put more money into shipping when it may very well get returned to me again.

You would win if he filed an INR. He gave a bad address.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

With eBay not with PayPal.  But maybe if the second shiping delivered that tracking can be used in a PayPal case?

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I mailed EVERYTHING yesterday so won't be mailing again until Monday or Tuesday.  Wednesday I have to head up to MN. if the weather is good and come back Thursday.  I have time to think what I want to do.  If he gets impatient and files INR I'll just show through tracking that he gave a bad address.  Why can't buyers have their "stuff" together?  He has recent feedback before his purchase from me from a China seller~~wonder if he got that package?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This is also what we do - and it works well if the buyer responds.  If he/she doesn't respond, it's on them, not you, and you can prove such if you keep all correspondence within the eBay system.

(There's a package on my desk which was returned for Sender Unknown, and there's been no response from the buyer.  Just reshelved an international package yesterday which had sold in June, shipped to China, returned in Dec. as Sender Unknown, and no response from the buyer.)

~M

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

With eBay not with PayPal.  But maybe if the second shiping delivered that tracking can be used in a PayPal case?

yeah I should have mentioned she will win an ebay INR if the buyer files one, thats what I thought she was concerned about. I think if she reships, she should be ok reshipping, there's a paper trail from the buyer.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 10
latest reply