cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller underpaying shipping?

I purchased an item on EBay that had a shipping charge of $0.87.  This means that I was charged $0.87 for shipping and the buyer paid $0.87 for their shipping label (possibly with a discounted rate from ShipStation).

The next day, I received a USPS automated package verification (APV) shipping adjustment charge for $1.81, paid to ShipStation (ultimately USPS), because the seller had listed the item with a weight of 1lb (actually 2.14lb) and a package dimension of 0x0x0 (actually 11.70x3.00x8.80).

So the seller paid $0.87 for shipping but, due to USPS's APV, I was ultimately charged $2.68 for shipping.

Is there any consequence to the seller for this?  Or is this a way to take advantage of USPS's APV only charging the buyer, enabling the seller to underpay shipping costs scot free?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller underpaying shipping?

Disregard, I figured it out.  It came on the heels of a purchase, so I thought it was related to that, but I finally traced it back to an item I sold weeks ago.  I disagree with the charge, but I can deal with that. 

Sorry for the erroneous thread.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I used to get the charges

I am unsure just what  has happened but as far as I know the seller pays for the shipping and gets charged  any extra. I am unsure just how the USPS could even bill a buyer before delivery

how are they making an adjustment to the buyer?

@rigeltiger 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Because the buyer is using Shipstation and not eBay direct for labels, that is why they are sending out that notice- but that notice could've went to the seller as well. Does it tell you that you need to pay it at the door or before the item continues shipping? If the seller doesn't pay it and they don't ship it, you just have to file a 'did not received' 2 days after the last estimated delivery date shown on the listing when you purchased. 

Regarding 'is this a way for a seller to etc....'- NO.

This is an inexperienced seller or a seller that made a mistake using the 'calculated' shipping. They chose the wrong type of shipment, input the wrong weight etc. as there is nothing that ships for .87c except regular envelope that is over 1oz. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Disregard, I figured it out.  It came on the heels of a purchase, so I thought it was related to that, but I finally traced it back to an item I sold weeks ago.  I disagree with the charge, but I can deal with that. 

Sorry for the erroneous thread.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Try and have this question deleted so no one else spends time reading it.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply