cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller refuses to refund me for insufficient postage. What are my options?

Hi there! As the title suggests, I purchased an item and USPS held the package at my post office because there was insufficient postage. When I talked to the clerk behind the counter, he told me the reason the package was held is because the shipper used the wrong type of shipping label... the seller put a label on the box for a flat rate envelope (says flat rate envelope clear as day on the label), and the item was shipped in a box.

I paid the $11.75 for insufficient postage, and the clerk gave me a receipt proving that I paid the insufficient postage. On the receipt, it shows that I picked it up with the tracking number clearly visible, and directly below the tracking number it says "Postage Due Invoice Type: Short Paid/Other Postage Due" and shows the $11.75. The tracking doesn't show insufficient postage, but it does show that it was delivered at the time and date of the USPS receipt that shows there was insufficient postage.

I immediately sent the seller a message saying that I would like a partial refund for the insufficient postage along with a picture of the receipt indicating the insufficient postage, and the box with his address, my address, and the tracking number. The seller sent me this the next morning:

"It’s probably because the original shipping payment was for the weight of one box not two. Total weight was 7 lbs. I cannot reimburse the cost to ship the tapes. The retail cost of the tapes is over $100."

Is there anything I can do to recoup the $11.75? Or should I have not paid to release the package? It's not a lot of money but it still feels like I got scammed to an extent.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Seller refuses to refund me for insufficient postage. What are my options?

@fab_finds4u, @releasethekraken_1 

Will a NAD with PayPal mean that the buyer might have to return the item? Logically, the seller would issue a refund for the postage... but what's the worst case scenario for @cjmspartans?

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

I'd be interested in hearing about this as well... what my worst case scenario would be if I went this route. I ultimately want to keep the item as it was a good deal and (mostly) as described, aside from the incorrect postage.

In my eyes, you'd think eBay would side with the buyer with a NAD case because the seller screwed up in the item listing but it really doesn't seem that simple. I'm hoping someone can chime in on what PayPal may do as a worst case scenario. Would I get to keep the item but eat the cost, or would they require me to return it?

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@cjmspartans wrote:

In my eyes, you'd think eBay would side with the buyer with a NAD case because the seller screwed up in the item listing but it really doesn't seem that simple. I'm hoping someone can chime in on what PayPal may do as a worst case scenario. Would I get to keep the item but eat the cost, or would they require me to return it?

I THINK that if you file a NAD case on the basis of insufficient postage the seller can still ask to have it returned first - although he should be required to send a return label for that. I hope he would be.

But that would be dumb for the seller to do - pay even more just to get his stuff back and then refund on top of that. His explanation makes no sense. Maybe try another message to him and just say - look - the package was fine but you put the wrong label on it - thats all. Just reimburse me for the overage that I had to pay. (Make no mention of feedback in any way.)

Just wondering - if he had put the right Priority postage on the package do you know what the cost would have been? Im just wondering if the $11.75 you had to pay would have anywhere close to what it would have cost you if the charge was correctly based on package weight & dimensions to ship to your Zip code from his. Meaning that this whole thing might have been a wash even without his messing up the choice of postage.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

The priority mail packaging has a barcode on it. I've done this accidentally before (used a priority express envelope to ship regular priority) and indeed the customer is charged for postage due sometimes if you put the label on the wrong box. He needs to reimburse you for that..  It is an honest mistake, just it isn't your mistake. 

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Any resolution? Im dealing with this right now. Seller shorted +$4 paid for 3oz and shipped it in flat rate envelop. I needed the item and paid it. Contacted ebay and paypal doesnt seem like they can do anything since short paid was paid by buyer. Best way is dont pay it and contact seller then just refund/buyer protection seller will be forced to pay for return shipping. But since I paid the shortage seem like all can do is ask for reimburse and if no response file claim in which seller has to except return for FULL refund/include return shipping label generated by ebay. I still lose out on +$4 this way. Its just+ $4 but its misleading and bad for ebay. I dont think any power sellers would do this but individuals would maybe on purpose. Seems like no buyer protection, ebay should require postage paid by credit card any shortage gets auto deducted. I experienced this with Fedex (selling in forum/not ebay) shipped to Canada which I didnt know about customs fee was auto deducted couple days after package was delievered. 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply