cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller refuses to refund me for insufficient postage. What are my options?

Hi there! As the title suggests, I purchased an item and USPS held the package at my post office because there was insufficient postage. When I talked to the clerk behind the counter, he told me the reason the package was held is because the shipper used the wrong type of shipping label... the seller put a label on the box for a flat rate envelope (says flat rate envelope clear as day on the label), and the item was shipped in a box.

I paid the $11.75 for insufficient postage, and the clerk gave me a receipt proving that I paid the insufficient postage. On the receipt, it shows that I picked it up with the tracking number clearly visible, and directly below the tracking number it says "Postage Due Invoice Type: Short Paid/Other Postage Due" and shows the $11.75. The tracking doesn't show insufficient postage, but it does show that it was delivered at the time and date of the USPS receipt that shows there was insufficient postage.

I immediately sent the seller a message saying that I would like a partial refund for the insufficient postage along with a picture of the receipt indicating the insufficient postage, and the box with his address, my address, and the tracking number. The seller sent me this the next morning:

"It’s probably because the original shipping payment was for the weight of one box not two. Total weight was 7 lbs. I cannot reimburse the cost to ship the tapes. The retail cost of the tapes is over $100."

Is there anything I can do to recoup the $11.75? Or should I have not paid to release the package? It's not a lot of money but it still feels like I got scammed to an extent.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

You payed the added postage, and got your item. Any problems with the item??

Not much you can do. You might be able to report the seller,

and you sure can leave a negative feedback.......

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@cjmspartans   Here is what SHOULD have happened.  Some comments:

1. THAT issue should have been stopped dead in its tracks at the Sellers local Post office and the Seller would have had to either cover that tape up or use a different shipping service.

2. USPS should have entered the Seller's package in their APV program which would have charged the Seller the extra postage ... of course that takes a little while to process AND the Seller still may be charged. 

3. It is possible that USPS will charge the Seller in a few weeks via their APV program PLUS they got you to pay too.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

No, the item itself is as described. No problems there -- just the insufficient postage that I wound up paying.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I completely agree, USPS should have caught this at the origin instead of the destination post office. Unfortunately I impulsively paid it since it wasn't that much money but initially expected eBay to help me in this kind of situation... after some reading, it definitely seems more murky and I shouldn't have paid the postage.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@cjmspartans wrote:

I completely agree, USPS should have caught this at the origin instead of the destination post office. Unfortunately I impulsively paid it since it wasn't that much money but initially expected eBay to help me in this kind of situation... after some reading, it definitely seems more murky and I shouldn't have paid the postage.

"and directly below the tracking number it says "Postage Due Invoice Type: Short Paid/Other Postage Due" and shows the $11.75."

Because of this you might have been able to refuse order and got your money back:

I say might due to some weird tracking things keep changing lately... Like some one removing em...

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Ridiculous as this may sound, my local PO clerks have been instructed, to accept packages, with insufficient postage, send them on, and the sender will be charged by the APV program.  Must not have caught this one.

I don't know if there is anything eBay can do to help you, but they should.

The seller definitely owes you $11.75 and shouldn't be quibbling about it.

If the seller doesn't reimburse you, a Negative feedback is in order.  However, if you continue to communicate with the seller, do NOT threaten to leave Negative feedback, or they will be able to get it removed.  If you do leave Negative feedbacks, just state the facts, no attack on the seller.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@cjmspartans   Here is what SHOULD have happened.  Some comments:

1. THAT issue should have been stopped dead in its tracks at the Sellers local Post office and the Seller would have had to either cover that tape up or use a different shipping service.

2. USPS should have entered the Seller's package in their APV program which would have charged the Seller the extra postage ... of course that takes a little while to process AND the Seller still may be charged. 

3. It is possible that USPS will charge the Seller in a few weeks via their APV program PLUS they got you to pay too.

The PO collecting a "postage due" is supposed to check to see if the APV program has already detected the short payment before marking it "postage due", and collecting.   Again, "supposed to".

As another posted, it is my understanding that it is "scan, and on the way it goes" without a second thought to be given, or time expended to correct anything.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@cjmspartans wrote:

No, the item itself is as described. No problems there -- just the insufficient postage that I wound up paying.

Seems that somewhere on these boards that "postage due" constitutes "not as described".

Also seems that it was confirmed by a "blue".

Would take some digging to find that.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@cjmspartans wrote:

Seems that somewhere on these boards that "postage due" constitutes "not as described".

I don't believe that's true on eBay, but it definitely is on PayPal.

If you paid with PayPal, you can open a "not as described" complaint, and one of the reasons offered for selection is insufficient postage.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

I immediately sent the seller a message saying that I would like a partial refund for the insufficient postage along with a picture of the receipt indicating the insufficient postage, and the box with his address, my address, and the tracking number. The seller sent me this the next morning:

"It’s probably because the original shipping payment was for the weight of one box not two. Total weight was 7 lbs. I cannot reimburse the cost to ship the tapes. The retail cost of the tapes is over $100."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure where the seller's head is at with that reply.

There was never a "weighted box" label done, so matters not if 1 box, or 2 on the shipping payment.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@cjmspartans wrote:

I don't believe that's true on eBay, but it definitely is on PayPal.

If you paid with PayPal, you can open a "not as described" complaint, and one of the reasons offered for selection is insufficient postage.

I'll look into this! I sent the seller another message asking him to reconsider because as a buyer, it's not my fault that they used a flat rate envelope label on a box. If the seller is still resistant, I'll look into getting it refunded through PayPal. Thank you!

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

"Seems that somewhere on these boards that 'postage due' constitutes 'not as described.'

I totally agree -- each purchase includes not only the initial item ordered, but the purchase price of the shipping charges as well.

The OP was originally charged a posted shipping price by the seller; but the seller shipped the item with insufficient postage, causing the OP to shell out an additional $11.75 to pay for the seller's "error."  When questioned, the seller provided some obscure reasoning that defies credibility.

The OP should open up an "Item Not As Described" case against the seller, since the shipping charges quoted by the seller were not enough to ship the package, causing a loss by the buyer.

Never ignore the "whole" purchase -- item plus shipping charges.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

"Seems that somewhere on these boards that 'postage due' constitutes 'not as described.'

I totally agree -- each purchase includes not only the initial item ordered, but the purchase price of the shipping charges as well.

The OP was originally charged a posted shipping price by the seller; but the seller shipped the item with insufficient postage, causing the OP to shell out an additional $11.75 to pay for the seller's "error."  When questioned, the seller provided some obscure reasoning that defies credibility.

The OP should open up an "Item Not As Described" case against the seller, since the shipping charges quoted by the seller were not enough to ship the package, causing a loss by the buyer.

Never ignore the "whole" purchase -- item plus shipping charges.

Do you, or anyone else reading know if this is something that eBay has ever spoken on? I do 100% agree that the item technically isn't as described but eBay's buyer protection makes no mention of a situation like this. All they say is that I'm covered if I reject the package due to the insufficient postage.

I wish someone from eBay could chime in on how this works for not only myself, but other people in the future who are in a similar predicament. Knowing that PayPal can help me is good, but I do wish that eBay would also take action to help prevent this kind of unethical behavior from sellers.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

You should've asked the PO to hold the item while you contacted the seller and asked for them to pay for the postage due. If they refused to pay it then you could've refused delivery and gotten all your money back. 

If you paid with PayPal go to paypal.com/disputes/ and file there for a partial refund for overdue postage.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply