cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller gives me bogus address in return case

I recently attempted to return an item damaged due to improper packing. I used a prepaid return label from ebay, and the item was picked up by the post office. Ebay registered the item in their system as shipped. However, a week after I shipped it, it returned to my doorstep with an insufficient address label on it. After checking google maps, I found that the adress, street name, city, and zip code, while close, did not match. The seller was also not very helpful in the return case, as he lied to ebay about the broken parts on the item and his packing methods. Fortunately, ebay ruled in my favor. What should I do?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Seller gives me bogus address in return case

@connopower6 Did eBay refund you? If so....you don’t have to do anything. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

No, they did not. They agreed to refund me once the seller recieved the item.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@connopower6 Call customer service. Ask them to issue your refund. You did your part & shipped the item back using ebays label. Customer service needs to follow policy and issue your refund now. Good luck!

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

"What should I do?"

Sit down and enjoy a cool beverage.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

You should be just fine.  Just do as Jen suggested and your refund should come shortly.  Please let us know how it turns out for you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@connopower6 wrote:

What should I do?

Nothing.

If ebay "ruled" in your favor the process is over for you.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@connopower6 wrote:

What should I do?

Nothing.

If ebay "ruled" in your favor the process is over for you.

No it isn’t. The ruled in his favor before the item was returned. He hasn’t refunded him yet and he needs to contact customer service because the package was not delivered to the seller. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

No it isn’t. The ruled in his favor before the item was returned. He hasn’t refunded him yet and he needs to contact customer service because the package was not delivered to the seller. 

We must have different definitions of what "ruled" means.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

It doesn't really matter if your definition is different than anyone elses.  It isn't important at all to the problem the OP has.  The OPs problem is that they tried to return the item, but the return label they received from Ebay and/or the seller had an incorrect address on it for the seller.  So the OP got the package back.

So the OP has a bit of a pickle going on.  They can't get their refund until the item is received by the seller.  So calling Ebay is the right thing for the OP to do.  And the OP should do that sooner rather than later.  If too much time passes, the seller may ask Ebay to close the case for not returning the item.  

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

It doesn't really matter if your definition is different than anyone elses.  It isn't important at all to the problem the OP has.  The OPs problem is that they tried to return the item, but the return label they received from Ebay and/or the seller had an incorrect address on it for the seller.  So the OP got the package back.

So the OP has a bit of a pickle going on.  They can't get their refund until the item is received by the seller.  So calling Ebay is the right thing for the OP to do.  And the OP should do that sooner rather than later.  If too much time passes, the seller may ask Ebay to close the case for not returning the item.  

If ebay has ruled, that means ebay already decided the case and the OP is simply waiting for paypal or whoever to process the return. ebay uses real specific language.

If the word "ruled" isn't being used properly and it is just out there as a nebulous word of acknowledgement... then yes, they will have to call.

...but if the OP starts laying down words that have very specific meanings within the context of ebay policy in a general way to an overseas CSR...this thread is gonna have another 10 pages and require 4-5 more calls.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

If ebay has ruled, that means ebay already decided the case and the OP is simply waiting for paypal or whoever to process the return. ebay uses real specific language.

If the word "ruled" isn't being used properly and it is just out there as a nebulous word of acknowledgement... then yes, they will have to call.

...but if the OP starts laying down words that have very specific meanings within the context of ebay policy in a general way to an overseas CSR...this thread is gonna have another 10 pages and require 4-5 more calls.

Setting asside the word "ruled", the OP has an opened claim that Ebay issued them a return label, the buyer returned the item, it bounced back due to a bad address for the return, Ebay informed the OP that the refund can't happen until the item is returned to the seller.  So the OP is in a bit of a pickle.  The only way for the OP to resolve this mess is to call Ebay and get some help.  

Unfortunately sometimes that takes multiple calls to get to a CSR that actually is trained and knows what to do.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

The word ruled is being used properly by the OP. They filed a SNAD and it was ruled in their favor. Sounds like the seller fought the SNAD and lost. The OP was then told to return the item. They are not waiting for the refund to be processed. It won’t be processed until the tracking shows delivery to THE SELLER. Since it was returned to the OP, he has to call customer service and have a HUMAN manually issue the refund since the automated system cannot comprehend that the seller gave a bad address and the item was returned to the OP

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Unfortunately sometimes that takes multiple calls to get to a CSR that actually is trained and knows what to do.

Now, imagine that call with an overseas CSR and a buyer that can't use the right words to describe what happened?

One person speaking bad English the other subsituting words at random.

That's a Monty Python sketch.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Now, imagine that call with an overseas CSR and a buyer that can't use the right words to describe what happened?

One person speaking bad English the other subsituting words at random.

That's a Monty Python sketch.

OK and your point is what exactly?  

If a seller can't explain the problem to the CSR, then it would not matter if it was an overseas CSR or a US based one!!!  If you can't communicate the problem accurately, then there is a huge problem for the seller.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply