cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Respnsibility When USPS Fails

I sold an item in good faith.  The responsibility of delivery, of which an Ebay seller hasn’t any control, went to the USPS.  It was not delivered as expected and the buyer, before contacting me, opened a case against me because of the USPS.  I asked the buyer to contact the post office and/or speak with her delivery person.  She did NOTHING.  I called the post office and was on hold for two hours and 15 minutes before hanging up.  The package was mailed locally on December 7 and was delivered to the USPS facility in Knoxville, TN (same city as the buyer) and apparently has been in that facility since.  I spoke with a supervisor at the post office where the package was left for delivery and explained the situation.  First, she said Ebay should NEVER be issuing refunds at this time.  People are not traveling for the holidays and instead are mailing gifts in numbers never seen before.  The mail is being held up at large distributions centers like the one in Knoxville.  She also said Ebay should be well aware of the situation before dumping the responsibility on the seller.  If the buyer had taken any action to contact her local post office she would be aware of the situation that she is not the only person who did not get a package and attempt to be just a little more understanding.  It isn’t like I deliberately tried to cheat her out of a purchase.  My question is, why is the seller held totally responsibility for the USPS deficiency?  Under the circumstances if Ebay takes my money out of my account to pay an irresponsible buyer, perhaps Ebay should reimburse me for selling on their site.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Seller Respnsibility When USPS Fails

"First, she said Ebay should NEVER be issuing refunds at this time. "

USPS employees have no say in what eBay's policies are...

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

@greatlakestate 

Right, or wrong, it is eBay policy, by the MBG , that the buyer gets what they paid for, or they get their money back.

Right, or wrong eBay holds the seller responsibly for the delivery service chosen by the seller.

If you refund the buyer without eBay's force you will be refunded the FVF.  If you take no action, you will not get the FVF, but you will get a defect for "unresolved by seller".

Some buyers will repay for a delivered item. Some will look at it as a gift for being late.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Ebay has added some limited protections for sellers, which extends the time frame, but ultimately you, the seller, are responsible.  I just issued a refund for one---this year is especially bad as most everyone knows.

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Lost me at:

"The responsibility of delivery, of which an Ebay seller hasn’t any control, went to the USPS."

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

What to do is respond to the case with a tracking number.  eBay won’t close the case for 10 days since last movement, which is the 17th or a few days after it opens.

If you want the buyer to wait, you can call USPS and place a package research case on it in theory extending your open case 10 more days, and you can respond with a tracking number..

At this point the buyer is likely to be trouble anyway.   What I would do is a package intercept and wait a few days for it to be intercepted.   When the tracking shows intercepted, refund.   Otherwise, refund right before eBay does on your behalf...   

But either way open a research case or an Intercept.   If it does not show successfully intercepted, just provide the tracking number to give it a few days before eBay escalates.   Know a research case will take two to four hours on the phone.    

If this is a low value item not worth the cost or hassle, provide the tracking to give it a couple more days before you have to refund if it doesn’t shake loose.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Yeah I have done that with USPS and they are closing cases and the item is still not delivered or moved.. I am sure they are overwhelmed with cases being opened too. I have a return that has been sitting in Texas for almost a month now despite a case opened then closed and now I just reopened it. I had already  refunded the Buyer. No need to make them wait for a refund when they already sent it back.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

The package was Priority mailed and the responsibility is actually with USPS.  A claim can be filed with them for reimbursement.   It is not necessary for the seller to pay for the lose.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

I think it was very honest of the USPS employee to accept responsibility for the delay and understand USPS will respond to a claim when an insured Priority mailed package is perhaps lost in transit.

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

USPS insures packages for the buyer to file a claim with them if there is a problem.  Obviously, they accept responsibility when they accept a package in transit.

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Thank you.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

I am the ecommerce manager for a auto dealership.
I deal with eBay, Amazon on a daily basis. 

We have had the same issue. 
I called eBay and they told me no action will be taken as long as there is tracking with in ten days. 

In other words, if the item was last tracked on the first, no action will be taken until the the tracking shows no movement through the 10th. 

After the 10th, the case must be resolved. 

The way I have been handling is if the package has not been delivered 3 days past when it was originally scheduled, I contact the USPS and file a lost package claim.

This automatically initiates an investigation. 

I also contact the buyer and let them know I have done this, give them the Case # and update them.

The Customer can file as well, but as the seller paid for the shipping, they need to file the claim. 

I also copy and paste the warning each carrier has on their websites stating deliveries may be delayed due to covid.

Rest assured eBay is very well aware of the situation and as like the rest of us, trying to work through it. 

Some buyers on the other hand, seem to have been under a rock the last year. 

I hope this helps, and I hope you all have a Happy Holidays.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

This is awful.  I have 22 packages that are completely stuck since December 9th.  I brought them to the post office, waited in line for 1 hour to mail them , got a receipt and they still have not moved.  OMG.  I decided to sell my jewelry to pay for expenses and now I have lost the jewelry and the money.  

What should I do?

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

Where did ya get lost ?

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

How many have filed cases?

Message 15 of 39
latest reply