cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns

The question of who pays for a return should be not automatic, especially if in your listing you state that you do not take returs. Thus, the eBay buyer should b under the warning of "buyer be ware." Now, I take a hit on my selling status by not auomatically excepting returns, then I take another hit, buy eBay automatically siding for the buyer and making me pay for the return, oh and then the third hit, now i am loosing money as I paid for the shipping in the front end by offering free shipping. This needs to change. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Returns

I've just had a return request simply because it 'doesn't fit' even though the exact size is in the title! So frustrating the time and effort and when I look at how many views there's been, I wonder if eBay is worth it now!

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

It's a buyers world with eBay. Just say "not as described" and you are FORCED to take it back and pay shipping and return all original money and shipping price.  It doesn't matter if buyer doesn't read description.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@couldabeenworsewrote:

it is PayPal’s policy.

No, the Money Back Guarantee is eBay policy.

As PayPal is a third-party service, it should not trump an eBay allowed policy.

"Trumps" has always been a poor way of expressing it.  Seller, eBay, PayPal and credit card companies all have their own policies, which are totally independent of one another.  So the seller has 4 different pinochle games going on with each transaction, and if he loses any one he's out the money.

Additionally, just because I chose PayPal, doesn’t mean that I chose or allowed to have the money back guarantee on my listing. PayPal made that choice for me.

That's like saying you bought the car but didn't choose to have airbags in it.  That's the way they come, so the only way to skip the airbags is to skip the car.

I tend to agree that the term from a card game might not be the choicest of terms to use.  Perhaps "Takes residence" would be a better one.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

This seller 

does not live up to there word. They promised me that I would get a refund on my shipping but has lied and stated that the US Postal services list the cell phone cover. My prodict was sent back in March and as of  April 13, 2018 I still have not received my refund. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

I agree that eBay needs to correct the return policy.  Does eBay make more money from buyers?  If there were no sellers, there would be nothing to sell, thus, there would be no buyers.  eBay should support its sellers.  I don't understand the idea of allowing buyers this "free rent" of our items!  

As the policy works, a buyer can purchase an item, use it for a month, say it was broken, and get a full refund and the seller incurs an expense of shipping!  So wrong and unfair from a company that touts "we try to be fair".  Pay attention to the time frame on the following story: 

On March 12th, I had a buyer inquire about a vintage slide viewer that I had for sale.  Specifically, she stated "does the lightbulb work? I would like to use it for a public exhibition...".  Since I was out of town, I could not respond.  When I returned I forgot to respond. 

On March 27, the same buyer bought and paid for the item.  So, I immediately photographed the working light on the slide viewer and messaged the photos to her via eBay messaging to ensure her that the light did in fact work and as a courtesy to her and protection to me.....Ha!  I then packed it up in bubble wrap and labeled it "Fragile" and she received it by the 29th.  

On April 2nd, she sent me an eBay message stating that the light did not work even though it was "packaged beautifully".  I told her it worked when I sent it just two days prior to her receiving it.  I made some suggestions and told her that time that she was welcomed to return it.  She did not and responded "I'll try again and let you know."  I did not hear from her again until.......

On April 24th, (yes almost a month after her purchase) she stated that it still did not work and she would like to return it and opened a return request.  I called eBay and explained everything and they said try to resolve it with your buyer first. 

Today on April 25th, I responded to her stating the dates and points I have stated above and then stating "At this time, I am not willing to accept a return as I question why you didn't return it on April 2nd when you initally claimed it was not working.  I feel as if you might  be taking advantage of me and the return policy of eBay.  By the way, how was you public exhibition?  Might I ask what the date was?"

In the meantime, I took it upon myself to google her name, city, and exhibition.  Voila! There it was a public exhibition on facebook with her name on it.  The dates of the exhibition were April 10th (8 days after she claimed it was broken and neglected to return it) to April 18 (6 days prior to her return request).   

At 2:12, I sent my return request reply explaining all of this to eBay and before I can respond to her with a photo of the exhibit page, eBay had already at 2:15 (in 3 minutes) ruled in her favor, held my money in PayPal, and closed the case!  Wow!  I'm sure they didn't even bother to read my response.  I appealed immediately and included the photo of the exhibit and requested that they explain the reasoning behind their decision.  I seriously cannot see any way they could "fair"ly rule in her favor.  

This is not the first time I have had this problem with eBay, but I am hoping it will be the last.  I work hard to provide good customer service through eBay, and I think eBay should also.  I expect it. 

As a follow up, I was wondering if anyone was using Amazon.com or any of the other venues, what are their fees compared to eBay, how difficult is it to get started, what are your likes and dislikes.  I do not want this frustration anymore .  It gave me a headache!   I deserve better!

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@eugene123127 wrote:

I agree that eBay needs to correct the return policy.  Does eBay make more money from buyers?  If there were no sellers, there would be nothing to sell, thus, there would be no buyers.  eBay should support its sellers.  I don't understand the idea of allowing buyers this "free rent" of our items!  

As the policy works, a buyer can purchase an item, use it for a month, say it was broken, and get a full refund and the seller incurs an expense of shipping!  So wrong and unfair from a company that touts "we try to be fair".  Pay attention to the time frame on the following story: 

On March 12th, I had a buyer inquire about a vintage slide viewer that I had for sale.  Specifically, she stated "does the lightbulb work? I would like to use it for a public exhibition...".  Since I was out of town, I could not respond.  When I returned I forgot to respond. 

On March 27, the same buyer bought and paid for the item.  So, I immediately photographed the working light on the slide viewer and messaged the photos to her via eBay messaging to ensure her that the light did in fact work and as a courtesy to her and protection to me.....Ha!  I then packed it up in bubble wrap and labeled it "Fragile" and she received it by the 29th.  

On April 2nd, she sent me an eBay message stating that the light did not work even though it was "packaged beautifully".  I told her it worked when I sent it just two days prior to her receiving it.  I made some suggestions and told her that time that she was welcomed to return it.  She did not and responded "I'll try again and let you know."  I did not hear from her again until.......

On April 24th, (yes almost a month after her purchase) she stated that it still did not work and she would like to return it and opened a return request.  I called eBay and explained everything and they said try to resolve it with your buyer first. 

Today on April 25th, I responded to her stating the dates and points I have stated above and then stating "At this time, I am not willing to accept a return as I question why you didn't return it on April 2nd when you initally claimed it was not working.  I feel as if you might  be taking advantage of me and the return policy of eBay.  By the way, how was you public exhibition?  Might I ask what the date was?"

In the meantime, I took it upon myself to google her name, city, and exhibition.  Voila! There it was a public exhibition on facebook with her name on it.  The dates of the exhibition were April 10th (8 days after she claimed it was broken and neglected to return it) to April 18 (6 days prior to her return request).   

At 2:12, I sent my return request reply explaining all of this to eBay and before I can respond to her with a photo of the exhibit page, eBay had already at 2:15 (in 3 minutes) ruled in her favor, held my money in PayPal, and closed the case!  Wow!  I'm sure they didn't even bother to read my response.  I appealed immediately and included the photo of the exhibit and requested that they explain the reasoning behind their decision.  I seriously cannot see any way they could "fair"ly rule in her favor.  

This is not the first time I have had this problem with eBay, but I am hoping it will be the last.  I work hard to provide good customer service through eBay, and I think eBay should also.  I expect it. 

As a follow up, I was wondering if anyone was using Amazon.com or any of the other venues, what are their fees compared to eBay, how difficult is it to get started, what are your likes and dislikes.  I do not want this frustration anymore .  It gave me a headache!   I deserve better!

The buyer has 30 days from the date of delivery to request a return so you had no valid reason to deny the return. You should have just accepted the return, you had no chance at winning this. Furthermore the buyer has 180 days to file with PayPal. 

No one is going to talk about other venues and how to sell on them; it’s against the community guidelines. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Whats an INAD/SNAD?
Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Item Not As Described

Significantly Not As Described 

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

I would like to say, we have been selling on eBay for years now and eBay has no intentions of helping the sellers that made it what it is. My latest problem since the discount decrease. 

Return policy????????

What are we as sellers allowed for a return policy? Why are we limited to only being able to select Allow returns or not allow returns?

If we select allow returns we all know that we are provided a box to edit OUR return policy correct?

However my latest problem eBay has told me that the ONLY policy when we select returns accepted is THEIR policy. So then why give US the SELLERS a box that we can write OUR return policy in?

They are giving us the illusion that we have rights as sellers when in fact they force their policies on us. 

I recently sold an item it was a Thermal printer Clearly stated in MY return policy box that I was provided to edit, that I offer 30 day returns when the item was not not as described or damaged or broken.

After the Buyer received the item they opened a return request stating they changed their mind, (which when I saw this I noticed that the return address was wrong I had moved a year ago and did change my address on account from within the app did not know there was a second place I had to change the address) I immediately replied to the buyer do not return this item because 2 reasons 1. I do not allow returns for this reason and 2 the return address was wrong, please wait until I talk to eBay.

I then immediately called eBay and told themthe problems and they assured me that do not worry if the item does not show up or what ever happens next they will resolve it for me.  And they said they would notify the buyer of the address and how & where to change it.

Now the other day I received a message that the item has been received and they pulled thefunds from my PayPal in fact the item was never delivered to me but the old address I am assuming, they have not given me tracking info either. 

I tried to appeal the case and they said under returns the buyer can return items foir whatever reason they want.

Now I have no money and no item or proof of where it is

So why can't we as sellers have our own return policy? 

Its either the dictator's policy or make us look like jerks by not allowing respectable sellers offer a different return policy that works with our selling options.

Its like buying something from a garage sale then going back 20 days later for any reason they want and the block bully saying shut up and give them their money back.

In my opinion we should have a class act about being provided a place to write a return policy but not being allowed to enforce it, it also gives buyers a false sense of what is correct, most importantly the sellers. Who's thinking the same?

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I would like to say, we have been selling on eBay for years now and eBay has no intentions of helping the sellers that made it what it is. My latest problem since the discount decrease. 

Return policy????????

What are we as sellers allowed for a return policy? Why are we limited to only being able to select Allow returns or not allow returns?

If we select allow returns we all know that we are provided a box to edit OUR return policy correct?

However my latest problem eBay has told me that the ONLY policy when we select returns accepted is THEIR policy. So then why give US the SELLERS a box that we can write OUR return policy in?

They are giving us the illusion that we have rights as sellers when in fact they force their policies on us. 

I recently sold an item it was a Thermal printer Clearly stated in MY return policy box that I was provided to edit, that I offer 30 day returns when the item was not not as described or damaged or broken.

After the Buyer received the item they opened a return request stating they changed their mind, (which when I saw this I noticed that the return address was wrong I had moved a year ago and did change my address on account from within the app did not know there was a second place I had to change the address) I immediately replied to the buyer do not return this item because 2 reasons 1. I do not allow returns for this reason and 2 the return address was wrong, please wait until I talk to eBay.

I then immediately called eBay and told themthe problems and they assured me that do not worry if the item does not show up or what ever happens next they will resolve it for me.  And they said they would notify the buyer of the address and how & where to change it.

Now the other day I received a message that the item has been received and they pulled thefunds from my PayPal in fact the item was never delivered to me but the old address I am assuming, they have not given me tracking info either. 

I tried to appeal the case and they said under returns the buyer can return items foir whatever reason they want.

Now I have no money and no item or proof of where it is

So why can't we as sellers have our own return policy? 

Its either the dictator's policy or make us look like jerks by not allowing respectable sellers offer a different return policy that works with our selling options.

Its like buying something from a garage sale then going back 20 days later for any reason they want and the block bully saying shut up and give them their money back.

In my opinion we should have a class act about being provided a place to write a return policy but not being allowed to enforce it, it also gives buyers a false sense of what is correct, most importantly the sellers. Who's thinking the same?

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

She will win thst case. Youre only speculating she used it at her exhibition, she msy have borrowed another one. I think that speculation is correct but that is irrelevant.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

That's not true in every case--- a "No returns" policy can prevail if the seller accurately describes and photographs the item in complete detail. Ebay will agree if the item is clearly and accurately presented.  

Be lazy and do a sloppy job, and yes, you are definitely heading for trouble. And that should teach you to either improve your game or go somewhere else.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

to return the product is higher than the product I pay 381 and return it cost over 500 dollars

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Ebay could care less about screwing the seller during the return process: in my case they refund the buyer, from my paypal account, no questions asked about condition, before I even get the item returned to see the damage issue. This **bleep** treatment is enough to cause to me stop using ebay, and they could care less about me and the other sellers.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

If the return policy does not change and the attitude that the seller should take all the hits and suffer all the lose then I give eBay maybe a year of life.
Message 30 of 32
latest reply