cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having problems today, May 3rd with ebay's shipping calculator not working properly?

I just sold a bunch of auctions and some of them came out properly calculated but there was 5 listings which I had set on calculate shipping for first class mail and 4 of these buyers only got charged  only $1.25 for shipping and 1 of them was charged $1.30.   I double checked each auction and I didn't have any of them listed as a flat rate shipping cost of $1.25 or $1.30.  Anyone else ever have this problem and what did they do to correct it?  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Anyone else having problems today, May 3rd with ebay's shipping calculator not working properly?

The shipping calculator set up has a menu for "Service" and a menu for "Package type."  If the menu for 'Package type" is set to "letter" or "Large envelope" (AKA flat) then that's what the buyer will be charged for, even if you select "First Class package under the menu for "Service."

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi Nobody's -perfect-  I have those listings set up as follows for the shipping details:  Calculated: Cost varies by buyer location-  USPS First Class Package or USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box with a handling cost of 0 ~~ Package Type: Large Envelope ~~ Weight: 3 Oz.  My customer was charged $1.30 on shipping and yet when I did the shipping label I was charged $2.70.   I've been selling for many many years and have never had this happen to any of my listings.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@hsmith2m wrote: ... ~~ Package Type: Large Envelope ~~ Weight: 3 Oz.  My customer was charged $1.30 on shipping ...  

Your buyer was charged correctly, since you had the listing set up to charge for a "Large envelope."

eBay doesn't print labels for letters or flats (AKA large envelope) so you were offered a label for a package.

If you want buyers to pay for package postage, then you need to correct your choice in the "Package type" menu.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@hsmith2m wrote:

Hi Nobody's -perfect-  I have those listings set up as follows for the shipping details:  Calculated: Cost varies by buyer location-  USPS First Class Package or USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box with a handling cost of 0 ~~ Package Type: Large Envelope ~~ Weight: 3 Oz.  My customer was charged $1.30 on shipping and yet when I did the shipping label I was charged $2.70.   I've been selling for many many years and have never had this happen to any of my listings.  

Unfortunately eBay doesn't make it clear that LARGE ENVELOPE is an envelope with either stamps or a metered label with NO TRACKING.  AND Ebay doesn't print a metered label, only tracking labels.  So if you don't know or don't notice eBay changed to Large Envelope for not apparent reason (it happens) the seller ends up paying the difference.  

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yes I have had a problem with this today. The guy has already payed for it, I then checked on the Australia post website and the international post that I selected on ebay (exact same one) will not cover it. I don't know what it is going to cost until I walk into the post office. After all of the excess fees you have to pay, I am not happy about this at all. It's 2019, it should be accurate and correlate. What's also annoying is how vague the whole thing is. I couldn't easily see what I was charging for international shipping or whether it was registered etc. so I didn't know whether I was somewhat protected. I had to contact ebay to confirm this. Someone is going to have to pay the excess.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply