cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning shoes that are too small

Buyer messaged me saying the shoes she purchased were too small. Asked if she could return them. She mentioned my 14 day return policy. 

I told her that would be fine but she would need tp pay return shipping.

I immediately got a message from eBay saying her return had been approved. Her reason to them was: Didn't fit well and smelled strongly of cigarette smoke.

I asked her why in the world would she have said that. We don't smoke and she had only told me that they didn't fit.

She said she had simply "forgotten to mention it." Then she said it could be the material the shoes were made of. This is possible because they are made of Polyurethane. Plus they were almost brand new. I never noticed an odor.

Am I correct in saying she pays return shipping? 

I feel like she added the odor thing to guarantee herself a refund.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@debbyk1952 wrote:

Am I correct in saying she pays return shipping? 

It depends on the main reason she selected for the return.  If the reason is "doesn't fit", then your buyer will be paying for the return shipping ... but, if your buyer selected "doesn't work or defective" or "arrived damaged", then you will be paying for return shipping.

@debbyk1952 wrote:

I feel like she added the odor thing to guarantee herself a refund.

The buyer gets a refund no matter what.  This is how eBay works these days.  Even if the buyer returns the shoes torn up or returns a roll of toilet paper, the buyer is guaranteed a refund.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

A buyer can buy a black shirt and say there is too much black. A buyer can buy a chessboard and say there are too many squares, a buyer can buy a jacket and say the jacket zips too quickly, a buyer can buy a pair of sneakers and say the soles are rubber, a buyer can buy a pillow and say it’s too soft a buyer can buy any item in the world and say the box has a dent in it, the tape doesn’t look pretty, the shipping box is used, the donut has a hole in it. And all these are sufficient for not as described. Simply mentioning any inherent reality about an item is grounds for not being as described. “I wasn’t expecting that green sweater to be green, your advertisement says it’s green. What you sent me was very green.” SNAD

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

She actually had put the two reasons. Doesn't fit........and smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. 

But when she sent me the message she only said they didn't fit. 

She's the one that mentioned the smell could be what they are made of. 

I would never try to return something that didn't fit. I figure that would be my problem for ordering online. 

I just feel she added they had an odor to make sure she could get a refund.

I was accepting the return to be nice. 

Ebay makes rules but they don't follow them.

It makes it hard to know what to do when you do run into problems.

I hope they don't expect me to pay the shipping. Especially for something you can't prove like and odor. 

New polyurethane can have a smell but a seller can't help that.

Anyway.....thanks for your response.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@debbyk1952 wrote:

She actually had put the two reasons. Doesn't fit........and smelled strongly of cigarette smoke.

Use a marker and black out that line with 2 reasons. Now, what does the line above that say?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

The case has a ebay return reason(only one)listed.What is it?

An accepted return request guarantees she gets a refund but if she used not as described she gets the return shipping for free

you accepted the return because if you have a 14 return policy you must accept all returns for any reason.The reason only determines who pays return shipping

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

What was the "reason for return" ?

"Comments" dont matter in determining who will pay return shipping
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I would figure that she is using the smoke smell issue to turn the remorse return into a SNAD so that you will be required to pay the return shipping.  If I'm correct, send her the return label and add her to your BBL.  Nothing else that you can do.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Here's an example @debbyk1952 with

Comments: They are about 1 size too small

What does it say on the line above that for Reason: in your case? If  it is

Reason: Doesn't fit

then your buyer, not you, must pay for return shipping.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

This return has been approved automatically, per eBay's Return policy.

We've asked the buyer to ship the item back by Jan 29. Wait until you get the item back before issuing a refund.You should wait until you get the item back before you refund the buyer. Please ensure that you issue the refund within 2 business days of the item being delivered. If the buyer doesn't send the item back by Jan 29 we may close this return.

Here's what the buyer said

Reason

Doesn't fit

Comments

They didn’t fit well and the cigarette smell from them was very strong.

This is what I got from eBay. Her reason was Doesn't fit. Her comment was about the cigarette smell.
When I messaged her and asked why she said that she said perhaps it is what the shoes are made of and she had just forgotten to mention it to me. 
I always assumed it was better to have a return policy. I figure eBay forces sellers to accept returns anyway. 
It just makes me mad that I had no problem taking the return for "Doesn't fit"  I feel that she threw in the smell as a help to guarantee her a refund. I just noticed she has a (4) feedback. Go figure!
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

She choose doesn’t fit though so it’s just a remorse return and she’ll need to pay return shipping 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@debbyk1952 wrote:

I was accepting the return to be nice. 

I don't understand this sentence.  Was the return outside of 14 days from delivery?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply