cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return from Buyer "Item Not As Described"

Got my first return today....buyer requested return authorization for "Item not as described".  Buyer stated that my measurement Armpit to Armpit which was 17" was actually 16.5" and as a result did not fit her.  She provided photos and measurement and it was actually 16.75".  I list all items with "measurements are approximate", so I though this would cover me.  I called Ebay team support and the rep stated that using the word "approximate" is not allowed.  I am not a tailor or dressmaker and some clothing items are hard to measure so I am careful and do my best to provide the customer with accurate measurements.  Why should I have to pay return shipping for this customer over 1/4 inch difference??  Also, the item is stretchy!  Which means it's anyone's call as to the actual acurate measurement.  I feel as though the item was too small for her so she was just looking for a way to be able to return the item and have me pay for it.  I offered the item with free shipping as well, so I'm already out that money.  I don't feel as though I should have to reimburse her the money for this.  1/4 of an inch is not a deal breaker as far as size goes....seriously??  I don't know what to do once I receive the item.  Ebay told me I can open an appeal, but I'm not sure if this will hurt my Top Seller Plus rating that I just earned.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I would accept the return and refund in full upon return and move on.      

Fighting this is a fruitless effort.  You won't win. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would accept the return and refund in full upon return and move on.      

Fighting this is a fruitless effort.  You won't win. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I agree with previous response.  Take the return, eat the difference, and learn from the experience.  You won't win if you try to fight it.  You'll make it back later.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I've lost because of rediculous stuff like this too.  1" in length difference (supposedly) was enough for a return pressured on me.  It sucks, but we all know ebay is in the buyer's court except for a few rare instances.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

You cannot open an appeal after you authorize a return.

You sell used clothing, which is one of the most-often returned items.  In retail clothing sales, the return rate is somewhere around 35% of sales!

You will not make money on every listing you sell.  In fact, you will lose money on an occasional sale.  That is a cost of doing business.

Fairness is not an element of retail sales, and it not a level playing field.  Buyers have the upper hand.

If you do not accept the "not as described" return and arrange for a prepaid return label, the buyer can (and will!) escalate the case to eBay, eBay will rule against you, issue a label from your funds, and leave you with a "case closed without seller resolution".

You don't have a choice - you have to accept a "not as described" return.  eBay does not get into he-said, she-said - the buyer wins the case and you lose.  If the item is not worth you paying return shipping, you can simply issue a refund w/o getting the item back.  Run your business at the least cost to yourself, whatever that might be.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Isold a bowl that I measured 3.75. The buyer measured 4" .She opened a not as described and I won. Ebays reason was that didnt affect the use of the bowl. I guess it depends on the rep and the item? Who Knows???????

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

A one inch difference when it comes to inseam length or sleeve length can actually make a big difference, so sometimes it isn't ridiculous.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I have learned it is better to lose a penny then a dollar. I recommend refunding them. Selling on Ebay is tricky but di what you can to avoid negative feedback.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Doesn't it count as a "Defect rating" in my seller performance though?
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@workingforshoes wrote:
Doesn't it count as a "Defect rating" in my seller performance though?

Only if you try to fight it and lose.  If you accept the refund and provide a label it won't 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

When I put (supposedly) in there, that was a hint it was a false claim.  It was a remorse return.  The buyer was all lovey dovey and left glowing feedback after I accepted the return.  She was nasty before.  That's why it's ridiculous.  I'm petite and when something is just 4" too long like my pants, I have to work with it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply