cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing a packing slip before printing a label

We have a workflow set up where we print the packing slip before printing a label out. Today, I noticed that it appears eBay is no longer affording that option? When we go to the print label page, I am seeing the message:

"We have introduced a new Packing slip tool with new functionalities. You can print your packing slip after generating the label."

Why are they forcing that upon us? Is there a way/place to print the packing slip first?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I have not read thru all of the replies, so my apologies if this has been covered.

When I look at my order that are awaiting shipment, I can click the action button to check all of them and then use the pull down menu to select packing slips, and when it opens, I can uncheck the packing slip button and check the "pick list" button, then click "print" and it's like a mini packing slip for all of my orders with multiples on one sheet of paper, is that what you need? 

I can also just print a full sheet sized packing list prior to purchasing a shipping label, but NOW, immediately after I print a shipping label, if I scroll down, I can also print a full size packing list from that page without having to go back out and do all the clicking to get to a packing slip.  I don't think it's requiring a shipping label first, just added to the shipping label page after purchase as well.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I have not seen that message. I printed mine before as usual. 

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

@atticdiver 

You can still print a packing slip from the Hub Orders page without having to first purchase a shipping label.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord

Find the order and select "print packing slip and more" from the actions drop-down.

order-actions.png

To any seller that does not like the packing slip format because it's too long / too many pages on large orders compared to the apparently retired format:

When you generate a packing slip from the "print packing slip and more" option on the Hub Orders page, there's a small link on the lower left of the pop-up window that says "tell us what you think" which pulls up a form that goes directly to the product developers.

They do read those comments and I suggest submitting your FB about the length of these less compact slips if it's negatively impacting your business.

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Ebay developers continue to make "improvements" that require more and more time to complete a task.  No one there seems to have any Human Factors training. The current Listing page is a fiasco.  I would fail any of students who created such a nightmare.

I use the packing slip to pull the purchased item from my inventory storage. 

How can you obtain a correct shipping weight when you don't have a compete package?

And, yes you can, as usual with Ebay, add multiple steps to circumvent the new approach and print out a packing slip.  But, why is everything with Ebay an uphill battle?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I too hate this new method of printing packing slips! Most of my items (35mm slides, postcards) are shipped by regular stamped first class mail. So now I can't print a packing slip without buying a label that would cost a lot more than a stamp?

I do see a way to print packing slips but that ways uses a lot more paper and is not green.

I guess I will just do without a packing slip....

Ted

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I think this is the absolute worst idea eBay has come up with in a long time!  I always print my packing slip before I print postage so that I can include it in the weight of the package.  Also, when I had to print the package slip after the postage, it was not the same abbreviated packing slip that I used to print right from the label page on just 1/2 a slip of paper to save on the price of paper. It took a whole sheet.  This is not good at all. I used the button to give them feedback on how they could change things to make it better for me. Maybe if a lot of people do this, they will put the button back on the page where we can just have the option to print the packing slip before we print the label.  Who in the world sitting at eBay thought this was a great idea???

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I agree.  Another "Improvement" shoved down our throats that adds extra steps, confusion, frustration.  Additionally, the packing slips now have the tax and total that I don't want on the packing slips, and they take up so much paper that often I can't create two packing slips with one 8 x 11" sheet, which is environmentally wasteful.

I called Ebay 3 times yesterday about this.  I want my packing slips so I can go to the garage and pull my orders.  Additionally, often I want the packing slip because I don't use Ebay shipping and instead ship with a stamp, or with Stamps.com.  Ebay has once again made significant decisions that hurt the seller.  Which genius came up with these changes?  They should be assigned janitor duties!

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I agree with everyone above.  The new system adds complexity, requires more steps that are often not obvious (finding a go-around to print the packing slip first, having to find the link to change shipping service and weight), increases the likelihood of accidentally printing a label that will later have to be cancelled, wastes more paper, and is unfriendly to those that ship with USPS stamps or Stamps.com.  Whatever genius came up with this new system should be reassigned or removed.  Obviously, once again, major decisions were made without consultation with experienced Ebay sellers!

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Additionally, for each of us above that post there's probably 100 sellers, frustrated, that don't know of this board - it's not easy to find.  Is that on purpose?!!

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Yep, yesterday when I woke up I found this new suprise.  What a load of poo poo.  Very little consideration of how sellers actually work and what is efficient.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

To get a less detailed format close to the simplified one, click on "customize" and check the box for "This is a gift".  

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

For the 4th time I've contacted Ebay and gone through the points of how this new "improvement" is stupid.  Each time the reps agree with me and file reports to go to the "genius" department for review.  I suggest others call ... the more complaints the more likelihood to get this disaster fixed.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I'm appalled at this approach. Why in the world would you want to print the postage first?  I have an order on how I do these things.  It is a system that has worked for as long as we had click and ship options.  Maybe I want to print a packing slip and then take my package to the post office and not use click and ship.  This has got to be a way to get more money out of us somehow.  Nobody asked us sellers if it was a good idea?  How come we dont have any options.  Ebays approach to everything "If it is working fine then we need to mess it up and break it"  

This crap should be stopped.  I have been selling for 20 yrs, this is madness.  

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Supposedly they BASED this on FB from sellers who were testing the NEW way of doing it.

They just never asked those of use who use the other way why we did it that way.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Supposedly they BASED this on FB from sellers who were testing the NEW way of doing it.

That's not what I said earlier. I said the new way has been around for a few years and used to be worse, but they made several improvements based on FB from sellers that were using the new format through the orders page (no testing). FB was submitted through the orders page and I also saw FB on this forum at one point that resulted in some changes - think it was related to custom comments section but not 100% sure. @toomuchstuffagain35

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 15 of 26
latest reply