cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay for shipping through eBay or CC

Hi all

Just sold my first item in a long time.  So apparently PayPal put a hold on my funds.  

No worries. 

However when trying to print a shipping label through eBay it goes to PayPal where PayPal declines it.  

I have a CC on file with PP as a backup method but it’s $8 more to print the label via PP as opposed to eBay.  

So how do I print my label through eBay 

thank yiu

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Pay for shipping through eBay or CC

eBay and PayPal charge the same online rates.  If you're being charged more at PayPal there must be something different about your package factors. Check ZIP Codes, package weight and dimensions.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Alternatively you can do what I did when eBay stumbled with the new shipping page - I signed up, for free, at PirateShip and now ship that way.  Use the old PP debit card to pay for shipping and backed up with my regular CC. In some cases the cost is less than eBay labels because they use  USPS Priority Mail Cubic® pricing.  

Just a thought, fwiw.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Not Top Rated Seller eBay Pricing:

• $50 Free insurance.
  • Commercial Rates.

Top Rated Seller eBay Pricing:

• $100 Free insurance.
  • Commercial Rates Less a 3% Discount.

Pirateship Pricing:

• $100 Free insurance.
  • Commercial Rates.
  • Don't need an eBay account but you can import your eBay orders.
  • Cubic pricing for smaller sized Priority Mail packages (this can be cheaper that even eBay's Top Rated Seller rates for certain packages)
  • You should be using this for all non eBay packages and not PayPal.
  • No fees unlike some 3rd party shipping label companies.

Credit Card:

• You should never use your PayPal balance to pay for shipping labels. It should be immediately deposited into your bak account to earn interest.
  • You should always use a credit card with a rewards program. That way you get a 1, 1.5, or 2% discount on your shipping labels in points that can be traded for a account credit.
  • Some credit cards offer a initial signup bonus such as a $200 account credit for spending $500 in 90 days. Have your customers get you that $200 bonus with the shipping labels they buy from you. Temporary add your other business and personal expenses to the card to get the bonus if you don't sell that much. Schedule such signups with plans to buy new equipment such as a camera, computer, a pallet full of shipping tape, etc. I've made an extra $2,000+ doing that over time. 

PayPal:

• Well it looks like PayPal is up to its old tricks again. For the longest time if you had any PayPal balance you were unable to use your credit card to pay for a shipping label. Thus you needed to immediately withdraw your balance in order to use your card. They changed this a little while ago so you could could actually use the card even if you had a balance. The last label I purchased they deducted it from the balance even though a credit card was selected. Never trust PayPal.
  • At least they now auto insert your current balance into the withdrawal form so you need not have to type it. Been requesting that for over a decade. I guess the "obvious" escapes the people running PayPal.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I am unsure why anyone thinks that ebay shipping and paypal shipping charge the same

its just not true for me

7 ounce edelcon  labels are $12.19 with ebay shipping

I get a 14% discount with ebay

the same edelcon label for 7 ounces with paypal ony gets a 3% discount

ebays save me $2 every time I ship to Europe

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You are a top rated seller.  ebay gives an additional discount on postage for certain classes of mail that Paypal does not.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@1tuna wrote:

I am unsure why anyone thinks that ebay shipping and paypal shipping charge the same

its just not true for me... ebays save me $2 every time I ship to Europe

Because you are a Top Rated Seller. TRS get a 3% discount on domestic Priority Mail and pay lower rates for a few international services.   My reply to the OP was based on the information provided: Since he was selling his first item in a long time, he clearly wasn't a Top Rated Seller.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply