cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New shipping prices

Has anyone noticed a sharp increase in USPS cost of shipping a first class package? The price nearly doubled between when I listed the item and when I shipped it. I ended up having to make up the difference and losing money on the transaction

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

New shipping prices

USPS rates changed in January and have not increased since then.  What was the package weight and the two exact prices?  Probably the shipping calculator was accidentally set to figure the price for a First Class flat (AKA Large envelope).

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

USPS rates changed in January and have not increased since then.  What was the package weight and the two exact prices?  Probably the shipping calculator was accidentally set to figure the price for a First Class flat (AKA Large envelope).

Not quite accurate.  The Dimensional Weight Rates change took place in June 2019.  This would have greatly affected any package over 1 cubic foot, no matter the weight.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

But dimensional rates do not affect First Class packages.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

I am sure the OP is talking about the zone pricing for 1st class

not dimensional weight

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

Zoned pricing, which has been in effect since last January, wouldn't account for "The price nearly doubled between when I listed the item and when I shipped it."

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

@francofemme 
I agree with nobodys perfect I show $2.80 on your sold items to ship to me in NJ and on some of your active ones as well.
You need to revise your listing for the table toppers and to see if it is set as Large envelope and change to Package or Thick Envelope & it will solve the problem for calculated First class shipping  

You had 2 sales was it the same buyer & you had to combine ?

Also for First Class if you don't pass along the online discount for shipping  anything over 13oz. up to 15.99 oz  will show to the buyer  as a 1 pound package rate because there is no retail pricing for those weights.
Example your ended bathing suit from NY to me in NJ at first class shows as a $7.70 First class package rate  so I know it is over 13 oz. & showing to me at a  1 lb. Priority mail rate .
For me this is when I either make it a Priority mail or I use the First class &  charge a flat rate same to all buyers to cut down that shipping some  to the buyers 
On anything 13 to 15.99 oz I ship I select a flat rate I am happy with & charge same to all buyers  .

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

@labs118 wrote: ...  for First Class if you don't pass along the online discount for shipping  anything over 13oz. up to 15.99 oz  will show to the buyer  as a 1 pound package rate because there is no retail pricing for those weights. ...  this is when I either make it a Priority mail or I use the First class &  charge a flat rate same to all buyers   ...

Another strategy for packages over 13 ounces is to just list the weight as 13 ounces, since the online price is the same for all packages 12+ to 15.999 ounces.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@labs118 wrote: ...  for First Class if you don't pass along the online discount for shipping  anything over 13oz. up to 15.99 oz  will show to the buyer  as a 1 pound package rate because there is no retail pricing for those weights. ...  this is when I either make it a Priority mail or I use the First class &  charge a flat rate same to all buyers   ...

Another strategy for packages over 13 ounces is to just list the weight as 13 ounces, since the online price is the same for all packages 12+ to 15.999 ounces.

Yes your correct Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

Thanks for the useful feedback. I sell a lot of linens that weigh 12-16 oz, and I've always for years used First Class Package which until this year went up to 16 oz.for under $3.  Now it's up to  13 oz, and even then over $3. But I found out that if you call it FIRST CLASS MAIL (not package) the same weight ships cheaper. No doubt Amazon and Wal-Mart cut really good deals with the USPS but the rest of us pick up the tab.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

The weight limit for First Class packages is 15.999 ounces if you purchase postage online; if you purchase postage at the Post Office counter, the weight limit is 13 ounces.  The 2018 online rates for First Class packages cost from $2.66 to $4.94, depending on weight. The 2019 rates range from $2.66 to $5.53 depending on weight and Zone.

There are 3 categories of First Class mail: letters, flats (AKA Large envelopes), and packages.  Each mailpiece is assigned to only one category, based on factors like weight, dimensions (including thickness), flexibility, etc.  eBay only sells postage for packages, so if your piece is a letter or a flat, you can mail it at the PO or just put on stamps.

First Class flats (AKA Large envelope) must weigh no more than 13 ounces and must be flexible. It's possible to mail fabric and other textiles as flats rather than as packages if the piece meets the USPS definition and criteria.  Not surprisingly, postage for a flat is less than postage for a package of the same weight.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

My apologies in advance for hijaking the op's post, but I was searching for a similar answer.

I listed WS fabric Dinner napkins with 14 oz FC and flat rate envelope options, printed the label sent to me and it was first class. The buyer paid $8 from FL to AZ. The first class label cost for me was $5+ change. 

Did she pay $8 priority or is that just first class retail for zone? 

And do I refund the difference after shipping fees? 

Thanks, it just seemed high for first class...

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

I  think you need to know what are the various shipping rates.  Doesn't the listing show them?  Can you use the eBay shipping calculator?  If your listing had faster rates available and the buyer selected and PAID FOR a faster method, there could be trouble if you ship it for less and it arrives late.

That said, I suspect FCP will travel as fast a Priority.  But you can't always be sure.

If it were me, I might cancel the FCP label and print a Priority label.  Alternatively it would be a good idea to communicate with your buyer and let them know what is happening.  If the two delivery times are similar you could say you selected FCP to save them money and will be issuing a refund for the difference.  Then again, if they need it by a certain time and FCP fails that, you could be on the hook for a SNAD case.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

I use calculated and just print what is sent to me by ebay/paypal.

The package went out as paid for before I realized ths buyer's cost of $8. If ebay sent first class label, that would be the buyer selection? 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

New shipping prices

It isn't clear to me what you did with the listing?  Did you offer faster options? Does you listing default to retail rates or eBay rates?  You can use  the ebay shipping calculator to see what various rates are and that could answer the question.  Have you looked at that?

I can only speculate but it would seem that whatever shipping the buyer selected, is what ended up being the label you printed unless there is an eBay glitch.

But the bottom line is it sounds like some kind of communication to the buyer is in order.  Most would say Whoohoo, I got extra profits.  But if you were the buyer is that the way you would want to be treated?  So if there wasn't a glitch, offer a refund for the difference as that is good customer service.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply