cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx SmartPost doesn't use FedEx anymore?

Did something change?  I have used FedEx Smartpost shipping for many years.  The Ebay-provided label always had both a FedEx bar code and a USPS barcode on it.  FedEx would take the package most of the way, and USPS would take it to the final destination.  Therefore, I always dropped off the package at FedEx.

Now however, FedEx won't accept the package because there is only a single USPS barcode on the label.  I have to take the package to USPS instead, where they tell me USPS takes it all the way themselves.  Why then is the Smartpost option still listed under the FedEx shipping options at Ebay?  And why is Smartpost cheaper than the USPS shipping options if USPS does all the work?  No complaints, just confused.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does make you wonder.. I had a package arrive . was FedEx Smart Post. Tracked USPS all the way to my door.....

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@clutchc wrote:

And why is Smartpost cheaper than the USPS shipping options if USPS does all the work?  No complaints, just confused.

It is possible that you encountered an anomaly where shipping directly through SmartPost (FedEx then USPS) is calculated by FedEx as more expensive than USPS all the way ...

FedEx will not pay the same rates than you or I will pay for a USPS shipment ... we might pay $10 for the shipment, but FedEx's contract with the USPS could cost them only $8.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I suppose it could be that FedEx will be eventually dropping the Smartpost contract they still have with USPS, and don't want the hassle anymore.  So, maybe they just left USPS handle the whole shipping option until the contract expires (with an incentive for going the full distance).  At least that was my hunch.  Seems the staff at both places aren't any wiser than I am about it, tho.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Btw, I forgot to mention...  the ebay tracking number for the Smartpost shipment is also invalid.  USPS provided a totally different valid number.  So I think it is ebay that is screwing this up.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

UPS and FedEx both have been drop shipping to every Post Office for years.  They simply cannot handle their own volume plus it is more cost effective to use the USPS than even themselves! Every Post Office receives from a partial pallet to dozens of pallets of parcels every morning from UPS, etc.  The USPS processes in one day what UPS, FedEx combined process in one year. This has been fact for decades.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

First, why are you shipping using FedEx SmartPost anyway?  That service is the worst of the options eBay allows sellers to select and it has failed me numerous times.  Me thinks any seller who truly cares about their buyers would shy away from that atrocity!

That article notes that FedEx is loosing volume as Amazon develops its own delivery network.  Perhaps Amazon is using non-union independent contractors and thus able to save shipping costs, get items delivered more accurately or get more timely deliveries?  I now see Amazon delivery trucks more frequently in my neighborhood and surrounding area than UPS or FedEx trucks!

So if FedEx is loosing volume & revenues as Amazon leaves, perhaps there is an option for some other BIG online retailer to negotiate a sweet deal for shipping?  eBay execs - are you paying attention?  Since you set up ePacket and USA warehouses for Chinese sellers how about doing something for you USA sellers?  O do you want us all to be drop shipping  through Amazon?   Sigh

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@ Greatmidwestcoin

Yes, we already knew that.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@clutchc wrote:

Btw, I forgot to mention...  the ebay tracking number for the Smartpost shipment is also invalid.  USPS provided a totally different valid number.

So I think it is ebay that is screwing this up.

If you read the two tracking numbers from right to left, you might see the light, like in the Broke and Done song.

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2019/05/06/gettyimages-1131510870-7f984032adc36938488d702b242ba44f9d42367f-s800-c85.jpg

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@clutchc wrote:

Did something change?  I have used FedEx Smartpost shipping for many years.  The Ebay-provided label always had both a FedEx bar code and a USPS barcode on it.  FedEx would take the package most of the way, and USPS would take it to the final destination.  Therefore, I always dropped off the package at FedEx.

Now however, FedEx won't accept the package because there is only a single USPS barcode on the label.  I have to take the package to USPS instead, where they tell me USPS takes it all the way themselves.  Why then is the Smartpost option still listed under the FedEx shipping options at Ebay?  And why is Smartpost cheaper than the USPS shipping options if USPS does all the work?  No complaints, just confused.

Here is a "for real" tracking report on a purchase that was shipped  from Wisconsin via FedEx Smart post August 27.  I suspect it will be  handed over to USPS shortly as it is  in Georgia right now.  The tracking number format  does not look like any USPS tracking # I have ever seen. USPS tracking  has 22  digits - looks like FedEx uses 20.

Can't say where this seller bought their shipping label but  it looks like Fed Ex is  handling the first  leg.

Never shipped anything via FedEx always use USPS

Tracking details
FedEx tracking #74899991286534809244
  • Aug 30, 2019
  • 12:36pm PDT
  • Arrived at FedEx location
  • FEDEX SMARTPOST ELLENWOOD, GA 30294
  • Aug 28, 2019
  • 6:23pm PDT
  • In transit
  • MANCHESTER, TN 37355
  • Aug 28, 2019
  • 2:26am PDT
  • Departed FedEx location
  • FEDEX SMARTPOST NEW BERLIN, WI 53151
  • Aug 27, 2019
  • 9:58pm PDT
  • Arrived at FedEx location
  • FEDEX SMARTPOST NEW BERLIN, WI 53151
  • Aug 26, 2019
  • 3:17pm
"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Fed Exp sees the handwriting on the wall,if it keeps serving AMZN,it will be too dependent on AMZN business and facing a dwindling non AMZN customers .

So it decides to severe AMZN and focus on serving other retailers.

I would not say third party AMZN shippers are better than Fed Exp,some are LYFT,UBER drivers or you and I signing up for local delivery to make a fast buck.

Some of you may have heard of how Uber eat drivers eating your lunch,I mean in the literal sense,they actually sample your food as they drive as the aroma is too tempting.   

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Some of us have different addresses for different carriers, and this sure messes with that.     For home deliveries, UPS and Fedex use my home address.   I specifically order things that will be shipped UPS or FedEx, as most Ebay sellers will not ship to a PO Box.   Now, I have an item that I chose FedEx for, and it is saying that it has been taken to the post office.   UGH!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

fwiw I believe there is a method/technique one can use to get FedEx packages delivered to a Postal box.  Perhaps someone can help me recall its name and the how to since my recall currently fails me.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I had to do that one time. I looked up the physical address of the post office where the PO Box was and used that street address with the buyers name and just the box number.  So it looked like a normal residence apartment number.     John Jones

123 Elm St., #3215

Any City, CA  91325

FedEx delivered it to the post office who then put it in the buyers PO Box. I would not want to make a habit of doing this, but it did work for the package I sent and saved me about $17 on the shipping.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply