cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package shipped to Guam by mistake?

On June 20th, I shipped a USPS First Class package to the east cost of the U.S.  The package ended up in Guam (island way out in the Pacific Ocean) on June 24 and as of today (June 27) it is working its way back to the states via Hawaii.  Don't know if this is purely a USPS postal problem or one linked to the many software glitches that we are seeing in eBay recently.  Been doing eBay since 2011 and never had a problem like this before.  Just posting this in case others are having similar problems.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Package shipped to Guam by mistake?

That's horrible! I hope you have not only contacted your buyer, but also attached a copy of the information for them to see. Be sure and ask if they are willing to wait for it, and although it wasn't your fault, you might want to send your buyer a store coupon for use on their next purchase with you. You choose the amount. They will be more understanding when they see how important they are to you during this time. I wish you the best and so sorry this happened to you.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I already issued a full refund with apology.  Buyer was kind and understanding especially since they could see the tracking. My concern is that this might have been a problem with eBay interfacing with the USPS and generating a bad barcode on the shipping label.  Since no one else is responding it must have just been a USPS problem.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@piedmontvarietystore wrote:

I already issued a full refund with apology.  Buyer was kind and understanding especially since they could see the tracking. My concern is that this might have been a problem with eBay interfacing with the USPS and generating a bad barcode on the shipping label.  Since no one else is responding it must have just been a USPS problem.

It is just a USPS routing glitch ... I've had a couple of packages that went off in a completely wrong direction (but not quite as far away as Guam).

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

On June 20th, I shipped a USPS First Class package to the east cost of the U.S.  The package ended up in Guam (island way out in the Pacific Ocean) on June 24 and as of today (June 27) it is working its way back to the states via Hawaii.  Don't know if this is purely a USPS postal problem or one linked to the many software glitches that we are seeing in eBay recently.  Been doing eBay since 2011 and never had a problem like this before.  Just posting this in case others are having similar problems.

There were problems awhile back where USPS 1st class int'l pkgs were going to domestic zip codes if the int'l zip code had 5 digits.

That was right after USPS raised their prices this last time.

I too have had 1st cl int'l pkgs go round in weird circles a few times, but they ended up to their proper destination.

A USPS glitch, not eBay.

Hopefully, when your buyer receives their pkg, they will give back the $$ you refunded.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I think it's USPS. I use shipstation and from time to time a package will go on a detour far out its way before making it back on track to the destination. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Most recently I sent a package from Florida to New York.  The buyer contacted me asking where the item was.  I checked the tracking number and the package was being routed through San Diego.  I contacted the buyer and he was very understanding and was willing to wait.  One would think with the postal rate hikes that the service would improve?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

It is just a USPS routing glitch ... I've had a couple of packages that went off in a completely wrong direction (but not quite as far away as Guam).

Me as well. I had a package go to China that should have gone to Japan because they shared the same postal code.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Wow!  I just had one, too.  Ordered on Sunday, July 1, shipped First Class using eBay generated label on July 2 from Arizona to near San Jose, CA.  Entered the San Jose Regional Facility on July 3.  Delivery site is less than 60 miles away and should have been delivered by July 5 (even considering the holiday).  Instead it bounced around a number of Regional facilities and just landed in Guam, nearly 6,000 miles away, today.  

This will result in an extra 12,000 miles on the package.  Have just contacted the buyer and hope he understands this wasn't by choice.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

My package finally made its way back to the east coast and to the buyer but it took nine days.  The buyers zip code was not even close to the zip code for Guam.  With Amazon starting their own delivery service, it may be hurting the budget of the USPS which is resulting in technical issues.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

It's USPS...i've been there done that you might say...package sent from New York to Illinois via Guam & Hawaii....nice uh.....our lustrous postal system.....just like any other government agency...screwed up
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Well this is still ongoing and I am amazed at the number of reviews I found as soon as I typed in Barrigada, GU to see where my dress was. The shipping tracking just updates like it's normal, and won't let me report the item as late arriving because it's still considered "in transit" even though it was estimated to arrive a week ago. My dress is currently in Hawaii!!! Boo.  This could be serious for someone with a time-sensitive need for the item they purchased. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@1313bad wrote:

Well this is still ongoing and I am amazed at the number of reviews I found as soon as I typed in Barrigada, GU to see where my dress was. The shipping tracking just updates like it's normal, and won't let me report the item as late arriving because it's still considered "in transit" even though it was estimated to arrive a week ago. My dress is currently in Hawaii!!! Boo.  This could be serious for someone with a time-sensitive need for the item they purchased. 

Had a similar case last week, the only one I can recall in 22 years of shipping with the USPS! It was a jacket that was sent from NM to TX and accidentally ended up in Sacramento, California. Makes one wonder, do these cases cost the USPS so much money that it justifies the recent hike in its prices? It costs a lot of Kerosine to operate cargo airplanes... not to mention the personnel and maintenance.

I hope you will receive your dress. My buyer got his jacket with a 3 days delay (Priority). 

Take care

PW

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone, Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 14
latest reply