cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION: Leaving Ebay

Such a HUGE weight will be lifted off my shoulders this coming year ! ! In order to stop the stress and HUGE FRAUD from buyers on Ebay, I will be leaving permanently after 18 years selling here. Ebay does not value me what so ever, and never did. I just got off the phone with a Ebay customer representative who refused to help me with buyer fraud. I pay Ebay between 4-6k per month to sell on Ebay only to be told there was nothing they can do about buyers committing fraud. All I can do is report it, because Ebay refuses to help me. Since Ebay is OK with buyer fraud as usual, STILL after 18 years selling on Ebay, I will be leaving ASAP. BUYER FRAUD is rampant on Ebay, and Ebay does NOTHING about it what so ever. Good bye Ebay. I am not paying you hundreds of thousands of dollars every year for you to tell me you won't help me. You have other sellers to rip off instead of me. Hopefully that is someones salary at Ebay, that you will now lay off.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: NEW YEARS RESOLUTION: Leaving Ebay

This is true, but your premise is laughable. I share this sellers frustration with eBay. eBay is 100% right, they can't control people committing fraud, but they can control the seller protection they claim to have. I think that's the real issue. They take the fees, they tell us we are protected, they tell us if a buyer does "x" but you as the seller does "y" then you are protected because "x" is a violation of eBay's policies. It all sounds really good until you provide all the evidence needed and they don't bother to view it (which is exactly what happens). Then when you call they say, "build theft into your business model" or "we see the information you provided but its your word against theirs." That's the real frustration of most. eBay is just as dishonest as one of these thieves that use eBay to steal from people. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 34 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

You won't find a retail sales venue that is without some buyer fraud.  A lot of merchandise leaves stores without ever seeing the check out counter. 

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

So you are OK with it, Good for you. I am not OK that Ebay is encouraging, promoting, and facilitating obvious fraud that they can easily stop. 

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do.  Best of luck to you.

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

I doubt @simba6  is OK with it.  He is just pointing out a fact of life.   Every retailer has to deal with some sort of fraud.   The savvy ones build an allowance for it into their pricing.

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

As a fairly new ebay seller, can you describe some of the types of fraud that you have encountered?  Is it one particular type, or several?  Just wanting to be prepared - thanks in advance and sorry for the frustration!

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

@horseofcoursellc 

Gosh, sorry you had enough bad experiences that you feel you need to take your ball and go home!

It always bothers me when I see stuff like that because I can relate to it.  What is different for me is that I spent some time asking questions on these threads, challenging the knowledgeable posters here and getting an education.

Also I guess I have a different perspective on things.  I don't look for anyone to do something FOR me, rather I look for ways I can protect myself.  I know not everyone has that kind of constitution.

In business it often takes an open mind and willingness to adjust adapt and change.  The corporate landscape is littered with those who were too big to dance or who didn't adjust or adapt to changes.  Also we see many sellers, even 20+ year sellers, who don't understand customer service, don't get the MBG and  stand on principle rather than adapt and get run over by eBay policy.

You have enough sales and high enough priced items that a few fraud experiences should already be worked into your business plan.  (I mean 5 pages of FB on sales in the last month, with what appears to be an average price of $100.)   Also would be interested to know what is your plan for when you suspect fraud and what you actually do when you experience fraud?  There are things that can be done and should be done.  Some of those. executed properly, can make you whole.  But sigh, you are selling horse tack and as such you should know that 'horse people' are a bit of a different breed.  What contingencies are worked into the business?

Point is that, you can leave eBay, but the fraud type buyers won't go away and you will still have to deal with them.  Leaving doesn't fix the problem, but learning how to manage it might ease the anxiety and make dealing with them no different than packaging and shipping.

But you didn't give any specifics such that anyone here could help you, just a complaint and a grand send off.  Although I see your listings are still up.  No, you leaving won't be noticed by eBay, it will be immaterial to their bottom line so your hope of causing the firing of an employee is just a wish.

So perhaps you might wish to take that negative energy and channel it into making some positive changes? That weight could likely be lifted by some renewed business practices and a few changes. I know as it worked for me.

The community will be here to help should you choose to avail yourself of the collective knowledge and experience!

Best wishes for the new year!

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

Not ok with it at all. Just saying you can't escape it.  Yet to find a venue where things did  not " leak" out of.

Message 8 of 52
latest reply

Spend a few hours reading the boards and you will find the answer to your question.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Hopefully, you will reconsider.  You have really great items - shame to see a great seller leave.  Regardless, best of luck to you.

one point - sellers often overestimate their value to eBay.  Any individual seller’s value is not equal to fees paid.  For that to be true, you’d have to assume that none of your buyers would buy from any other seller, should you leave, and that your account is no cost to manage.  

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

@5-solas 

I can think of a few, but it depends on what you are selling.  With your shirts and the doohickey's you are selling you need to expect a few things.

1.  False "Not As Described" claims when a buyer wants to return something that doesn't fit or is the wrong color.

2.  A claim that a package arrived empty or with a brick instead of item in listing.

3.  A return where the buyer send back a rock instead of the item that was listed.

4.  Seller not understanding the returns process, having a "no returns" policy or just being stubborn or ignorant and getting run over by the MBG.

If you want specific help on how one can and should deal with these situations, please start a new thread rather than hijacking OPs thread.  Many will be glad to help and it is GREAT that you are concerned about it willing to learn and asking questions!  Don't stop until you are satisfied!

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

Good luck at what ever you do.

Oh and eBay is not your daddy or mommy:

They are not law enforcement.

If you are a victim of fraud file reports with Law Enforcement.

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

I sold a piece of fabric to a customer who when the fabric arrived showed me pictures of damages in the fabric. 

I apologized and refunded her money . 

Then I see this same piece of fabric up for sale on her other site that I found by accident.

What she did is this: She had an older piece of the same Ralph Lauren Fabric, hers was damaged, it is a popular print. She sent me pictures of her **bleep** fabric, I didn't realize it until I saw the exact length as what mine was up on her other site. 

I should have asked her to send it back, mine was only 34" so the print would fall in a certain way of the cut, I'm SURE her old ruined piece would have the same pattern in the same place as mine.

ALSO her feedback as a customer is PRIVATE, you have to wonder about someone who hides their feedback...............

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

@ncnonny wrote:

I sold a piece of fabric to a customer who when the fabric arrived showed me pictures of damages in the fabric. 

I apologized and refunded her money . 

Then I see this same piece of fabric up for sale on her other site that I found by accident.

What she did is this: She had an older piece of the same Ralph Lauren Fabric, hers was damaged, it is a popular print. She sent me pictures of her **bleep** fabric, I didn't realize it until I saw the exact length as what mine was up on her other site. 

I should have asked her to send it back, mine was only 34" so the print would fall in a certain way of the cut, I'm SURE her old ruined piece would have the same pattern in the same place as mine.

ALSO her feedback as a customer is PRIVATE, you have to wonder about someone who hides their feedback...............

Ahhhh photo shop does wonders to photos you know....

Do not forget to add them to your blocked bidders list.

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

no need to announce.jpg

Message 15 of 52
latest reply