cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Shipped by Doordash

I just... had an eBay item delivered to me by Doordash. It wasn't a food item and I'm kind of mystified as to what happened.

One, I was texted by the dasher - my number is *not* on our doordash account -- and two, it was a single item, so how was that profitable for the dasher? I like to tip well, and I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that the dasher wasn't tipped at all besides the pittance doordash gives (and I have no way of knowing).

Thoughts, anyone? What the heck just happened (other than drop shipping, I know that's technically what happened).

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Item Shipped by Doordash

Dashers sometimes slap a receipt on them items when you order, but there was only a strange sticker on this one that had a barcode, my last name & the time it was - possibly looks like ordered from DD, seeing as it says 10:00 & it was 11:00 when I received the item.

It was free shipping.

As for them being the dasher, as I mentioned before, look at the odds that the seller would be:

1) from my state

2) from a county close enough in that state to drive it themselves

Those odds are high enough considering the amount of area just in my state alone making the fact they'd be near me incredibly high even if they were from here, which is also highly unlikely.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

If it was a new item, I suspect the seller used a store as a drop shipper.  I have received deliveries from wally mart that way that used to come Fedex.  I would expect others are also using it. 

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

No label, DD doesn't use labels. It's a prepared food delivery service.

Sometimes receipts, but there was only a sticker I detailed below.

XD I'd love to believe any scenario where the dasher got tipped or didn't mind, lol! 

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

I knew it would likely be drop shipped, as their location states something like "multiple locations, USA" or something to that effect.

I just never thought that they would use an app that delivers prepared food service only, as far as I know, and one where the delivery folks rely on tips to get by (& I doubt they tipped).

They also, if this was the case, gave the service my phone number as the dasher contacted me directly. I'm not pleased about that as it was unnecessary.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

@loudmanslover wrote:

They also, if this was the case, gave the service my phone number as the dasher contacted me directly. I'm not pleased about that as it was unnecessary.

Since he texted you then you have his number as well. No harm in texting him back and asking for details. SOMEBODY must be paying him for the delivery if its not you.

What was the item you ordered?

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

I wouldn't care for someone texting me out if the blue so why would I do it to them? It is also late, they may not remember - I eventually got some sleep as that was important to me today. Also, I'm not sure it's the dasher's number. I believe it's through the app. 

We do have DD installed for us, but it did not connect to that service obviously. If it had, you see the steps the dasher takes to get the item(s) delivered to you, and a map. I would have then been able to reference this and an order number to contact them. As it is, I don't know if the sticker placed on the item is enough to determine anything.

Yes, *technically* DD "pays" dashers. If you read up on it, however, it's like the food service industry as per waiters & waitresses: very low payment & they rely on tips to get by.

It was a poster frame.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

neil_dobbs
Enthusiast

This just happened to me as well.  I have Door Dash calling and texting me about an order that I never placed, come to find out it's my eBay order that I made for paper plates?!

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Nothing new.   a number of start up shipping companies have "farmed out" deliveries to such services.  Was the item dropshipped from store.  Many of them use such companies to deliver.

No there is no tipping with that agreement so don't worry.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Why would someone here ask what tracking says?  Are  you suggesting to scam the seller with a not received case? JEEZE, they got their item!  I wouldn't  care if it came from  UPS , Doordash or dropped on my porch by a drone.  As long as it was delivered on time and was the right item why start a stink because it was delivered in a POV instead of a brown xtruck, a blue van or a white jeep?  

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

You gave your permission to share your contact information, which is your phone and email when you signed the user agreement.  

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

@loudmanslover wrote:

Dashers sometimes slap a receipt on them items when you order, but there was only a strange sticker on this one that had a barcode, my last name & the time it was - possibly looks like ordered from DD, seeing as it says 10:00 & it was 11:00 when I received the item.

It was free shipping.

As for them being the dasher, as I mentioned before, look at the odds that the seller would be:

1) from my state

2) from a county close enough in that state to drive it themselves

Those odds are high enough considering the amount of area just in my state alone making the fact they'd be near me incredibly high even if they were from here, which is also highly unlikely.

This just happened to me and mine has the same sticker. They called saying it was DD with a delivery from Walmart for me, and I told them I hadn't ordered anything, and the guy read out my name and was like I don't know, I just have this delivery for you. I was surprised to see it was my ebay purchase. They had to have given my name, address, and phone number to DD for the purchase. I feel like this happening to us both, with the same sticker even, can't be that the person happened to live in the area and drop it off personally. Also, if that were the case, wouldn't they introduce themselves on the call as my ebay delivery and not DD? Anyway, I don't like that they did this.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

Nothing new.   a number of start up shipping companies have "farmed out" deliveries to such services.  Was the item dropshipped from store.  Many of them use such companies to deliver.

No there is no tipping with that agreement so don't worry.

The tip isn't a "don't worry" situation. The DD driver deserves a tip. We can't tip when this happened because it wasn't on our accounts. Whoever the seller was is the one that made the DD order, and they should tip the driver, but I doubt they did.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

just now found an item that  i ordered on ebay 2 days ago.it was 

on my porch, doordash had left it before i was out of bed.no call or text that doordash was going to

deliver this.item was fine but was not packaged in any way,just the item with a packing slip from

petsmart taped to it and on the back of the slip it said DOORDASH,when i go to my ebay 

account it shows item will not be delivered until 4 more days?nice to get it so fast but weird i live in

iowa seller lives in georgia,and the amount paid for for the item on the slip was $32 more than what i paid

for it on ebay-and i was charged the correct price that i bought the item for so how does seller make any

profit from that and then paying doordash fee on top of that? strange but got my item and all is good.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

@asianite55 wrote: ...  i live in

iowa seller lives in georgia,and the amount paid for for the item on the slip was $32 more than what i paid

for it on eBay...

Your GA-based seller probably ordered home delivery via your local Petsmart.  

Unfortunately, the best way to get some insight into his financial process might be to do an online search for "triangulation fraud;" In short, he paid the store with a stolen credit card and kept your money.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply