cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping - Yes, or No?

I do not currently ship Internationally - only to the lower 48 states, U.S.

I sell an item.  Print a label via Ebay Shipping Label page.  Slap the label on the package, and hand it off to the Postman at my door.  I love the simplicity of the whole exercise.

Does International shipping work the same way? (sell it; print the label; send it out the door)

Or is there additional work involved - forms, declarations, customs, etc. - that have to be filled out?

I am asking this question for two reasons:

1) Sales so far in 2018, have been absolutely horrible - on average, down 80-85% from same period last year.  Some months, I barely sell enough to cover my Basic Store Subscription on eBay.

2) So far in 2018, I have been getting requests from Buyers (on average 2 or 3 per month) in other countries, asking me to ship items Internationally - - - even though all of my Listings state "Does not ship Internationally".

I MUST increase Sales, or I will shortly be out-of-business. So what is the eBay Community's  take on International Shipping?  How much extra hassle is involved?  Should I be shipping Internationally?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: International Shipping - Yes, or No?

Not at all. I ship to the territories as well.

Only current exclusion is PO Boxes - and they will remain permanently excluded, due to size considerations for many of my items, and for security reasons.  I have had a number of "scam" situations resulting in missing items and forced refunds via eBay's ridiculous Seller policies:  every one of them involved me shipping to a PO Box.

No more.

That is another reason why I am still a little hesitant about International shipping.  EBay does almost nothing anymore, to protect its Sellers - only its Buyers.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Ummmm....  PO Boxes are probably the safest place to ship.

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

So long as only one person has access to the PO Box.

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

@themonitorman wrote:

that's up to the owner of the box...

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

which is why they are always a potential security risk.

I don't ship to them, and won't ship to them.

And I make the same recommendation to everyone who sells here.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

I sell to just about anywhere.  I dont exclude states out side the lower 48 but I do offer one postage rate ($3 for jewelry, $5 for other items) for the US. I dont do free shipping so if my buyers are willing to pay the postage, I will mail it.  International is getting rare though because the rates have gone way up for them.  And some items just dont get their interest.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Have you also tried best offer? I saw a few items that were more than I would pay but we werent far apart.  Give buyers a chance to offer what they WILL buy it for rather than you listing at a price they WONT buy it for.  Also consider shipping.  You had $7 shipping on items that could go First Class for half that.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

My particular personal interest is in broken jewelry I can fix in metal working class. You have some broken pieces but they are WAY overpriced for broken. 

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

@themonitorman wrote:

which is why they are always a potential security risk.

I don't ship to them, and won't ship to them.

And I make the same recommendation to everyone who sells here.

you do realize that it's quick and simple to steal something out of a mailbox in front of someone's house, and not so quick and simple to steal something out of a PO Box..??

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@rixstuff

I frequently sell items via Best Offer.

You know, "Best Offer" is always a possibility, whether the item is listed as Best Offer or not.

I have often been contacted by Buyers, with an offer, for Items listed at Buy-Now price only, and ended up accepting their offer:  simply edit the Item to include "Best Offer" so they can make the offer.

As a Buyer, I have often contacted Sellers with offers for items listed as Buy Now, and ending up making the purchase from them.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Bingo!

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

You are mistaken.  You must have me confused with someone else.  I do not sell any broken jewelry - unless someone else has been adding items to my store without my knowing it.

About once or twice a year I might list an antique pocket watch, "for parts or not working", but it is very rare. I usually sell items like that as "Auction" listings anyway.

As far as pricing is concerned:  every single item I list has been thoroughly researched - not just on eBay, but on the Internet - and my List price, is the exact median price the item sells for, world-wide.  That is how I set prices.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

Hello,

I have a question about shipping to Germany and if the seller is using the Ebay Shipping Service.

When/where have I to pay the shipping costs?
And can anbody tell me how much the shipping costs are?
I can't see it at the offer and the seller says that she can't tell me anything about the costs.
Thank you.

Ralf

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

@themonitorman wrote:

Actually, if memory serves, only persons authorized are permitted to receive mail from a PO Box. I'm not sure that all PO Boxes are individually owned.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 29 of 30
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@themonitorman wrote:

Actually, if memory serves, only persons authorized are permitted to receive mail from a PO Box. I'm not sure that all PO Boxes are individually owned.

they're not... some businesses have them...

Message 30 of 30
latest reply