cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ship to Address Exceeds Max Characters fix??

I'm a USA seller with a GSP paid-for order that I can't ship due to the max 40 fields per line in the eBay ship to address.  Buyer inserted 43 characters in first line of the ship to: address so label will not print. The ship to: address is frozen on my end.  Called eBay help and they cannot change it...I'd think they'd have an override??  They suggested that I use PayPal label. PayPal offers only flat rate option & this box weighs 22 pounds and is large.  The eBay CSR told me the buyer is only one that can change shipping address.  Buyer said he would call eBay but is apparently having issues changing it too as several days have passed. My thought is to relist the item, provide the item # to the buyer, have him order it against the new listing. I can then mark new order "paid" and ship it, then cancel the initial order.  Has anyone had this issue and have I overlooked anything in my considered solution?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

What do you mean by "frozen" on your end? You should be able to edit and correct the address by breaking it to two lines. Are you looking at the new Shipping form or the "classic" version? You should be using the classic form for best results. Do you not see an Edit link anywhere on the form near the Ship-To: address?

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed that this is a GSP shipment... but I'm not sure why the Ship-To: address would be locked in, unless there was some concern by Pitney-Bowes that changing the address could change the cost of Shipping for some reason, and the order has already been paid for. That seems a bit of a stretch, though...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What do you mean by "frozen" on your end? You should be able to edit and correct the address by breaking it to two lines. Are you looking at the new Shipping form or the "classic" version? You should be using the classic form for best results. Do you not see an Edit link anywhere on the form near the Ship-To: address?

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed that this is a GSP shipment... but I'm not sure why the Ship-To: address would be locked in, unless there was some concern by Pitney-Bowes that changing the address could change the cost of Shipping for some reason, and the order has already been paid for. That seems a bit of a stretch, though...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I don't use the gsp but isn't the address on the label for the gsp center...not the buyers address?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I was just thinking the same thing (i.e., that the address should be the GSP center in Erlanger KY).  When a buyer gives me an address that flashes the red "can't print" message, I shorten very straightforward things like "department" to dept, "Incorporated" to Inc., "Arriving Hotel Guest" to Arriving Gst or Guest, etc.   I read long ago that as long as the sender doesn't alter the address in a "material" way, it's okay to clean it up and still keep seller protection.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@anneecakes wrote:

I was just thinking the same thing (i.e. that the address should be the GSP center in Erlanger KY).

Oh, duh... Smiley Embarassed Yes, that's right... although in re-reading the OP now, I see that the problem involves the first line of the Ship-To: address... which would be the buyer's name, wouldn't it?

Worst-case scenario (but might be not so bad with a cooperative buyer, which this one seems to be): cancel the existing transaction due to Problem with Address (which is true). Ask the buyer to fix their Ship-To: address per the conversation that you have apparently already had with them, ask him to let you know when that's done, and then re-list the item as a BuyItNow at the agreed-upon price.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

We ended up using your "worst case scenario", after I spoke to two eBay reps. The first rep, after putting me on hold, suggested that I try using the PayPal label.  While she held the line, I tried that but it offered only flat rate box options and my 22lb item was far too large to fit the largest flat rate.  She then said I could always choose to cancel and refund the buyer's $87.....which I immediately rejected.  I always ship within 24 business hours of payment but after 5 days of exchanging messages with the buyer....who was very patient and seemed to be trying to do what I coached him to do....& waiting through our widely separated time zones for responses.....in frustration, I finally called eBay again, thinking the buyer and I may have had a language translation issue. The second rep was great....he had obviously seen this is problem previously.  Upon my suggesting the "worst case scenario" solution, and upon my request, he interceded by messaging the buyer the "worst case scenario" step by step process and copied me on the instructions that I had already warned the buyer may be the only answer.  Rep told me to cancel the first order but I waited until transaction on relist was completed before canceling.  (he had to pay a second time and I refunded the first payment....which I had hoped would not have been required by the buyer).  Had I immediately canceled the first order at reps instructions, I would have lost communication with the buyer.......which I was not about to do......having invested so much time & effort.  If box arrives safely, all is well now! Thank you eBay community!!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Ebay should change their order entry software to reject any ship to address that exceeds maximum 40 characters/spaces. An error message to the buyer at entry would force this solution up front and seller frustration for this issue would be eliminated!
Message 7 of 7
latest reply