cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was charged $1200 by UPS for shipping underpayment issue

I NEED SOME ADVICE

I sold a karastan rug (12x8.8) and 82lbs and shipped to Kansas from California it cost me $167 the buyer received the package no issue. then I'm hit with a $1200 shipping label for underpayment from UPS . so I call eBay and they leave me confused and I'm a world of anxiety. after a few more calls and new eBay team advice they made a claim. now I'm to wait 10 days for a response from UPS . I feel I have been wrongly charged by ups and the amount is insane my financial status has been turned upside down. Will eBay help pay me back. what should I do??

thanks

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@randomroom669 wrote:

I NEED SOME ADVICE

I sold a karastan rug (12x8.8) and 82lbs and shipped to Kansas from California it cost me $167 the buyer received the package no issue. then I'm hit with a $1200 shipping label for underpayment from UPS . so I call eBay and they leave me confused and I'm a world of anxiety. after a few more calls and new eBay team advice they made a claim. now I'm to wait 10 days for a response from UPS . I feel I have been wrongly charged by ups and the amount is insane my financial status has been turned upside down. Will eBay help pay me back. what should I do??

thanks

What was the size of the package? Specifically the length. UPS has a maximum length of 108". Beyond that it is considered freight, even if it is under 150 pounds.

Then, even if you squeaked under the 108"  (8'8" being 106") then there are additional restrictions that can add additional charges:

• A package with the longest side exceeding 48 inches or second-longest side exceeding 30 inches.
  • A shipment where the average weight per package is greater than 50 pounds or packages over 50 pounds  (you did say it was 82 pounds) with the weight not specified on the source document or the UPS automated shipping system used.
  • A package that is not fully encased in corrugated cardboard. Any cylindrical-like item, such as a barrel, drum, pail or tire, that is not fully encased in a corrugated cardboard shipping container.

And there are a bunch more.

It is important to know the rules.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You may have a tough time with this one @randomroom669  per @richard1rst 's above informative post. Just adding in:

eBay's guide on avoiding cost adjustments from carriers:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/preparing-your-shipment/packaging-and-measuring

Which links to UPS's service guide, specifically see pages 126-129 for surcharges:

https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/webcontent/en_US/retail_rates.pdf

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

accurate or not, that's insane if ebay just took it out of your account like that without notice or appeal.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@penny_sioux wrote:

accurate or not, that's insane if ebay just took it out of your account like that without notice or appeal.  

I sense entitlement talking.

I have seen posts on these boards of people mis-using Media Mail and being tagged (followed by loud screams). Neither UPS nor eBay has any way of knowing whether you made an honest mistake or you deliberately tried to cheat the system.

I can not speak for UPS (I don't use them) but I have received an occasional back charge from USPS along with an attached link to file an appeal which I have done and generally been successful.

How else would you have them handle it? Send a bill, which may be ignored? Or maybe you would have UPS just send it back to the sender along with a stern note? (and no refund)

It is the sender's responsibility to pay the right amount.

C'mon - tell me - what should they do?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

so here's a link ttle update as of April 15th, I had made a claim with ups and there is a 10 day period to get a response weather ups will refund my $1200. THAT CLAIM WAS CANCELED BY SOME RANDOM ACT OF GOD, I found out that on April 3 the claim was canceled without and response or message. So I've made another claim and I'm still waiting . it was an honest mistake. I would have paid for the freight shipping **bleep** I paid $167 to ship the rug regardless. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I need some advice on who to attempt to talk with at eBay because this is crazyness

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yep, that should have went freight.

FWIW, I would have used SAIA or R&L or at least priced them.

Next time call a rug company and inquire about who they use to ship 12 x 8 rugs.

Was this an inside delivery to the 12th floor somewhere? 

Did they have to make multiple trips to the location to get the rug off the truck? Did it require liftgate service?

Continuing with claims with UPS is your best bet, imo.

If you want to talk to a USA based eBay employee, use eBay for Business on Facebook. 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/

Posting ID
Message 8 of 8
latest reply