cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notice of another projected USPS First Class Stamp increase

Just heard about this on CNN a few minutes ago --

USPS has announced that they are proposing another 5 cent increase (from 68 cents to 73 cents) on the First Class Forever stamps.

The proposal, of course, must be approved at a higher level, and there is no indication of when USPS wishes to commence this increase.

The latest increase was just in January of this year -- and, throughout December, I stocked up on Forever stamps leading up to that date.

Deja vu -- all over again.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I'm not surprised increases in postage with USPS happen every year.  

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I saw that, sad thing is my 80 yr old mom loves making and sending out holiday cards. Looks like she'll be cutting back or stopping all together.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Would be GREAT if they were treated like every other carrier service in the US & not exempted from the same rules & regulations, capable of avoiding consequences for their failure of service & facing zero consequences for grossly delaying or stopping delivery of mail & parcels through Georgia & much of the region due to internal ineptitude.

You should be able to get a refund on postage paid when service has been altered by the carrier.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I guess USPS don't want to deliver letters anymore either.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Can she just stock up now on "Forever" stamps, maybe just a few each month til the change goes into effect?  

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

It seems to me they should focus on better carrier training.

Ex: Mailed a birthday card on March 10th for a March 17th birthday.  Same zip code, across town.

Received card back about April 2 marked "Return To Sender No Such Address".

The addressee has lived in that exact address for about 8-10 years and have mailed previous cards.

Went to PO today to ask about this.  Clerk at window:  "Only thing I can figure out is it was a substitute and the name was not familiar." OK, not sure why we expect a sub to need a NAME to be familiar, isn't the ADDRESS what they go by?"Secondly, if the address next door on one side is 1250 and on the other side is 1258, isn't the one property between the two most likely to be 1256? 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@kalyoth 

There have been multiple Congressional investigations of many local post office branches during the last few years, based upon complaints filed by everyday people -- just like you and me.

One of my Congressional representatives had been deluged with multiple complaints regarding USPS issues in her district; and responded by requesting that ANYBODY in Minnesota with USPS complaints drop her a line, or phone her office -- and, boy!  did she get hit!

The result was a 2023 Congressional investigation of 4 USPS branches (the one I regularly use was included) that uncovered tens of thousands of pieces of undelivered mail on a DAILY basis; USPS employees who had been absent more often than they had been working; missing USPS keys; managers on "leave of absence" for months at a time, with no replacements; delivery drivers who refused to deliver mail past 4:45 PM; dozens of instances of "lost" or mis-delivered envelopes & packages; multiple mail delivery "skip days" several times a week; and so on.

The Congressional representative publicly published the findings; and drastic changes have occurred -- at least at my local post office branch.

So don't just complain on eBay about the poor performance of USPS -- contact your representatives in Congress, and do it OFTEN.  

Put a little fire under their feet, and make them earn their bloated salaries and perks.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Someone has to pay for all the international shipping import discounts.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Can you explain the term "the international shipping import discounts".

I no longer sell here and thus don't know about that kind of thing.  

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Not complaining about my local USPS - I'm more talking about the pieces of mail I have had go through Georgia in last 60 days that have disappeared into the USPS black hole for 3-4 weeks with no scans or updates. Not even a new arriving late memo. There is significant laziness within the system of the USPS with many good & a few bad people. My local branch people & post master mention it every time I'm in. I work for Amazon primarily so they know anything & everything to discuss with me.

My local reps can't do much of anything. The one thing they can do is pass it along to local reps down in Georgia. Will it happen - no idea. I will get my letter from their office that my concern is important to them & they will forward it to the appropriate people for investigation. I'm from MA so until it involves voting ability within the network, politics are likely not going to step in.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Forever stamps will soon become the next hot investment.

I don't see how they can keep increasing the price of them when China can produce them for far less.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I stocked up on different styles of Forever Stamps about 10 years ago. I'm set forever!!! 😁🙏😎 However, I will also pick up a couple of new sheets every year for new Christmas &/or other cool looking designs.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

As a 90 year old, I do indeed feel for your mom.  When you get up in years, sometimes it whittles down to not being able to always do all the things you want, so what you ARE able to do means so much more.

In addition to my suggestion of her starting to buy stamps now periodically as she can afford, have you ever considered postage stamps as a Mother's Day or birthday gift? I suggested that several years ago to my children and grandchildren and it's worked out well for us.  

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Glad to hear that "drastic changes" occurred at your local post office as a result of that inquiry.

However, have not really seen any changes, drastic or otherwise,  locally, except possibly fewer personnel available at the window.  

Message 15 of 20
latest reply