cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm being charged by USPS for voided shipping label dating from December 2023?!?!?

This is something I haven't encountered before in the 23 years that I have been selling on Ebay.

This week USPS charged me for 2 separate shipping labels that had been voided back in December of 2023.  Their reason was because the labels were used after they had already given me a refund...which is not true.  The labels were never used at all...but  for some reason the tracking numbers attached to the labels are showing that they were used for shipping in March of 2024.  I don't understand how that is even possible.  The labels were thrown away in December and never used...but the tracking is updating as if I mailed the packages out last week...which I did not do.

Is anyone else having this same issue?  I'm not even sure how to fight it with USPS and the only things that I can think of is that the tracking numbers are being recycled and someone else has shipped a package using the exact same tracking number...OR...it is a glitch with the USPS tracking system that is somehow providing false updates when nothing has actually been shipped.

Message 1 of 126
latest reply
125 REPLIES 125

Re: I'm being charged by USPS for voided shipping label dating from December 2023?!?!?

@wastingtime101 wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

The Shipping team wanted to share an update on this for yourself and others that have been impacted by this:

"USPS recently indicated there was an issue on their side where they incorrectly charged sellers for APV charges for used voided labels. Sellers impacted by this issue can expect to receive refunds by end of week this week for impacted transactions." 

Hi devon@ebay - can you check if the refund timeline was pushed out? Several sellers in this discussion said their refunds did not come through yet.

Hey @wastingtime101! I can have this checked and see what I can find out. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 76 of 126
latest reply

Re: I'm being charged by USPS for voided shipping label dating from December 2023?!?!?

I have not received any refunds for any of the voided labels I was charged for.

Message 77 of 126
latest reply

I had this happen to me too, voided a label in January and definitely didn't use it, rec'd an email in early April that I had been charged for using a voided label. Didn't think the $4 charge was worth my time pursuing. 

Glad to know I should get or have gotten a refund. I may go look back to see if I got the refund but honestly not sure I will b/c I won't prusue it anyway 🤪

Message 78 of 126
latest reply

Same problem, no refund here either.

Message 79 of 126
latest reply

bump. can we get an update on this? Refunds were promised to be delivered over a week ago now

Message 80 of 126
latest reply

Have you had any response from eBay? I just spent an hour on the phone to overseas customer agents. I had been told 2 weeks ago they had opened an IT case to find the problem. Evidently that was a lie. Nothing has been done, they keep acting like it’s the customers fault and told me to take it up again with USPS. Has anyone received their money back for recycled tracking numbers?

Message 81 of 126
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Has any progress been made on this? It doesn't appear that any refunds or credits have been issued to affected sellers.

Thanks.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 82 of 126
latest reply

So, as of this morning, I've again been charged by USPS for yet another voided shipping label.  At what point is all of this going to stop?  

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 5.07.28 AM.png

Message 83 of 126
latest reply

This just happened to me also. Label purchased and canceled February 6th, second label purchased February 6th, delivered February 9th. Now almost 3 months later it randomly arrived in a NY facility with no USPS pickup/drop off info on the tracking and then a few days after that it says it was delivered to the customer in Indiana. 

Message 84 of 126
latest reply

Same situation here (but worse). Had item sold and delivered in February. Yesterday seller claims they didn’t get item. Kind of strange to say so now when tracking showed it was delivered in February.  I just refunded them, given I didn’t know what else I could go. Insult to injury, this morning I’m getting charged for a voided label on this item too. So I gave away an item for free and paid for two shipping labels. Really awesome for me. My voided label also went through NY Metro. At this point I’m just done with eBay, they clearly don’t care about their sellers. 

Message 85 of 126
latest reply

If your tracking number showed proof of delivery, Ebay would have sided with you if the buyer opened a non-receipt case.  I just went through the same situation this week.  Buyer opened a non-receipt claim, I provided Ebay with proof of delivery via the USPS tracking number and they closed the case this morning with no refund to the buyer.  Ebay will protect you if you go through the right steps.  

Never provide a refund if you have proof of delivery.  Once you give the buyer a refund, there is nothing Ebay will do for you as it was your choice to refund the money.

Message 86 of 126
latest reply

Thanks for the information. It indeed showed delivered around 5 days after it shipped. Lesson learned. I didn’t even see an option to get eBay involved. I saw options to message seller, provide refund, and/or provide shipping label. I didn’t provide shipping label because I figured that information was already there (purchased label through eBay). Having the second voided label show as delivered last Friday made the situation even more confusing. I had no idea what was going on to be honest. I was too worried about my feedback taking a hit and just ate the cost. 

Message 87 of 126
latest reply

To those of you following along with this thread, I did get refunded for 2 of the 3 erroneous voided label charges.  I went through my transaction history and found the refunds were processed on April 20, 2024.

Where the third refund is...I don't know.  I can't find it anywhere...

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 8.43.54 AM.png

Message 88 of 126
latest reply

You have to wait for the "Get Ebay Involved" option to appear which usually takes 4 days from the time the buyer opens a request / claim against your account.  It usually says you have until (for example:  May 1, 2024 to resolve the buyer's issue).  Once May 2nd rolls around the escalate to Ebay option will appear for you.  Then all you have to do is provide the tracking number for proof of delivery and they will find in your favor.  

Once they find in your favor, the buyer cannot leave you negative feedback for the transaction.  If they do, then go to the Help section > Remove Negative Feedback and follow the steps to have it removed.  Ebay will usually remove the negative within an hour of receiving your request.  It's a very easy process.  

Message 89 of 126
latest reply

Dang it, I wish I would have stumbled across this thread yesterday. This is really good to know. Lesson learned on my end. 

How did you dispute your voided label? I see options for print another label, cancel label, and print packing slip? What am I missing? 

Message 90 of 126
latest reply