cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm being charged by USPS for voided shipping label dating from December 2023?!?!?

This is something I haven't encountered before in the 23 years that I have been selling on Ebay.

This week USPS charged me for 2 separate shipping labels that had been voided back in December of 2023.  Their reason was because the labels were used after they had already given me a refund...which is not true.  The labels were never used at all...but  for some reason the tracking numbers attached to the labels are showing that they were used for shipping in March of 2024.  I don't understand how that is even possible.  The labels were thrown away in December and never used...but the tracking is updating as if I mailed the packages out last week...which I did not do.

Is anyone else having this same issue?  I'm not even sure how to fight it with USPS and the only things that I can think of is that the tracking numbers are being recycled and someone else has shipped a package using the exact same tracking number...OR...it is a glitch with the USPS tracking system that is somehow providing false updates when nothing has actually been shipped.

Message 1 of 127
latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Re: I'm being charged by USPS for voided shipping label dating from December 2023?!?!?

When I contacted customer service April 15 they claimed to not know a thing about it and go to USPS. They told me to go to eBay. Trying to explain it is exhausting since the voided label shows delivered- but months later.

Message 61 of 127
latest reply

Re: I'm being charged by USPS for voided shipping label dating from December 2023?!?!?

@lucylou2153 wrote:

When I contacted customer service April 15 they claimed to not know a thing about it and go to USPS. They told me to go to eBay. Trying to explain it is exhausting since the voided label shows delivered- but months later.

Don't waste your time with USPS or eBay CS @lucylou2153 . As mentioned upthread, eBay is going to automatically refund affected sellers once they finalize this with USPS.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 62 of 127
latest reply

If that’s the case, why doesn’t customer service know about it? With eBay’s history of increasing charges for sellers dreamed up by the latest MBA hires, I don’t have a lot of confidence in them compensating those who’ve been ripped off.

Message 63 of 127
latest reply

What did your seller say was delivered with that shipping label? I can’t figure out what they are using them for.

Message 64 of 127
latest reply

I’ve sent in 4 service requests last month and have not received a single reply. USPS told me they are refusing all requests for reimbursements because this is definitely an eBay glitch/money grab.

Message 65 of 127
latest reply

@cobra_viper wrote:

This is something I haven't encountered before in the 23 years that I have been selling on Ebay.

This week USPS charged me for 2 separate shipping labels that had been voided back in December of 2023.  Their reason was because the labels were used after they had already given me a refund...which is not true.  The labels were never used at all...but  for some reason the tracking numbers attached to the labels are showing that they were used for shipping in March of 2024.  I don't understand how that is even possible.  The labels were thrown away in December and never used...but the tracking is updating as if I mailed the packages out last week...which I did not do.

Is anyone else having this same issue?  I'm not even sure how to fight it with USPS and the only things that I can think of is that the tracking numbers are being recycled and someone else has shipped a package using the exact same tracking number...OR...it is a glitch with the USPS tracking system that is somehow providing false updates when nothing has actually been shipped.

Hey @cobra_viper! The Shipping team wanted to share an update on this for yourself and others that have been impacted by this:

"USPS recently indicated there was an issue on their side where they incorrectly charged sellers for APV charges for used voided labels. Sellers impacted by this issue can expect to receive refunds by end of week this week for impacted transactions." 

Devon,
eBay
Message 66 of 127
latest reply

I’ve filed complaints with usps and eBay. They each say it’s the other ones fault. USPS did admit that they recycle numbers. No one is willing to help rectify the situation and make sellers whole on the money that is being stolen from them.

Message 67 of 127
latest reply

@crazyscientist wrote:

Same thing happened to me with a label printed with Paypal ShipStation - so it's not just an Ebay problem.  I think indeed someone is perpetrating fraud here by searching for USPS tracking, finding unused tracking numbers, then using that barcode with a different address on the package where it will ultimately get delivered at the originally purchaser's expense. 

Here's mine:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9400111206217842654535

The weird thing is that it was still delivered to my original customer in GA.  I just messaged him to find out what he got!

@crazyscientist, can you give us an update on this package/situation?

From what you said, when you posted that, the tracking showed that <something> was delivered to the original address, even though you had voided the label. Is that right? Did you hear back from your buyer to find out what (if anything) they received?

Interestingly, about a month later, the tracking for that number has now reverted back to what is expected for a voided label:

lacemaker3_0-1713358519477.png

That would be consistent with devon@ebay's update here, which said that the issue has been resolved and affected sellers will be refunded by the end of this week (so, by Sat. Apr 20, 2024).

Message 68 of 127
latest reply

I had the same problem.  Created 2 labels in December 2023. Voided 1.  The tracking for the one shows it being accepted at my PO and then the usual tracking until delivered in December.  Got a message this March that  I was being charged for the second voided label.  The voided label shows it was created in December, NEVER accepted by my local PO but then mysteriously shows up delivered in California in the middle of March 2024! (at the same address so it wasn't used by someone else)

Hate to accuse anyone of fraud but I it looks that way.  My local PO lady said someone at the CA PO apparently was trying to cover up their mistake. Talked to ebay and I didn't end up having to pay for the voided label.  However they would not remove the Late Shipping defect for that voided label....I waited too long to let them know.  lol!

Message 69 of 127
latest reply

Please post if anyone actually gets a refund in the coming days. Not holding my breath! 

I truly believe something criminal has happened here. Inside job? Hacked? Why did the voided labels origin scan all metro NY? 

Message 70 of 127
latest reply

@lucylou2153 wrote:

What did your seller say was delivered with that shipping label? I can’t figure out what they are using them for.

I was a seller who'd voided a label and got charged for it. 

Although I didn't contact my buyer. In my case, after buying the label, the buyer contacted me to request an address change. I canceled the order, voided the label and suggested she rebuy it using the correct address. She never rebought it. I don't know if she received "informed delivery" from USPS because there was no contact after cancellation of the order.

FWIW, I never got a reply from USPS after two messages sent in March, nor as of today, April 21, my account has NOT been credited for the label.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 71 of 127
latest reply

I have not received a refund.

Message 72 of 127
latest reply

I haven't received anything.

Message 73 of 127
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

The Shipping team wanted to share an update on this for yourself and others that have been impacted by this:

"USPS recently indicated there was an issue on their side where they incorrectly charged sellers for APV charges for used voided labels. Sellers impacted by this issue can expect to receive refunds by end of week this week for impacted transactions." 

Hi devon@ebay - can you check if the refund timeline was pushed out? Several sellers in this discussion said their refunds did not come through yet.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 74 of 127
latest reply

Big surprise… weekend came and went, no refund. Can we get some real info please?

Message 75 of 127
latest reply