cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN WITH FREE RETURNS FORCED ON US AND TAKING AWAY TOP RATED DISCOUNTS

I posted this months ago, that they would force us ebay sellers to do free returns!  this is wrong.  No other marketplace does this, and ebay is trying to claim that all marketplaces do this.  Also do NOT LET THEM TELL YOU AT EBAY, That it will increase your sales!  THIS IS 1000% FALSE AND JUST FOR THEM TO PUSH THIS.  They tie you up and force you to do something. 

Ebay is the worst company now.  I can bet 10000%  that ebay stocks will drop drastically.  Does ebay not know of the Fraud that just happened with Walmart and Amazon.  These people are doing $2 million in returns fraud, and now ebay is going to facilitate this for these fraud people.

Get this, ebay 3 months ago, tried to state free returns will increase your sales 300%.  THIS IS 1000% FALSE ADVERTISMENT.  DO NOT LISTEN TO EBAY REPS.  YOUR RETURNS WILL GO THRU THE ROOF, AND CUSTOMERS WILL STILL SELECT DEFECTIVE, THEN STILL CAUSING MORE WORK FOR SELLERS TO SORT THRU THESE STUPID FRAUD RETURNS!

I told ebay 3 months ago, i can see what there doing.  They lied to me.  I told them i see that you took away 10% top rated discount, and they stated because they are going to help sellers with returns and such and make it better, but that was 100% lie.  They are trying to remove the Discount completely!

I can bet 10000%  that by end of year, there will be no more Top Rated discounts.  No more Top rated badge.  And watch how all the fraud guys on amazon and walmart come to ebay and fraud the ssystem.  and then watch sellers dissappear AGAIN! and then ebay stocks will definitly fall drastically.  Only reason why ebay is still up and running is because they are the place to shop for generic items.  Ebay doesn't get it yet, but what there doing is forcing all the good sellers to move away from ebay, and all that's left is the generic **bleep** sellers, who screw everyone, and all the negative **bleep** that comes from them, falls on us good sellers.  I have to say ebay your a piece of work for lying to me on the phone, for trying to lie 3 months previously when i called you out on forcing 30 day free returns!  

EBAY - SOON, YOU'LL BE NOTHING.  your stock shares is going to drop by half.  I can guarantee you that. 

Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN WITH FREE RETURNS FORCED ON US AND TAKING AWAY TOP RATED DISCOUNTS

@WATERBED
Yes, I read it. I had like three different messages, each with a different link about the free returns program, each with different wording.
I'm sorry maybe my thinking is wrong, but when offering a promotion, one should not have to ASK for the benefits of that promotion. If I do not stay on top of this for the next two months, I will be out some money, what I EXPECTED to be automatic. It's 2018, everything is automated these days. They can update anything they want when they want. They've chosen not to make this an automatic credit because then they would have to give them out to every one who is entitled to the credit.
Nothing eBay does is for the benefit of the seller. Not one single glitch that occurs during their platform-wide updates will ever be in the favor of a seller. The emails they send for promotions are not for the benefit of the seller, it is merely a pretty package to entice sellers to conform. Always a catch.

My sales are no better than they were before the change. Nowhere near the 15% boost in sales or visibility. NO change whatsoever, except the fact that I have to ask for my credit that is due to me.
Message 16 of 73
latest reply

Re: I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN WITH FREE RETURNS FORCED ON US AND TAKING AWAY TOP RATED DISCOUNTS

@laurabeardsley wrote:

Well for me since I do not have a store it has only been losses to my benefits and no listing promotions for 18 months now. I am a long time seller and over the years have done everything ebay has asked to earn the benefits but doing free returns was the breaking point for me. I guess everyone has their limits.Just kind of discouraged that after working this hard and long at something I feel I have gone backwards in standing instead of gaining respect from a company that has made quite a lot of money from me. This is certainly not how I would treat my customers!

In case it is not obvious, eBay's direction is for all sellers to behave like large sellers.   One does not have to be a large seller, but one must have policies and practices (e.g., customer service and returns) that are approaching what one would experience with a large seller.

It is not going to be for everyone.

I wonder ... hmmm ... if eBay doesn't work, is there a "perfect one site handling many attractive rare keepsakes"?  It indeed is a puzzling question, with a cryptic answer.

Message 17 of 73
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:

My sales are no better than they were before the change. Nowhere near the 15% boost in sales or visibility. NO change whatsoever, except the fact that I have to ask for my credit that is due to me.

That 15% number is based on going from no returns to free returns ...

Message 18 of 73
latest reply

I agree with Laura. The badge is hard-earned and should not be taken away from us if we are still TRS. The discount is one thing, because that's something they are giving to us as a pat on the back. But that BADGE? I bust my behind every freaking day for that thing. It's very unfair, not just to sellers either. How will buyers easily recognize reputable sellers if they don't see that badge? Everyone knows most people do not click any more than they have to to read descriptions or vet sellers. They look for that badge, and people who are honest, hard-working people on eBay are not getting that recognition, and it is wrong.
Message 19 of 73
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:
They look for that badge, and people who are honest, hard-working people on eBay are not getting that recognition, and it is wrong.

I would agree that buyers should have some distinction between random seller and trusted seller.

But, the problem with TRS is that even dishonest sellers can easily get it ... it is more based on sales volume than anything else (just a rebranded PowerSeller).

Message 20 of 73
latest reply

Really ??. Should I throw a huge party for the "gains" mentioned for 2018 !! -

a) two new store levels ---- has absolutely no benefit at all in reducing losses for fraudulent returns.

b) a new store design that is MUCH more mobile friendly -- It is in ebay's interest to ensure THEIR site is user friendly with mobile devices considering we pay fees for an "up to date" site. Still has absolutely no benefit at all in reducing losses for fraudulent returns.

c) the ability to withhold 50% of refunds for free returns to combat buyer-abuse ---- Great, sell an item for $200, receive back a broken/different item and after 50% refund still out $100 and shipping both ways. Plus, how long before ebay removes the ability to withold "up to 50%", we've seen similar "benefits" removed before.

d) Terapeak pricing tool ----- Has not happened yet so cannot be a benefit

Sorry but nothing ebay has done can sweeten the pot when they allow buyers to run rampant with fraud/theft against the sellers.

It should also be noted there are a lot of huge Retail companies not offering ebay Free Returns, because it is simply financial disaster.

Once again the ebay "one size fits all" does not apply.

Message 21 of 73
latest reply

@needful_little_things wrote:

Sorry but nothing ebay has done can sweeten the pot when they allow buyers to run rampant with fraud/theft against the sellers.

It should also be noted there are a lot of huge Retail companies not offering ebay Free Returns, because it is simply financial disaster.

Once again the ebay "one size fits all" does not apply.

I don't disagree with this at all.

But, it is clear that eBay's pressure on sellers simply means that many sellers can't tolerate these sorts of things, and they'll leave ... from eBay's perspective it doesn't matter if they have 100 sellers selling the WonderWidget or 10 sellers selling the WonderWidget.  So, if eBay loses those 90 sellers then it doesn't affect eBay one bit .... buyers can buy from 10 different sellers just as easily as 100.

Message 22 of 73
latest reply

So your telling us that ebay is helping us to do better by taking away the incentives that were designed to help everyone  to do better.  Thats what it sounds like to me. As far as this free return deal someone needs to start reading the news more and more big businesses are stopping this every day because they are loosing money.  And your right ebay is not my employer. We the sellers who pay the fees are there employers and they need to starter listening to there employers while they still have a job.  

Message 23 of 73
latest reply

I am with you . I have been saying the same thing . The CEO only made 17.6 million last year so they need to squeeze us at the bottom a little more so they can make more for next year . I keep stating the fact that Ebay has nothing to sell if we all leave . I pay Ebay for a service they don't pay me . I am not a ebay employee . their trs badge means nothing to me i have always given top notch service and will continue to do so i don't need e bay to tell me how to treat my customers . I need them to showcase my items to as many people as possible because that's what i am paying them to do , now i get less exposure and get punished for doing nothing wrong . If we all could just pull all are items off e bay for even one week it would send a powerful message that we stand united against ebays outrageous one sided policy . Best wishes
Message 24 of 73
latest reply

@triodiode wrote:

So your telling us that ebay is helping us to do better by taking away the incentives that were designed to help everyone  to do better.  Thats what it sounds like to me.

No.  I am saying that eBay has determined a position/vision in the on-line marketplace, and all their policies are becoming directed toward that vision ... the incentives, likewise, are directed toward that vision.  eBay is simply a sales channel that will not be optimal for every kind of product.  My business does not list everything on eBay, but mostly those items that are compatible with this sales channel's position/vision.  For example ...

• (Most) items I sell that cost over $200 are not listed on here simply because of the theft loophole in the Money Back Guarantee. 
  • I will not list a lightweight, new item with high competition on Amazon, but rather here on eBay ... simply because I would have to do FBA on that item with Amazon, and I can get higher profits on eBay by doing my own warehousing and shipping.
  • We list items that have a history of high returns on another site that has a return policy that better favors the seller.

So, what is eBay's position/vision?  eBay wants to be known as the go-to site for buyers looking for the lowest price and the highest customer service, particularly for new products.  (eBay Motors has a slightly different vision because they still want the variety of used products, and products with high return rates).

Every policy and incentive is pointing to this vision.

• The search algorithms are now trending toward low price and those sellers with high sales velocity ... drop shippers are being weened off eBay.
  • The TRS and TRS+ programs are postured toward high customer service and the most liberal of return policies.
  • The policies of eBay (both published and internal) are geared toward high buyer satisfaction.

@triodiode wrote:

As far as this free return deal someone needs to start reading the news more and more big businesses are stopping this every day because they are loosing money.

I think that sellers on eBay need to understand that eBay is interested in what's best for eBay and not for the random seller on here.  If the two intersect, great, but at the end of the day eBay is going to do what's best for eBay and not you or I.  I do not make my business decisions to benefit eBay, and I don't expect eBay to do that for me.

So, as far as returns, eBay is unique in that they are not like other on-line retailers ... when a buyer returns something to Amazon, Walmart, Costco, Macy's, etc., then it usually costs that retailer money, so they have incentive to have policies that curb returns.

eBay, on the other hand, is not a retailer.  It is a sales channel.  Promoting a liberal return posture costs eBay nothing while at the same time it (presumably) increases their profits.

Each individual seller on this platform does not have to have free returns.  We have them on some items, but not on others ...

• We have free returns on lightweight, low return rate items ... and particularly on high competition items.
  • We do not have it on high return rate items.
  • For items that are over a pound and low return, it is a case-by-case basis.

Message 25 of 73
latest reply

orangehound
HI!
I have seen a decrease in sales since this started. I knew 15% increase would be unrealistic, but I also knew that not conforming to this policy would make sales decline. I wasn't wrong.
There was one day, I had over a dozen orders for a day that is typically slow (Thursdays). Then ... slump. Still ... slump.
Message 26 of 73
latest reply

i feel the same way all the sudden these free returns show up what the heck i never agreed to this they are violating the sellers contracts i did not agree to this they made us change to 30 day and 1 day turn around then took away 20 % and gave 10% that is not how to run a business then i read smewhere they traffic control your store which should be eligle because i pay for a service to have a store ebay should not be able to alter any of my sales i have droped from over 1000.00 a m,onth concecutivle to 1/2 of that in the last 2 years also they never give any promotions to me in the last 3 years which made me pay more to relist my items on top of store fee stuff ive had on there for 3 years because they change the free listings they give you with a store to 500 auctions which hardly nothing sells at auctions now im stuck with all this **bleep** becuse nobody wants to wait 10 days for auction **bleep** used to be you could use buy it now or auction for the listings you pay for then they just change contract when ever they feel filloing the ceo and their pockets more andf more taking away from the seller now cant get out of store without still paying for it stuck
Message 27 of 73
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:
orangehound
HI!
I have seen a decrease in sales since this started. I knew 15% increase would be unrealistic, but I also knew that not conforming to this policy would make sales decline. I wasn't wrong.
There was one day, I had over a dozen orders for a day that is typically slow (Thursdays). Then ... slump. Still ... slump.

I think I did (and am doing) much the same things that you did.  I took advantage of the eBay-Pays-Return-Shipping offer for example ... at present, about half my listings on this account have buyer-paid, and half have seller-paid returns.

I'm not noticing a marked difference in sales velocity between the two groups of items with different returns policies.

Our sales for June are erratic (hot/cold days), but overall we're experiencing very good sales for June ... and, by "very good", I mean as good as December, and much better than 2017.   Good sales velocity on Amazon and Craigslist as well.

So, perhaps it is just our inventory is in demand.

Message 28 of 73
latest reply

i know right like one day it will just explode and then like yesterday and today have not sold nothing i have 1500 items makes no sense my sons store does the same thing its a joke makes no sense at all its not the market and its not my stuff i sell any thing and everything not limited to any one thing so no reason for this any ideas and have you recieved any listing promotins they sttopped giving to me 3 years ago afte i got my store built up to overv 1000 items
Message 29 of 73
latest reply

say do a ban dont relist your items for one day say atbeginning of month see what happens set a date to proove the sellers are really **bleep** off by getting backed stabbed by ebay as we all are saying they keep taking more and more of our profits and keeping them this is garbage changing stuff without notification free returns stealing my money from paypal and holdng it just because they side with buyer if they say its not as described what a joke just had a 2 hundred dollar deal go south where the item said as is for parts and ebay let themm return at my expense after screaming at them for 2 hrs i made them pay for sipping both ways but was not easy ebay is offering this free return without our permission when did this happen
Message 30 of 73
latest reply