cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I file a claim when INR due to misdelivery?

How do I file a claim and get my money back on an item that was never delivered to me because it was misdelivered?  IF I file an INR, eBay will revert to the tracking info which shows "Item delivered at mailbox."  It wasn't. 

To preemptively answer the typical questions: No one else in the household, I checked mailbox within 40-minutes of the time it was stamped as delivered, their are no porch pirates in this neighborhood and they certainly would not have been around at the time it shows delivered as it was a torrential downpour and no none of the neighbors have it.

I checked with the USPS and the GPS tracking shows that the item was scanned delivered on a different street than mine.  So the USPS messed up the delivery and isn't the seller responsible for their shipper and any errors?

I have contacted the seller and heard nothing in response.  Seem like I have already expended energy that the seller should have done?

So how do I work within the eBay system to get a refund?

Message 1 of 127
latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Re: How do I file a claim when INR due to misdelivery?

@academic.ealim.books wrote:

@green-night wrote:

@Anonymous 

if there is evidence the order was not delivered to the address the buyer provided, then the seller has not successfully delivered the item and would be responsible to provide a resolution to their buyer.

And what evidence is that?  A doctored letter on USPS letterhead which I could make in Word in about 15 seconds. 

Once again eBay shows their true colors. 

eBay refuses to do so much for sellers as to thwart a demonstrably false NAD on behalf of sellers, but when it comes to this they become Sherlock Holmes?  I guess not surprising. 

You keep astonishing me with your replies - SMH!

For those that were not paying attention.....  The tracking information that the USPS keeps has Global Positioning System (GPS) data that records the Latitude & Longitude of the location where the package was delivered!  When the carrier delivers the package, just like FedEx & UPS, they scan the bar code on the package, the device records that number and makes note of the GPS location data and transmits that information to the USPS computers.   That GPS data can be easily converted to show the street address of delivery.

NOW THIS IS THE KEY!  The GPS data is available on the USPS intranet system.  As such it is searchable and can be found from any terminal in the USPS system.  Therefore, the seller or the buyer, or both can go to a USPS location and have said information searched out and printed out.

So if you think the your buyer is pulling a fast one, there is nothing stopping you from going to the USPS and getting a printout of the GPS data and presenting that to eBay.  But hey, sellers will have to get out and  go get the information.  So far it isn't available telepathically or on your smart phone.   Just use some of that Nancy Pelosi charm and you should have no problem getting it!  grin

But hey, I could post what said data is available from the USPS so that others could a) see what is available, b) see what it looks like.  But it looks like most are not interested in learning, just railing against eBay & their policies.  SIgh

Oh and where is my G-Note?  Are going to welch on the bet? upside_down

You really should get yourself a posting id. Smiley Happy

Message 106 of 127
latest reply

@trehar_4 wrote:

Just want to clarify something.  How does a seller obtain the GPS tracking for a package that is delivered in another city or state?  When I check tracking at USPS website all I can see is the Date, Time, City, Zip Code, and where the package was left.

YOU have to get up off your backside and go to the appropriate USPS location, talk to a USPS employee and get them to provide you with a print out of the GPS data for that tracking number.

The GPS data is NOT available on the internet, it is only available on the USPS internal intranet!

Message 107 of 127
latest reply

Correction: The GPS data shows where the package was SCANNED as delivered, not where it actually was delivered.

Although they are supposed to make the scan at the delivery point, USPS carriers have been known to bulk scan packages as delivered sitting in their LLV in a neighborhood before loading up to go walk their rounds. IIRC, there is also anecdotal evidence of scans occurring at the PO before rolling out for the day.

So in reality, the GSP data is proof of nothing either, since it can't be determined if it was obtained at the actual delivery location.

However, if GPS location does not match checkout delivery address, eBay considers it misdelivered.
Message 108 of 127
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
Correction: The GPS data shows where the package was SCANNED as delivered, not where it actually was delivered.

Although they are supposed to make the scan at the delivery point, USPS carriers have been known to bulk scan packages as delivered sitting in their LLV in a neighborhood before loading up to go walk their rounds. IIRC, there is also anecdotal evidence of scans occurring at the PO before rolling out for the day.

So in reality, the GSP data is proof of nothing either, since it can't be determined if it was obtained at the actual delivery location.

However, if GPS location does not match checkout delivery address, eBay considers it misdelivered.

Great observation!***  And in my case that is exactly what the Supervisor thought happened.  But hey when it does happen then there is no proof for the seller that an item was properly delivered and thus no seller protection! 

But hey, if this practice by USPS is intolerable for sellers, then they have the opportunity to select another shipping company

But I assume this is a rare occurrence (two mistakes concurrently) and when it does happen, the the "cost" of such would be considered part of the cost of doing business?

*** See!  I knew you were the right guy to page for info on this thread! heart_eyes

Message 109 of 127
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

So the only way that I, as a seller, could be sure the package made it to the buyer would be to purchase an airline ticket to their town, Uber to their house and hand it over to them while making them sign a paper with notary standing by to verify their signature.  My new delivery ... PERSONAL TO YOUR DOOR. Just have lots of coffee when I get there!

Are your serious or just trolling the thread?

No!  Use the GPS data to prove delivery to the address in/on the order.

I once asked my Post Office for the GPS data on something that the receiver said never showed up but tracking said it was delivered and I was told they could not give me that information, even though I was the sender, because it violated the receiver's privacy. What did you PO tell you when you asked? Did you get the actual address where your package was delivered?

No, I'm not trolling ... I just pointing out how silly it would be to try to cover all the bases as a seller.

Message 110 of 127
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

So the only way that I, as a seller, could be sure the package made it to the buyer would be to purchase an airline ticket to their town, Uber to their house and hand it over to them while making them sign a paper with notary standing by to verify their signature.  My new delivery ... PERSONAL TO YOUR DOOR. Just have lots of coffee when I get there!

Are your serious or just trolling the thread?

No!  Use the GPS data to prove delivery to the address in/on the order.

I once asked my Post Office for the GPS data on something that the receiver said never showed up but tracking said it was delivered and I was told they could not give me that information, even though I was the sender, because it violated the receiver's privacy. What did you PO tell you when you asked? Did you get the actual address where your package was delivered?

No, I'm not trolling ... I just pointing out how silly it would be to try to cover all the bases as a seller.

Maybe it was my East Coast charm?  er, no, forget that!  Maybe it was my Nancy Pelosi inspired method of back handed snubs and snotty comments that got me the data?  no, forget that!

Look all I did was ASK.   But then again this was not my first rodeo or first visit to the USPS.  I have been numerous times as I advocate for myself and my buyers to get the services that I paid for.   As you can see from this thread, I am persistent and don't give up easily when offered a stupid answer.  So who knows what "technique" I used of if there is a magic style that works?  I think I have established a relationship with the USPS and that gets things done.

I would not take that 'no' for an answer - privacy?  You got fed a big fat line.  If it were me and I hit that kind of road block, I would politely walk away, turn around and escalate the question to the Post Master.  Failing that the Regional Supervisor.   Also have found that many government agencies and pseudo agencies are responsive to inquires by members of Congress or their staff.  So if you really want an answer....

Silly to try to cover all of the bases as a seller?  Not sure what you are implying with this?  I do note in eBay's reply in post #96 & #97 that correct delivery IS the seller's responsibility! fwiw

Message 111 of 127
latest reply

So I'm still curious if a package gets mis-delivered and the Post Office cannot get it back and it was insured, will the insurance be paid? I know that it would require getting more information and a letter from the PO but it seems if the package did not make it to the rightful receiver that the insurance should kick in.

All of my packages are sent Priority Mail so they have up to $50.00 of insurance. I have no other way to ship magazines because most of mine are too heavy for First Class Package.

Message 112 of 127
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

So I'm still curious if a package gets mis-delivered and the Post Office cannot get it back and it was insured, will the insurance be paid? I know that it would require getting more information and a letter from the PO but it seems if the package did not make it to the rightful receiver that the insurance should kick in.

Here's Muttly's post.

We have no bahamas today.
Message 113 of 127
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@green-night wrote:

@Anonymous 

if there is evidence the order was not delivered to the address the buyer provided, then the seller has not successfully delivered the item and would be responsible to provide a resolution to their buyer.

And what evidence is that?  A doctored letter on USPS letterhead which I could make in Word in about 15 seconds. 

eBay refuses to do so much for sellers as to thwart a demonstrably false NAD on behalf of sellers, but when it comes to this they become Sherlock Holmes?  I guess not surprising. 

Hi @green-night, evidence would be documentation on company letterhead with contact information for an employee of that company and a signature. 

We are not discussing a situation where a seller is not being protected after successfully fulfilling their responsibility to ensure the item is delivered to the buyer. We are discussing what will happen when a seller's chosen courier misdelivers an item and there is evidence to support this. A seller is required to provide proof of delivery - tracking that is found to be incorrect is not proof of delivery.

Message 114 of 127
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@green-night wrote:

@Anonymous 

Hi @green-night, evidence would be documentation on company letterhead with contact information for an employee of that company and a signature. 

We are not discussing a situation where a seller is not being protected after successfully fulfilling their responsibility to ensure the item is delivered to the buyer. We are discussing what will happen when a seller's chosen courier misdelivers an item and there is evidence to support this. A seller is required to provide proof of delivery - tracking that is found to be incorrect is not proof of delivery.

So you are saying that eBay confirms via "contact information" that the documentation they receive is legit? 

Message 115 of 127
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

So you are saying that eBay confirms via "contact information" that the documentation they receive is legit? 

But the requirements for that documentation, however, keeps changing. Compare them today with this answer from 2017, an eon ago.

We have no bahamas today.
Message 116 of 127
latest reply

@coco9619 wrote:

@green-night wrote:

But the requirements for that documentation, however, keeps changing. Compare them today with this answer from 2017, an eon ago.

So what is the answer?  

Does eBay confirm the information they receive or not?

Message 117 of 127
latest reply

@coco9619 

Does eBay verify the USPS letterhead with contact information or not? 

Message 118 of 127
latest reply

@coco9619 wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

Here's Muttly's post.

Yes, I read that ... might isn't will. I wondered if there is some kind of USPS policy on this that is hidden deep down in the thousands of pages of policy. 

Also what happens with the tracking information if the person who received the package that wasn't theirs returns it to the Post Office? Does the local PO make an effort to correctly deliver it or does it get returned to sender?

Message 119 of 127
latest reply

Unfortunately, this is incorrect.  GPS data is where the package was scanned delivered, not where the package was actually delivered.  We all know USPS scans items early, and sometimes not at all.  My local driver scans all my neighborhoods packages at the front pool, before driving around delivering them.  I've gotten GPS tracking data on a lost package from a postmaster with "Yep, it was delivered to your mailbox" only to have a kind neighbor on the other side of the neighborhood drop off my mis-delivered package later that day.  GPS data from USPS is insanely unreliable.  Ultimately it falls to the buyer to have a safe place for their packages to be delivered, and that's why I grabbed a box at the local UPS store, because my USPS route guys can't be relied on.

Message 120 of 127
latest reply