cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx refuses to authorize pick-up on a package!

I sent a package $600 value via fedex with signature required (big mistake). The buyer is never home when they attempt delivery. The buyer has attempted to get fedex to hold for pick-up like any logical carrier would do. They refused because he didn't have authorization to do that. So I called fedex as the shipper and they refused my authorization because it's shipped through e-Bay. Of course e-Bay doesn't have the ability to do anything about this issue so now I have to wait 2 weeks for the shipment to come back to me. Is there any way around this with fedex? What a terrible experience and completely illogical that the recipient can't take that door note in to get it picked up like any other carrier would do. So frustrated!

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: FedEx refuses to authorize pick-up on a package!

If the buyer requests a refund they will get it. And that is just what happened today. I don't have the product and now they want to cancel the order.  Now the question is when do I refund? When the product has made it back to me? It sounds like it's going to sit at a warehouse for 2 weeks before that happens and now they have opened a ticket.

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

@toytrekker wrote:

I sent a package $600 value via fedex with signature required (big mistake). The buyer is never home when they attempt delivery.

The buyer has attempted to get fedex to hold for pick-up like any logical carrier would do. They refused because he didn't have authorization to do that.

So I called fedex as the shipper and they refused my authorization because it's shipped through e-Bay. 

e-Bay l-ocked d-own t-heir F-edEx a-ccount @toytrekker.

zgnisaer_0-1719297673244.jpeg

So no reroute, presignature, or alternate pickup is allowed on the eBay FedEx labels: The package must be delivered at the address on its label, or it will be returned.

And when that non-delivery happens eBay considers it Delivered, so that if the buyer starts an Item Not Received refund request, the case will close without a refund and feedback is blocked or removed.

Of course when that non-refund happens, the buyer can either anticiplate and skip attempting the eBay MBG altogether and jump/or proceed to their funding source to get their refund.

But you're covered by eBay Seller Protection if the buyer did file and lose an INR at eBay, then files the same-type claim -- another INR -- at their funding source, and eBay not the seller will pay for the refund.

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

Wow that is messed up. 

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

Btw this information may be false. E-bay ruled in the buyers favor before the item was sent back to me.

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

@toytrekker 

I'm a bit late to this party, and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with FedEx allowing your buyer to pick up a package requiring Signature Confirmation (SC) that was initially undeliverable.  (Full disclosure, I'm one of the few sellers here for whom FedEx is my preferred shipper, particularly here in the Northeast Corridor and for the fragile items that I sell.  I find them very easy to work with.)

If it makes you feel any better, even if you had not required SC when you initially purchased your FedEx label from eBay, FedEx would have added an SC requirement on your shipment after the fact due to the dollar amount.  Earlier this year, FedEx lowered its automatic SC requirement, applying it to any shipment with a Declared Value over $499.

I know this because I recently had a sale for two items valued at about $630, and the buyer and I had a conversation about how SC would not be required here because the value of the parcel's contents was below eBay's stated $750 SC threshold.  Since she was not planning on being home during weekdays, she was particularly pleased to hear this.  It wasn't until I dropped the parcel off at FedEx and went online to check the tracking details, that I saw that the SC requirement was indeed applied to this shipment.  I knew that I hadn't paid for SC, so I called eBay and then the FedEx depot in my town and asked FedEx to hold the parcel so that I could race back down there with a new label from my own FedEx account that I knew would not have the SC requirement. (I was assuming that this was some sort of eBay glitch.)  It was then that the FedEx regional manager told me that swapping labels in this case wouldn't matter:  He told me that FedEx's SC threshold had recently been lowered -- which neither I nor the eBay rep that I spoke to prior to this call knew -- and that FedEx's requirement superseded eBay's SC requirement, $750).  So I contacted the buyer, who was thankfully very understanding, and we decided to let this delivery play out.  Fortunately, FedEx delivered the parcel very early in the morning while my buyer was still at home, so she was able to sign for the parcel.  She loved the items, and my sale had a happy ending.  But there was considerable hand-wringing prior to delivery for both of us, because my buyer absolutely did not want SC, and I was worried that having that requirement slapped on by an entity other than me might make me look less than trustworthy and amateurish in front of this very important customer.

So, if FedEx is your preferred shipper and SC is something you wish to side-step, just make sure the value of your sale is less than $499.  Otherwise, you'll need to use another carrier for shipments between $500-749.

Kevin

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Great info, and i'm glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately this scenario has not been resolved yet for me. The buyer received a refund via e-Bay because I took too long as I was hoping that it would at least show movement to sender before issuing a refund but I admit it was taking too long and should have issued a refund to the buyer. When you lose a case like that e-Bay keeps the final value seller fees but I did manage to call and get that credited. However I am still without my package 11 days after the last movement. I called FedEx customer service which was very difficult to communicate with these people. They told me the package is lost and to file a claim. I tried to file a claim but the website failed to even submit it 4 times, due to some sort of error. "Claim creation has failed at this moment, please try again. Tried on 2 different browsers and on my phone. I'd like to be hopeful that it really is being returned to sender and that the 2 reps I talked are just robots that tell you to file a claim after 10 days. 1 rep said to go to a fedex office to submit a claim. Fedex office says that's not possible that I have to do it online. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Message 36 of 36
latest reply