cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx refuses to authorize pick-up on a package!

I sent a package $600 value via fedex with signature required (big mistake). The buyer is never home when they attempt delivery. The buyer has attempted to get fedex to hold for pick-up like any logical carrier would do. They refused because he didn't have authorization to do that. So I called fedex as the shipper and they refused my authorization because it's shipped through e-Bay. Of course e-Bay doesn't have the ability to do anything about this issue so now I have to wait 2 weeks for the shipment to come back to me. Is there any way around this with fedex? What a terrible experience and completely illogical that the recipient can't take that door note in to get it picked up like any other carrier would do. So frustrated!

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Signatures are not required by eBay until 750 bucks. When a package is sent signature required, only the shipper can redirect the package or put a hold on it. 

Unless the buyer catches up with FedEx, you will end up getting it back, be required to refund the buyer in whole and take the loss for the shipping.  You should not have sent it signature required, at least through FedEx. There was no "extra" protection with the signature.  A delivery scan is all you need under 750. 

It might suck, but sometimes knowing how things work is priceless. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Must be a local thing. I frequently take the door note in and get my package. 

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Yes buyer said they took the note in and they still refused to help them. So unacceptable. FedEx NEVER AGAIN

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

maybe this be a blessing and his id didnt match?

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

FedEx should have a corporate # that can assist. Something is amiss.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Signatures are not required by eBay until 750 bucks. When a package is sent signature required, only the shipper can redirect the package or put a hold on it. 

Unless the buyer catches up with FedEx, you will end up getting it back, be required to refund the buyer in whole and take the loss for the shipping.  You should not have sent it signature required, at least through FedEx. There was no "extra" protection with the signature.  A delivery scan is all you need under 750. 

It might suck, but sometimes knowing how things work is priceless. 

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Lesson learned I guess I thought it was $500 how it was in the old days.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

The customer support on fedex might as well just be a chat bot, they run off of a script and they can't go off it. Keep repeating the same things over for something I didn't say.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

Unless the buyer catches up with FedEx, you will end up getting it back, be required to refund the buyer in whole and take the loss for the shipping. 

No they won't.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

Unless the buyer catches up with FedEx, you will end up getting it back, be required to refund the buyer in whole and take the loss for the shipping. 

No they won't.

The listing had free shipping, so they will take a loss on it.

If they hadn't shipped with SC, which was not mentioned in the listing, it could have been delivered.

Have a great day.
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

@toytrekker wrote:

Lesson learned I guess I thought it was $500 how it was in the old days.

@toytrekker 

I don’t think it ever was $500.  I believe the requirement jumped from $250 to $750.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

No they won't.

If they hadn't shipped with SC, which was not mentioned in the listing, it could have been delivered.

Attempted delivery is the same as delivery to ebay.

They don't have to refund in full or at all on ebay.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

No they won't.

Attempted delivery is the same as delivery to ebay.

They don't have to refund in full or at all on ebay.

It's not the buyers fault the seller added signature confirmation when it wasn't needed and no mention about it.

If it had been mentioned in the listing and the buyer knew they wouldn't be able to sign for it, they probably wouldn't have bought it.

They might not have to refund on Ebay, but I bet their credit card will see it different.

Have a great day.
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

If it had been mentioned in the listing and the buyer knew they wouldn't be able to sign for it, they probably wouldn't have bought it.

They might not have to refund on Ebay, but I bet their credit card will see it different.

Maybe, maybe not.

It isn't the seller's fault the buyer can't/won't pick it up or FedEx won't let the buyer have it either.

If the seller partially refunds minus the shipping ebay will cover them on a chargeback and might cover them whole anyway since the buyer is opting themselves out of the MBG.

There is no scenario where the seller needs to be out shipping unless they refund out of the goodness of their heart.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

@toytrekker I agree that you shouldn't have included s.c. for a $600 item but I'm not sure about whether you have to take a hit on shipping. 

If a buyer isn't available to receive an item and that's the reason it's RTS, generally ebay sees that as delivery since it would be on the buyer that it wasn't delivered. 

However your adding s.c. when it wasn't necessary throws a wrench into the mix. 

In this case, I think the error was on your part and you should make the buyer whole, but only after you receive the item back. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 35
latest reply