cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay shipping prices MUCH HIGHER than actual USPS prices

I listed a pair of used shoes, had all my shipping details correct(weight etc), and quoted a flat rate of 13$ for the buyer. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention when paying for the label because I ended up paying 38$ to ship a 1-3lb USPS priority mail package--which I have personally shipped for roughly 10$ several times. I assumed the 38$ was the money left over from deducting shipping funds because the sold price was around 50. Why did I pay this absolutely foolish price?? Have never once paid more than 15$ to ship anything of any size on eBay, and I wish I had focused when printing this label but I was rushing at that moment. Obviously, there's no way to get reimbursed for this and it's my fault for not being thorough but this leaves me with a rather poor feeling.... I will definitely not consider eBay before any other seller platform if this is what I gotta pay for convenient shipping 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Ebay shipping prices MUCH HIGHER than actual USPS prices

It looks like based on the label you purchased you were charged the correct amount for a 17 X 7 X 17 package.

You were charged the DIM Weight Price not the 3 pound rate.

Is you box actually 17 X 7 X 17 or is there a typo?  If you have been shipping this size box before it seems unlikely you could have shipped for $10 to $13.

stephenmorgan_0-1711942778299.png

stephenmorgan_3-1711943503283.png

stephenmorgan_2-1711943464384.png

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

I find eBay's prices for USPS prices to be spot on with USPS commercial pricing on their website.

If your costs are turning up higher you might want to consider getting a new scale for weighing items and measuring device for dimensions, because something is off if you think eBay charges more. 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@wowitszak 

Why are you shipping in such a large box? If your measurements are correct (as you claim they are), you're being correctly (sur)charged. 17" x 7" x 17" gets surcharged. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

You were using a flat rate of $13 for anywhere in the US. It is a risk to use a flat rate rather than calculated shipping, especially for something a bit heavier such as shoes. I don't know if that was the problem in this case but it is a good idea to use calculated shipping with the total weight and dimensions of your package. That way someone in the next state will pay less than someone across the country. 

Since your listing stated ‘standard shipping’ you could have used ground advantage instead of Priority.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@wowitszak wrote:

The service is indeed priority mail. There is no wording of express on the label. The weight on the label is up to 3 lbs, and dimensions are fine as verified from label and countless previously shipped shoes. 

USPS charges a "dimensional weight" for packages that are over 1 cubic foot (i.e., 1728 cubic inches).  Their formula for dimensional weight is volume (in cubic inches) divided by 166. If those dimensions are correct (i.e., 17 x 17 x 7 inches), then the postage rate would be based on a "dimensional weight" of 13 pounds rather than on the weight that shows on a scale. 

The eBay price for a Priority Mail label for those dimensions would range from $12.67 to $45.00 depending on the recipient's location.  

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@wowitszak wrote:

The weight and dimensions are also as expected(attached). 

If that is true, you need to find a smaller box for your shoes.  

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@wowitszak wrote:

In this image, the previous listing(didnt go through btw) was eBay-provided shipping calculation. In the recent transaction(the one this post is about) I specifically set a price of $13. As far as the other concerns addressed it isn't accidentally expressed, I have the label its USPS priority mail as expected. The weight and dimensions are also as expected(attached). sent from Illinois to Washington state  https://publuu.com/flip-book/451262/1017533  

@wowitszak 

Actually, the "dimensions" are way too big for a pair of shoes.  17 x 17 x 17 =4913 cubic inches and carriers typically start Dimensional weight (now called Cubic rate by USPS) at 12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 cubic inches.  So again, this is your mistake and your error and as mentioned in my post up thread, you need to check your listings and correct them.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 22 of 22
latest reply